BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #1
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

A Kinder, Gentler ED Break-in Thread!

I didn't want to get in the middle of the other break in thread.

Having actually built several engines, and worked for an IMSA GTP team in the dyno involved in the breaking in of GTP and some GTO and GTU motors, first hand....as in with my own eyes. I am very aware of the stuff that happens during break-in.

My question has more to do with BMWs break-in in Germany.

I have received the names of a few dealers close to Nurburgring and will try to find out what the service covers and costs. At first it appears to include Oil, Gearbox and Diff oil changes. Now I have seen that BMW says gearbox change not necessary.

Anyway, my ED paperwork says explicitly that all work down outside of the US and Puerto Rico are the owner's responsibilty. It's pretty clear cut in black and white, 10 point serif text on their official document but fellow addicts are saying that you can get reimbursed by BMWNA after the fact.

So my question is....where does that come from?

Is there something written somewhere that says that?

Has anyone here actually gotten a refund for break-in service in Germany?

What did you pay?

What did they do?

How long did it take?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
josephvman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Valencia Orange

This is what I did on my summer vacation. Had an oil change the next day at dealer in Zuffenhausen, 178euros, had 650 miles on it. Dropped off the car last night at the Munich airport drop, with around 1750 miles. I'll have all the fluids flushed when the car hits the states. I didn't flog it, but did some shifting around 5.5k. Car was fantastic!

A few pics from my ride on the 'Ring! I'll post a video when I recover from jet lag!

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2011, 11:49 PM   #3
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephvman View Post
This is what I did on my summer vacation. Had an oil change the next day at dealer in Zuffenhausen, 178euros, had 650 miles on it. Dropped off the car last night at the Munich airport drop, with around 1750 miles. I'll have all the fluids flushed when the car hits the states. I didn't flog it, but did some shifting around 5.5k. Car was fantastic!
Very cool! So you changed the oil after the Ring or Before? How is the drive from the Ring to Munich. It will be the longest single stretch for me.

Any advice? How long did they keep your car and how far ahead did you schedule?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 07:01 AM   #4
josephvman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Valencia Orange

I changed oil the day after the Ring, after driving to Zuffenhausen. They were done with it in an hour. The drive to the Ring is fun. The first hour or so was some of the fastest autobahn driving I did. Past Stuttgart we ran into lots of truck traffic and narrow construction areas, so a bit stressful. Once you get close, around Koblenz, it's gorgeous scenery and great back roads. There was an accident and the autobahn was gridlocked about an hour from the track, so we got off and made the rest of the drve through some great secondary roads and little villages.

The problem with the autobahn is that when things go wrong (crashes) they tend to go wrong in a big way. Driving back to Italy from the track, after basically 9-10 hours of driving, and driving the Ring, there was a massive accident involving big trucks just outside of Ingolstadt. Both directions shut down for 5-6 hours! We got very lucky and after only three hours we were able to pick our way along the shoulder and between cars and were close to an exit. We rolled into Zuffenhausen at 3am after being up nearly 24 hours straight, and couldn't find a room. Finally got into a hotel at 4:00am, long day!

When the autobahn stops, after about twenty minutes people start getting out of their cars. When you see that happening you can plan on being there for a very long time!

Last edited by josephvman; 07-10-2011 at 07:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 03:18 PM   #5
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephvman View Post
I changed oil the day after the Ring, after driving to Zuffenhausen. They were done with it in an hour. The drive to the Ring is fun. The first hour or so was some of the fastest autobahn driving I did. Past Stuttgart we ran into lots of truck traffic and narrow construction areas, so a bit stressful. Once you get close, around Koblenz, it's gorgeous scenery and great back roads. There was an accident and the autobahn was gridlocked about an hour from the track, so we got off and made the rest of the drve through some great secondary roads and little villages.

The problem with the autobahn is that when things go wrong (crashes) they tend to go wrong in a big way. Driving back to Italy from the track, after basically 9-10 hours of driving, and driving the Ring, there was a massive accident involving big trucks just outside of Ingolstadt. Both directions shut down for 5-6 hours! We got very lucky and after only three hours we were able to pick our way along the shoulder and between cars and were close to an exit. We rolled into Zuffenhausen at 3am after being up nearly 24 hours straight, and couldn't find a room. Finally got into a hotel at 4:00am, long day!

When the autobahn stops, after about twenty minutes people start getting out of their cars. When you see that happening you can plan on being there for a very long time!
Thanks for the info. I'm trying to sort this stuff out so I can have reservations. Travelling with the wife and I want her to have a good time and have a nice place to stay and relax. Happy wife makes for happy life!

: )
Appreciate 0