BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
N55_BBM
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe

Why can't I play Pandora or youtube out of my iPhone in my car anymore?

Used to be able to do it (using the iphone connector plugged into aux and usb), but now all of a sudden I don't know if due to an update in the iphone software or what, but it will always change to my ipod.

If I go to pandora or youtube and press play, it'll immediately just fade away, switch the to the ipod app, and start playing the first song on my playlist.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 04:21 PM   #2
mjcxp
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3 Black Sapphire

Yep, I am having the same issue. It must something with the updates for the iPhone it used to run fine on 4.0.2 but with 4.3.3 it just loads and then stops after about a second. It must be some copyright prevention they implemented in the newest firmware.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
burger16b
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

option 1: with 4.3.3 plug the iphone in, then run aux to start ipod playback. Select pandora and it should play. (at least it does in my car.) option 2: when the phone starts playing ipod hold down the home button to force quit. (you might need to do this a couple of times) Then select pause in ipod on the phone. Then select pandora and it should play. I had to do this running 4.3.2 but now it works with option 1 also works for iheartradio ect...
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 08:27 AM   #4
jasonhunter
Registered
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe

If I first connect the USB cable, change the source to iPod and then open pandora, it will always begin to play from the iPod first. But it doesn't leave pandora so I just hit play and pandora takes over.

It's an extra click, but I'll live. My only complaint is that if I'm interrupted by a phone call, when the call is done, it's my iPod that resumes play, not pandora.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 01:34 PM   #5
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

I hope you are doing this only when the car is parked, and the engine is off. I would really hate to think that any 1-Series owners are playing Pandora (wahtever that is) or watching youtube videos while driving. That is good for a $175 fine here in Canada and similar in many US States.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
N55_BBM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
I hope you are doing this only when the car is parked, and the engine is off. I would really hate to think that any 1-Series owners are playing Pandora (wahtever that is) or watching youtube videos while driving. That is good for a $175 fine here in Canada and similar in many US States.
So offtopic....

and no I don't do it while I'm driving because I can't hit those damn small buttons, lol... but bear in mind that in most places here in the US it is LEGAL to text while driving
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #7
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Quote:
I would really hate to think that any 1-Series owners are playing Pandora (wahtever that is)
If you knew what it was you wouldn't think it so silly.

It's not a video game or anything.

(It's a music stream)
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #8
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N55_BBM View Post
So offtopic....

and no I don't do it while I'm driving because I can't hit those damn small buttons, lol... but bear in mind that in most places here in the US it is LEGAL to text while driving
At 60 miles per hoour, a car is travelling at 88 feet per second. If you take youe eyes off the road to read a 12 word text message, you have travelled about the length of two football fields without paying attention to the road ahead of you or the other vehicles around you. If you then attempt tp reply to that message. you might not really be in control of your car for a mile or more.

Texting & Driving is Illegal in 19 States. More are contemplating passing legistaion, as is recommended by many agencies such as the Americam Medical Association and American Bar Association.

A recent study shows that texting while driving increases crash risk by 23 fold. Nineteen (19) states have joined forces to ban "texting while driving", including New Hampshire. New Hampshire's House Bill 34, states, "A person operating a moving motor vehicle who writes a text message or uses 2 hands to type on or operate an electronic or telecommunications device, is guilty of a violation."

Although talking on a mobile phone while operating a vehicle is considered dangerous, the threat really became an issue when Short Message Service, or texting, was introduced. Texting has become a social norm fairly quickly since the year 2000, as most cell phone plans include a text messaging package. There has been a significant rise in smart phone sales with the popularity of the BlackBerry and iPhone, which allows people to communicate while they are doing practically anything.

It cannot be contested that text messaging and other forms of text communication on mobile phones offer a level of convenience that cannot be matched. The dilemma is at what point do we chose safety over convenience. Many studies have linked texting while driving to the cause of life-threatening accidents due to driver distraction. The International Telecommunication Union states that “texting, making calls, and other interaction with in-vehicle information and communication systems while driving is a serious source of driver distraction and increases the risk of traffic accidents”.

A 2009 experiment with Car and Driver magazine editor Eddie Alterman that took place at a deserted air strip showed that texting while driving had a greater impact on safety than driving drunk. While legally drunk, Alterman's stopping distance from 70 mph increased by 4 feet; by contrast, reading an e-mail added 36 feet, and sending a text added 70 feet. While celebrities such as Oprah Winfrey have campaigned against texting while driving, there are reports that the message has not been getting through to teenagers.

Last edited by Lester; 07-10-2011 at 10:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 10:26 AM   #9
N55_BBM
Major
Rep

lol

i don't know where in the thread I or anyone else mentioned that we're planning on doing this while driving. but thanks for the read.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #10
mrow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Double post.

Last edited by mrow; 07-12-2011 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #11
mrow
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
blah blah blah
That's all great.

Pandora is an Internet streaming radio service and on YouTube with an iPhone you can create playlists that play videos back to back so you can create a playlist you like and just listen to the audio.

Please know what you're talking about before you flip out next time...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 06:41 PM   #12
kullenberg
USAF RET.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128i COUPE - CRIMSON

Data Use

Does anyone know what the data usage is when streaming on Pandora through the iphone? Could get expensive. Currently on Verizon unlimited, but when I upgrade to iphone 4 next week they may change my data plan.
Appreciate 0