BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
bimmer74
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan

Drove a 1M today

I had a chance to drive a black 1M earlier today. Just a few miles and in some traffic so this is not a comprehensive review, just a few observations from a 128i owner:

- the suspension felt great - very controlled and composed and to my surprise quite compliant, almost as comfy as my 128i with non-rft 17's and sport suspension. Grip was great - a lot of fun on an on-ramp :-)

- the engine had gobs of torque, especially for someone coming from a NA engine. There was a bit of turbo lag but not much. It was addictive for sure.

- the transmission was very precise and slotted into gears nicely. The throttle was definitely more responsive than a 128's. There is a bit of annoying delay in my car between depressing the throttle and the engine reacting. It was quite a bit better in the 1M. The clutch hooked up perfectly, not too high, not too low. Even someone with little experience driving manuals would feel comfortable with the 1M setup pretty quick. Very nice.

- exhaust sounded really nice with a deep burble and aggressive tone under acceleration

- the car looks badass. The bulging fenders and aggressive bumpers make it look like a tough little bulldog. Or maybe Stewie Griffin on steriods :-)

- the interior was pretty much standard issue 1 series. I wish they made it feel a bit more special, such as put in the M3 seats.

Overall the car was an absolute blast. I want one bad. I need to figure out where I can sell a kidney so I can upgrade.

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #2
lhsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: kia

congrats on finding one to test! can't believe it wasn't sold.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Man...should have traded your 128 in on the spot.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
edwardio
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW 1M COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
you know that,or at worse stole it...kiddin
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2011, 08:50 PM   #5
UsualSuspect
Lieutenant General ***
United_States
Rep
Drives: this way and that way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer74 View Post
I had a chance to drive a black 1M earlier today. Just a few miles and in some traffic so this is not a comprehensive review, just a few observations from a 128i owner:

- the suspension felt great - very controlled and composed and to my surprise quite compliant, almost as comfy as my 128i with non-rft 17's and sport suspension. Grip was great - a lot of fun on an on-ramp :-)

- the engine had gobs of torque, especially for someone coming from a NA engine. There was a bit of turbo lag but not much. It was addictive for sure.

- the transmission was very precise and slotted into gears nicely. The throttle was definitely more responsive than a 128's. There is a bit of annoying delay in my car between depressing the throttle and the engine reacting. It was quite a bit better in the 1M. The clutch hooked up perfectly, not too high, not too low. Even someone with little experience driving manuals would feel comfortable with the 1M setup pretty quick. Very nice.

- exhaust sounded really nice with a deep burble and aggressive tone under acceleration

- the car looks badass. The bulging fenders and aggressive bumpers make it look like a tough little bulldog. Or maybe Stewie Griffin on steriods :-)

- the interior was pretty much standard issue 1 series. I wish they made it feel a bit more special, such as put in the M3 seats.

Overall the car was an absolute blast. I want one bad. I need to figure out where I can sell a kidney so I can upgrade.

I'm in Boston...is it someone's car you know or at a dealer?
      06-27-2011, 10:06 PM   #6
bimmer74
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
It was a press car. If the car was available for sale, I would have probably bought it on impulse right there. It was really that good.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 02:25 AM   #7
lhsa
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: kia

i knew there was a catch. i can't imagine a dealership giving test drives on such a high demand car.
Appreciate 0