BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-05-2011, 01:52 AM   #1
treefingers
Registered
Rep
Drives: '07 WRX STi

Advice: Considering moving to a 1m

So, I'm considering trading my car in for a 1m, provided that my dealership has an allocation left, but I would like to hear some opinions from those who own the car. Currently, I own a modified Subaru STi, which produces 380WHP and 395WTQ. I absolutely enjoy the car, but I've been in love with the 135i for as long as it's been in production; further, the idea of an M edition 1 series has always seemed brilliant. There are a few concerns, though.

I. The 1M will unfortunately be slower than my current vehicle.
II. The 1M is not AWD, which might make winter a bit difficult.
III. My trade in will probably be somewhere in between 23-25,xxx. This begs the question: Is the 1M really 30,000 dollars more car than my Subaru? Sure, it is bound to be more comfortable, and, in my opinion, more aesthetically pleasing, but I just don't know. If I wasn't so attracted to BMW's maintenance plan on new vehicles, I would just buy a second-hand 997.

Ultimately, the question is aimed at those who currently own 1M's. Would I, in your opinion, get more of a "driving experience" in a 1M? Further, what car did you own previously, and what, ultimately, lead you to the new purchase?

Thanks-
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 06:18 AM   #2
max08e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

The 1M might be initially slower do to your extensive mods on the STI, but think about the potential and how easy it is to turn more power out of the twin turbo motor. I've gone from an 05 STI with 320WHP to a slightly modified E46 and though there was a slight loss in power I can assure you that every other aspect of the car shines more than the STI. One can only assume that the case will be the same for the 1M, which is why I am looking for one as well. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 06:34 AM   #3
Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

do you really need awd for winter?

Indiana gets more snow than Ottawa?
      07-05-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Bmw 228xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsims View Post
do you really need awd for winter?

Indiana gets more snow than Ottawa?
I'm in Buffalo NY and have driven all my Cars with snow tires. I think we probably get more snow than you (at least our reputation says that). My previous car was a e46 M3 and before that a very highly modified e36 M3. I've never been stuck. The traction control etc slowly gets you started but you do go. You drive smooth and use common sense and it is just fine. I've been in some pretty heavy snow and I get there.

I am autoxing this car and it is stupid fun! You will find it is lighter and more nimble than your car. This is why I have abandoned the 3 series. I am going down to NC in a couple of weeks to get my track tires from my son and can't wait to autox with them. As far as handling it is tail happy but it ultimately sticks. Very good road feel with minimal turbo lag. It is not a high rever like my M3 but the torque is much more and more immediate.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
treefingers
Registered
Rep
Drives: '07 WRX STi

Actually both of the cars weigh just about the same at right around 3,200 pounds, if I'm not mistaken. I'm quite taken to the 1M, but predominately due to it's good looks and, ostensibly, the throwback to what M cars should be. Although, while I'm not happy about it's weight, it does weight considerably less than an M3. Which, for the price, is another car to consider.

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

I'd really like to go for a ride in a 1M to get an idea, but there just aren't any in my area.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
LOL, you'd have more fun in a 135i than your subie. All my subie friends do. The 1M would be even better. The 1er is whatever you make it to be. The subie is kinda one direction only (stiff, loud, rough). The 1er is refined, mature and a true "sports coupe" that will still bring the pain.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
Castr_85M
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW/Fox 6MT E90 M3

A tune,DCI, DP, and FMIC will put you around the same WHP as your STI. From a dig the STi will own but once you get going the 1M will shine. 80mph and above the AWD in the subie will slow it down compared to the 1M
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #8
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

There is a list member who ows a modded STI, that still owns it and just got a 1M. I am sure he can best assist, but it looks like he is thrilled with the upgrade.

I have a Legacy GT sedan. Not near as sporting as the Sti, but to be honest, other than for autocross, I'm not so much impressed with the Sti as a track car. The Evo MR has way better steering, and I prefer RWD on track, not AWD.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
MB38
[insert witty title here]
Rep
Drives: '97 Supra TT, '11 1M

I've been driving WRXs for the past 8 years. I'm selling a 350AWHP WRX as my daily to replace it with a 1M.

A BMW/M/1M is just a different type of vehicle than an STi. This is one of those examples where dollars do not equal speed/power or brute superiority. In many ways a stock STi will be faster than a stock 1M... and in many ways it will not be. Add 150AWHP to the mix and it's a different story altogether.

Don't focus on power numbers - you can get power out of any car with the right modifications. Even sticking with the stock twins you'll likely be able to get ~400RWHP out of the 1M once all the appropriate breathing and tuning modifications have surfaced. Having come from the Subaru community myself I've found that the approach to modifying cars in the BMW world is markedly different. What might be a $800 set of pipes to build a turbo-back exhaust on the Subaru side could be a $5,000 titanium super-fancy elite brand name axle-back on the BMW side. I know both options exist in both places but there does seem to be a bit more of a lean towards the high-end boutique approach to modification than the big-turbo-big-pipes-and-a-tune approach I'm used to.

My reasons for buying a 1M are similar to yours. First, I've always loved the 1 series... I view it as the evolution of the 3 series now that the current 3s are nearly as large as the 5s I grew up on. The 1M is everything I'd want from it - it's a 1 series, it's an M, it's twin-turbo and it's priced like it should be.

I look at the M3 [as brilliant as it is] as a somewhat baffling car. I love the appeal of the amazing V8 but I can't help but think of it as an over-engineered solution to produce 4-500 horses. If I found myself in the market for an M3 I'd also find myself in the market for a GT-R... and the answer to that query is simple in my mind.

To me the 1M is the proper approach - it's a brilliant car *and* it's built around turbochargers. A few thousand dollars worth of breathing and tuning modifications should let it settle comfortably in the ~400RWHP range reliably. If you want a 100hp boost out of a NA car it's a wholly different approach. But you know this.

Anyways, over the past few years I've been more and more concerned about having a heavily modified daily driver. I love my WRX [it's a brilliant car] but driving the car takes a little more attention than I'd like. It's not attention for driving, it's attention for other things... keeping the exhaust quiet, not setting off alarms, not scraping the exhaust on speed bumps, avoiding the lean spot in my tune, watching my EGT gauge... it's a bit old. I have a 1997 Supra TT as my toy... it's a friggin' rocket ship. I'm ready for an unmodified daily driver.

At least until I get bored with the power levels [which is inevitable].

Anyways, the 1M and STi are different cars. They have different primary goals. Don't compare them in terms of drivability, power, etcetera - those are symptoms. Is it $30,000 better in those regards? No. It's not supposed to be. It's a completely different approach to the idea of the automobile.

Anyways, if you're going to go 1M you need to move FAST. At this point, with so many 1Ms sold, hours count.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 03:51 PM   #10
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Awesome post^^^

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 01:25 AM   #11
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Thanks MB... i was thinking of you and also SUBimmer...

here is a link to impressions from Subimmber

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...65&postcount=2
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 03:31 AM   #12
MB38
[insert witty title here]
Rep
Drives: '97 Supra TT, '11 1M

If only BMW people were as generally friendly on the road... SUBimmer makes a good point! I'll miss the waves. Most M3 drivers around here are of the "bro" variety.
Appreciate 0