BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-08-2011, 06:58 AM   #1
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Question for 1M owners regarding performance

For those that have your 1M's, could I ask that you have a quick look at this video linked below.

The car in this video is actually a friend of mine's, but I also have nearly the identical car - a Lotus Exige S260.

My question is, for those of you who have your 1M's, do you think that the 1M will perform as well as this? Or in other words, will I be disappointed with my 1M when it arrives or will it be quicker than this?

I appreciate that you can't see the speed, but you can at least get a feel for the power delivery and acceleration.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 07:06 AM   #2
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

I have driven both and dont think you would be disappointed. 1m is more livable. Exige is more of a track toy that isnt at all fun in town,imo. Performance wise the 1m had a1 min 25 sec lap on top gear vs exige s 1 min 25.1 sec. The lotus is amazing down low but dies over 100. 1m will keep goinh.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 07:09 AM   #3
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

I have recently come from a M3 and a 997S and I am not disappointed with the performance. Indeed in everyday road driving the 1M is I feel as quick in gear as my 997S for example in short bursts of acceleration. Because the 1M is small you can really position it on the road. I drive it sometimes with traction switched off and it means you can really punch out of roundabouts etc without the electronics kicking in. Overall you won't be disappointed. A fantastic car.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 07:28 AM   #4
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Fantastic guys! That's the response I was hoping for.

I have to say that I was impressed with my friend's 135i in that it really did pull very well in gear, especially, say, pulling off a slip road onto a motorway. However I've never driven a 1M, so I don't know at all what it's like.

Also, as I've never owned a turbo car before, it's all a bit of a new driving experience for me. The Exige is very quick and pulls very well. In fact the power is quite linear and as a result, you never really get that "surge" feeling that turbo cars seem to offer.

However, where the Exige is not so great is in gear as you need to drop a few gears to really get it to move. I don't think I'll have the problem in the 1M.

Oh and there is the small matter of having to replace my rear tyres every 3500 miles and that is just normal road driving!! No joke!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 07:38 AM   #5
EmmDrei
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 Saphire Black 1M Coupé

@OP: Any thoughts are appreciated? Are you sure? I would rephrase that if I were you.
      07-08-2011, 07:42 AM   #6
marcel b
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
Fantastic guys! That's the response I was hoping for.

I have to say that I was impressed with my friend's 135i in that it really did pull very well in gear, especially, say, pulling off a slip road onto a motorway. However I've never driven a 1M, so I don't know at all what it's like.

Also, as I've never owned a turbo car before, it's all a bit of a new driving experience for me. The Exige is very quick and pulls very well. In fact the power is quite linear and as a result, you never really get that "surge" feeling that turbo cars seem to offer.

However, where the Exige is not so great is in gear as you need to drop a few gears to really get it to move. I don't think I'll have the problem in the 1M.

Oh and there is the small matter of having to replace my rear tyres every 3500 miles and that is just normal road driving!! No joke!
if you where impressed with the 135i than no worries, 1M is quite a difference, positively meant More punch, more traction, and much better handling.
I am loving it
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
FLEX///M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.34]
You will NOT be disappointed. You just won't.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 08:44 AM   #8
hlmiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 1M '10 M5 '05 M3 '12 CRT

You will be pleased - and probably surprised - by the 1M and what you can do with it.
After viewing the video I can't think of one aspect in which you could be disappointed. I saw nothing that the 1M could not have done at least comparably, and some things even better - it will be quicker in a few instances, for example.

You should incorporate into your immediate future the guarantee of having a great experience @ delivery.
Appreciate 0