BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #1
mrk
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E82 1M

Heading East for a 1M

I started my quest for a fully-loaded VO 1M back in January. I first went to BMW of San Francisco, where I had purchased my E46 M3 and E60 M5 (along with motorcycles prior to the dealership selling off that franchise), but was told no 1M orders were being accepted, no names were being taken, three allocation slots were being configured with color and options chosen by the dealership and the cars would be heavily marked up when they arrived. Unwilling to pay a markup, I chose to explore using a COSTCO membership to cut through the negotiating of price, but in the Bay Area, only Peter Pan BMW participates in the program.

I became third on the waiting list for a 1M at Peter Pan BMW back in January, missing the second slot by a few days. The months past and more information posted on 1ADDICTS added to the uncertainty in my mind on if Peter Pan BMW was going to get at least three allocations. My sales associate at Peter Pan BMW was keeping me informed over the months, including on the status of the first two allocation slots, but was not forthcoming on the total number of allocations the dealership was entitled to. Knowing BMWSF had already received their first 1M (and marked it up $5K over MSRP) prior to the first slot at Peter Pan BMW receiving their production number, I started to think outside-the-box by searching dealer inventories using autotrader.com and cars.com. In early June, I made a few inquiries to a dealer in Texas and Arizona, but both indicated the 1M postings were formalities and the cars were already sold (and in one case, not even received yet). I let a little more time pass, but curiosity led me to search once again, this time to find an AW 1M with a few options in Honolulu, a no-optioned VO 1M in South Denver and a fully-loaded VO 1M in New York.

The next morning, Friday, I called BMW of Bayside in New York, asking if the VO 1M posted on their Web site was still available. When Charlie C. told me they had the car for less than two days and a few people were interested but no one has purchased it yet, I told him, “I’ll take it.” I asked if I could put a deposit down to secure the car in my name and he asked when I would like to come in to the dealership. When I explained that I was in California, I think I caught him off-guard. Nonetheless, after verifying that I was not planning to export the car (a BMWNA formality), we exchanged a few faxes and e-mails, a sold sign was placed on the car and it was pulled from the showroom and sent for final prep. I then booked myself on a jetBlue red-eye flight Friday night to JFK, arriving early Saturday morning to pick up my new 1M (Charlie C. even offered several times to pick me up at JFK). I arrived at BMW of Bayside early Saturday morning before the dealership actually opened. All of the sales staff were there, attending a meeting. Charlie C. greeted me before I even got to the door. I spent a little time bullshitting with many of the sales staff and management (all of who are well-informed BMW fans and some of the nicest people I have ever encountered at any automobile dealership), all who were sadden to see their first of two 1M allocations leave the lot. After signing papers, synchronizing my iPhone and enabling the Sirius radio into my account, I was off and driving across the George Washington Bridge before 10:30 Saturday morning, headed back to California.

I managed to make it back to California in three days, overnighting in Chicago and Cheyenne. Midway through the journey home, the 1M wanted its first service (oil and rear differential fluid changes). I stumbled across a BMW dealership in Nebraska, but it was Sunday afternoon (Father’s Day), and the service department was not open. Charlie C. from BMW of Bayside maintained contact with me on my journey home, making sure everything was okay. He made offers to try to locate a dealership that may be able to assist with the first service, but I decided to press on back to California, where I had already made arrangements via e-mail to BMWSF for a service appointment.

The low point of the journey was watching a brand new VO 1M get covered in bugs and insects. Heavy rains in Nebraska and Wyoming helped clean some of them off and I stopped once at a self-serve pressure car wash, but there were times when the bugs seemed to accumulate faster than they could be cleaned off. Heartbreaking at times.

The high point was working with Charlie C. and everyone else at BMW of Bayside. They made the whole purchasing transaction smooth and seamless, including with the complexities of California DMV and purchasing a vehicle out-of-state. There was no hidden agendas, mark-ups, attitudes, bad surprises or shady behaviors. In less than 24-hours a complex transaction took place with precision and ease. If anything, I was caught off-guard by the generosity and politeness of everyone at BMW of Bayside (something BMW dealers in California should learn and practice).

