BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-27-2011, 03:19 AM   #1
resonance
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2003 Evolution

1M search woes... any tips?

Hey all,

Just joined, but have been a lurker for about a month now. I'm late to the game in trying to find a 1M and have a deposit at my local dealership, #2 on the list. They don't seem to have any allocations, or atleast my SA and the person doing the ordering aren't aware of them or how they work. So I feel like I'm in one of those situations where there is slim outside chance of getting one, but I'm looking to improve my situation by taking matters into my own hands, and attempting to contact dealers in my state and neighboring states to find out if they have any avaliable allocations that are unspoken for.

The problem is, when I call, i get SAs that are totally unaware of anything in most cases. They tell me how rare and great the car is, then ask me if I want a manual or automatic and what color interior i would like . They aren't familiar with the car in most cases, in other cases they have no idea what I'm talking about with "allocations". Sometimes i luck up and get someone that atleast is intelligent but not so informed, but most times I'm striking out in this initial dig for info.

I've done alot of reading now on this site and others familiarizing myself with the BMW ordering system and the status codes, how allocations are assigned to the delerships, the build process and etc. I also have a friend that ordered a e46 330 years ago with custom uncommon options for North America and have tried leveraging his experiance. So I feel like I'm informed, however I'm running into this common problem with uneducated SAs from the dealerships I'm contacting (even my local one). As informed as I may (or may not be), I feel limited by the employees of these various dealerships... its like one big random crapshoot and somewhat frustrating.

Who would be "in the know" of how many allocations they are even going to get at each respective dealership? I know this is no gurantee they will share that information with me, but I need an idea of who to start with. I've been talking to SAs... but who should I ask for, general manager, sales manager, etc.? I have some dealerships that tell me they have them coming, but then won't tell me how they know, what the rough allocation/build date is and then request a 5k down non-refundable deposit. Doesn't give me the warm and fuzzys, and I feel like I'm playing the slimey car salesman game with some, and others, I just can't tell if they know anything .

So... any advice on who I should be talking to and what question i should ask if they seem to know (or not know) about how many 1Ms they have been allocated? Anything I can ask for to "prove" they have an allocation and that they just don't want to collect my non-refundable deposit? Any success stories that you would mind sharing with cutting thru the BS? Thanks in advance, and keep up the good work, I've enjoyed reading these forums and the friendly community!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 06:01 AM   #2
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonance View Post
Hey all,

I also have a friend that ordered a e46 330 years ago ....
Wow, the E46 is older than I thought!

on a serious note, I would expand the search further. GA dealerships had a few left in early June but might be gone now. Do your homework on the dealer. There are a few good rating sites ( Google).

I think I called about 25 places within a 1000 mile radius before I found a dealer 5 miles from me had one!

Last edited by b33g33; 06-27-2011 at 09:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
E821M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M/330CI ZHP

Every dealer in the US is guaranteed at least one allocation. After that intial alloacation, additional ones are determined by a mixture of of 3 factors: total vehicle sales, total M sales, and total 1 series sales. The smallest of dealers will likely only receive one allocation, while larger ones will receive several. You might want to go to the BMWUSA website and use the dealer locater and look for dealerships across the country that are small(not many cars in their current inventory). It is possible that these dealers in smaller areas population wise might not have anyone in line for their single allocation due to less demand in those particular areas. It seems, at least on these forums, that most of the larger dealers allocations are already spoken for. As for who to speak to when contacting dealers, try to speak to the sales manager or general manager. They will be more knowledgeable as to the number of total allocations they are receiving and how many they have left to offer.

Last edited by E821M; 06-27-2011 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #4
Blue55
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M

Try David Theado at Dave Walter BMW in Ohio. Last I heard he had an allocation left.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue55 View Post
Try David Theado at Dave Walter BMW in Ohio. Last I heard he had an allocation left.

This allocation is available at MSRP. It is indicated to be a late season, with production in 40th week (october).. They WILL do ED, but not at ED MSRP, at the US MSRP.

I spent my Friday (and part of today) calling literally all dealers in a number of states across the country, with the exception of the following states...

Pennsylvania - 20 dealers
California - 53 dealers
New York - 25 dealers
New Jersey - 19 dealers
Florida - 27 dealers
Illinois - 16 dealers
Connecticut - 8 dealers - called 2 of 8, but rudness made me move on

I had already had a good idea of what is going on in most of the SW.. so I expanded up through the center of the country and then on towards each coast, working state by state. I didn't call the BMW center in Alaska or Puerto Rico. I am aware that PR has a vehicle on site with a price of 69K OBO, I presume that is their allocation, and I assume that an Alaska dealer would decline an allocation for a 1M.

As I posted in the military thread, the majority of late season allocations are either listed as " late fall", or if a month is given, then October or December is the month indicated. I presume that September and November production is focused on other parts of the world, military sales etc.

For those looking to buy a car NOW and not wait for production.

There will be a blk/blk loaded car at Walker BMW in Louisiana - it is being prepped now for their showroom ..

There will be a VO/blk loaded car at BMW of Myrtle beach ( or was it Hilton Head BMW ? ) for their grand opening of their new store in late summer.

And of course there is a car in California that is well known. Many CAs on the W coast were aware of this.

In general, I found that reps in southern states and western states were most helpful. Most of the midwest, and especially the East coast states appear to be very well picked over, and the upper NE. very well picked over, which is why I have left those states for last, as well as the fact that the client advisors were a little more rude/suspicious that I am a broker. Many were already asking if I was calling for myself or as a broker based on the non local area code on caller ID. Some stores have decided to retain their allocations for local customers (as is their right)..

At this point.. my estimated 150 contact attempts have yielded about 15 locations that have allocations remaining. Of these, none were open allocations to be picked up immediately, all are scheduled for fall.

I have had 2-3 people contact me offline requesting info. Once I can secure an allocation for myself, I will be happy to share the info. I have. If someone wants to take the initiative to contact states I have not called, I will be even more inclinced to share info with that person as I don't anticipate being able to complte the remaining states til the end of next week (I do actually have a day job!).

In the past, new allocations have come out the first week of the month. Any dealer I contacted that has a pending allocation has my info and instructions to contact me ASAP.

As far as tips for calling yourself....

1- Identify yourself as an individual.... there are many lease company dealers/brokers doing the same thing.
2- Be polite...and conversational... think about this as you are on your 47th call..
3- Try and get to the bottom of things as quickly as possible.
has their allocation(s) been sold or been delivered already?
Does the dealer have a waiting list of people on deposit if they have pending allocatiions?

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 07-03-2011 at 01:04 AM.. Reason: removed info on Indiana allocation
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 09:43 PM   #6
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
I assume that an Alaska dealer would decline an allocation for a 1M.
They sure as hell better not. There are three of us on their wait list.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 12:46 AM   #7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: always changing

for what's worth, my friend just picked up his this week. Alpine White / black, loaded car. $2,500 over he paid. he's looking to either sell the car or have someone take over the lease. changed his mind to the new M5.

if anyone is looking for a car in CA. PM me for detail. car has less than 100 miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 12:47 AM   #8
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERR FSTIR View Post
They sure as hell better not. There are three of us on their wait list.
LOL.. Well it's not snowy all year round... FWIW.. I also didn't call Hawaii...
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 12:48 AM   #9
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2045 View Post
for what's worth, my friend just picked up his this week. Alpine White / black, loaded car. $2,500 over he paid. he's looking to either sell the car or have someone take over the lease. changed his mind to the new M5.

if anyone is looking for a car in CA. PM me for detail. car has less than 100 miles on it.

That's hilarious. " I think I want a 2 +2... no wait... a big sedan... "

He is only 100 miles in....?? I am sure he can trade it back in at the dealer... they can turn it around and mark it up again... and probably make him a sweet deal on an M5... and they can make money hand over fist over fist..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 12:53 AM   #10
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's hilarious. I think I want a 2 +2... no wait... a big sedan...
when time comes, it's not even a question. i want one too.

nothing beats driving the newest $shit on the block. the new M5 should be awesome. it's big, but it laps the ring 20 secs faster than the 1M. haha..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 01:44 AM   #11
!mspinster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 2011 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2045 View Post
when time comes, it's not even a question. i want one too.

nothing beats driving the newest $shit on the block. the new M5 should be awesome. it's big, but it laps the ring 20 secs faster than the 1M. haha..
It may be newer but it ain't the fastest around the ring. If you care so much about ring numbers why don't you or your friend get a Corvette or GTR?

It's funny when someone says stuff like that, makes me think that you and your friend are just posers not enthusiasts or drivers. You guys just want something new and just to show off.

Anyhow good luck with your friends car.

Last edited by !mspinster; 07-03-2011 at 02:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 01:48 AM   #12
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by !mspinster View Post
It may be newer but it ain't the fastest around the ring. If you care so much about ring numbers why doesn't you or your friend get a Corvette or GTR?
please. i'm no where going off track on topic nor discussing which is better or superior. we all know what it is & it's all about. i for one who really doesn't give crap about Ring time. it was just a joke. lol.

take it easy. i have less than 0 interest in Vette or GTR. regardless how fast they are.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2011, 02:12 AM   #13
HERR FSTIR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2C, VO 1M, GSA 1200

Garage List
Quote:
LOL.. Well it's not snowy all year round...
Yeah we do get a few months of sun. The 1M will get a lot of garage time in the middle of winter and I will have to use my "winter beater" 335xi.
Appreciate 0