With respect to the 1M, the car is great. It has different driving characteristics than a E46 M3 or a E60 M5. The torque is fantastic and the overall drive is great on both open roads as well as winding mountain passes. The car will draw attention, even in the smallest of mid-America towns. The only annoyance that I encountered relates to the gloss black finish on the outside rear view mirrors, which will reflect lane markers and stripes as if the car was outfitted with a lane departure warning device (after a while, I got use to it, but it does catch the corner of your eye).

For those of you who are still looking for a 1M, I wish you the best of luck. I have released my third spot at Peter Pan, but that allocation may be in Never Never Land. Others have mentioned making numerous phone calls to locate a dealer who would be willing to take a deposit for a perspective allocation slot (not even a guaranteed slot). There are also posts indicating how California dealers (both Southern and Northern) are trying to gouge people with huge mark-ups. There are dealers out there who have allocations coming in with no names attached to them. I wish BMW of Bayside had more allocations so everyone could experience how great they are.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
jnm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: fast, but could be faster

I put a deposit at that dealership back in Feb and have been told I am #4 on the list there, your message makes me very happy!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

Wow!! Talk about a journey that went very smooth for ya. Congrats on the 1M.
I would go visit a few Cali stealerships and shop the car around for ball busting purposes

As for this statement "The only annoyance that I encountered relates to the gloss black finish on the outside rear view mirrors, which will reflect lane markers and stripes as if the car was outfitted with a lane departure warning device (after a while, I got use to it, but it does catch the corner of your eye)."

I get this with my 135i (early mirrors) it was really spooky for a few weeks in the beginning. Have gotten used to it and don't noticed it anymore.
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 05:25 AM   #4
1mGator
1mGator
United_States
Rep
Drives: Valencia 1M

Wow, Congratulations - now that's a "break in" getting to know your car road trip with serious passion about owning one of these beauties! Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 06:46 AM   #5
rogbmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpina B12 5.0

Congratulations - and glad you enjoyed the drive!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #6
Grey Dove
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Sold for a reptile

Love story's with a happy ending. Nice post, congrats!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 03:41 PM   #7
toni8284
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [10.00]
2016 M3  [0.00]
I saw this car on the autotrader but I'm too late.

But congrats on the 1M. I hope I can see mine before end of the year.
2014 F10 M5 LCI (SOLD)
2011 VO 1M (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 04:53 PM   #8
Antomero
Bavarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 14 Q5 14 Abarth

Great post!!! Lots of luck..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2011, 10:14 PM   #9
jnm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: fast, but could be faster

BTW for info your slot in the waiting list did indeed go to 'never never land', the GM of the dealership decided to use that slot to order a 'company car' (loaded with extra carbon bits) which I would not be surprised will end up on the lot with a 'market adjustment' price tag and I'm still left waiting (and hoping for) them getting a fourth allocation! ): !
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 08:30 AM   #10
FLEX///M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.34]
Beautiful! Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 09:15 AM   #11
TUNEDM3
Stay Ripping
Rep
Drives: 1M

Congrats on finding the car you wanted. The sales dept is great at Bayside, but thank god you dont have to service it there.
      07-08-2011, 09:46 AM   #12
mrk
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5, E82 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnm View Post
BTW for info your slot in the waiting list did indeed go to 'never never land', the GM of the dealership decided to use that slot to order a 'company car' (loaded with extra carbon bits) which I would not be surprised will end up on the lot with a 'market adjustment' price tag and I'm still left waiting (and hoping for) them getting a fourth allocation! ): !
Sorry to hear Peter Pan BMW is playing games. I was told the third allocation for BMWSF was also staying in-house, leaving fewer units for sale in the Bay Area.
Appreciate 0