BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-13-2011, 05:43 PM   #1
Mowse
Private
Rep
Drives: Lotus Elise SC

2012 TTRS prices announced

360 HP/343 lbs torque, 0-60 4.1 seconds. 6 speed manual.

$56,850 MSRP. My local dealer said this car comes loaded as well. He read off the features and I couldn't think of anything but nav to add. This included 19" wheels and all Audi performance features.

Pretty stiff competition for the 1M in the "bang for the buck dept.

Am I allowed to make this observation or will some courageous person insult me from the safety of his keyboard?

Some comments made on this site are pathetic and cowardly when one shares an opinion that is slightly non dogmatic.

Very dissapointing. I'd expect that on a tuner forum.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 05:53 PM   #2
rjwojcik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW Golf GTD

I looked at the Audi coupe before setting my heart on a BMW coupe. The TTRS is a nice car, but having two small kids makes it totally impractical for me. View it as a mini R8. The 1M is something I could use as a daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

Not my cup of tea but it's a lot of car for the right person. I'm surprised Nav isn't standard, I thought it was in RS cars. Any idea of the weight?
      07-13-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
rjwojcik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 VW Golf GTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
Not my cup of tea but it's a lot of car for the right person. I'm surprised Nav isn't standard, I thought it was in RS cars. Any idea of the weight?
Of the Nav?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 06:07 PM   #5
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

It looks like a great car and the manual-only transmission is a bold step, for sure. That's competive pricing with a Cayman. I don't have kids and I'd certainly consider it but my 1M will be here soon and in the end, I think it will be the more practical of the two, AWD notwithstanding, of course.

I wonder if they will market it similarly to the 1M campaign, which has been wildly successful.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

"Of the Nav?"

It does read that way doesn't it?
      07-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #7
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

wow I was expecting that car to be in 60-70k range. Out of my options, I'd still prefer cayman s over TTRS, though both 1M and TTRS will most likely out run CS on the straights.
      07-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #8
Simsims
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 119/220

reverse staggered = weird
      07-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #9
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

I think the TTRS is a great car. I can appreciate the looks and it has very decent modding potential. I personally enjoy the fun of driving a RWD but haven't been able to properly enjoy it until I get an LSD installed but I do see the advantages of having AWD, especially once you start to bump up the power. Perfect launches every time and very predictable.

I think BMW has practicality going for it with 2 usable rear seats and a boot. This is a pretty big plus if you ask me because I need that from time to time, although it gets used very rarely. I could easily make the transition if needed though. Although the 1M might not look as good on the inside I like the ergonomics of it. I also love its looks as it has plenty of character on the outside too, the widebody just looks sick. The TTRS is very nice on the inside and outside so it holds its own ground here. I'm a big fan of its design.

In terms of engine sound, I LOVE my N54 but having heard that sweet 5 cylinder on youtube before with the forced induction noises it makes I was very impressed too.

I'm not sure what the modding potential is like when you get to top end stuff but I'm sure they are both very comparable. I'd have to look into the TTRS but I am very impressed with what the N54 has done so far being handicapped with its fuelling system. I know the TTRS can make plenty of torque and some decent numbers so it's a tough one to call.

For me, both cars are at a draw or at least on par. I couldn't say it's an easy decision if they were both parked side by side. I personally would pick the 1M (being biased of course) but I can understand why someone would choose the TTRS.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #10
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Evo (July 2011) did a 4-way comparison between the 1M, TT-RS,Cayman R and 37OZ Gt assessing both road and track performance.

The 1M barely pipped the 'cockster' while the Audi came dead last.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 09:40 PM   #11
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
UK spec is listed @ 1450 kg. ~3263 lb.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 10:06 PM   #12
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
On Audi USA's site: 340 HP and 332 ft*lb torque.
Looks decent I'll admit even though I am not quite an Audi fan.
I have no idea if these are understated numbers like BMW's tend to be about the 35i/is engine.

I am curious what tuner potential this car will have and I was under the impression this car wouldn't make it to NA, which appears to have been wrong.

The Audi site also claims 1.2 bar of pressure, which is roughly 17-18psi. So bigger turbo or more pressure with the turbo, smaller displacement, same fuel efficiency? (it is also 25-26 mpg not stated whether it is freeway, city, or combined)

I am sorry that OP's opinion of this site is low. These are the claimed numbers from Audi. Honestly, I am pleased to see more competition for cars of this class and hope it may yield price decreases rather than increases in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 03:16 AM   #13
Schnorbitz
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 318d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsims View Post
reverse staggered = weird
That's the RS3, the TTRS has the same tyres fore and aft.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 05:07 AM   #14
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe 697/740

$56,850 for basically loaded TT-RS??? I thought base was around $60K and up... saw in some article. Am I wrong?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 09:41 AM   #15
FS993
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowse View Post
Am I allowed to make this observation or will some courageous person insult me from the safety of his keyboard?

Some comments made on this site are pathetic and cowardly when one shares an opinion that is slightly non dogmatic.

Very dissapointing. I'd expect that on a tuner forum.
Somewhat aggressive (and ironic), in my opinion...

As you can see the answers have been very objective. How about an apology to those that keep their posts objective?

I personally have owned both Audis and BMWs and I just like the way BMWs drive. The TTRS is a hell of a car but I'm extremely happy with my 1M as a DD. Plus limited production doesn't hurt either.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 09:59 AM   #16
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
I've been drinking the BMW Kool-Aid since I was 15, so Audi holds no great appeal to me.

However, it is a competitive package and I am sure they will get some sales out of it. However, the 1M is realtively limited anyway - I don't think BMW is planning on making money by the fistfuls on the 1M (not to imply it's simply a halo car either).
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 10:01 AM   #17
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep

We only fight when the M3 is brought up. FWD based Audi's are fair game on here. I know it's AWD but it's based on the haldex system so it's FWD most of the time. I've owned a few TT's years ago so it's not as if I'm Cap'n BMW here. The TT is great for some but challenging to those who want to gain driving skill it is not.
      07-14-2011, 10:36 AM   #18
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
We only fight when the M3 is brought up. FWD based Audi's are fair game on here. I know it's AWD but it's based on the haldex system so it's FWD most of the time. I've owned a few TT's years ago so it's not as if I'm Cap'n BMW here. The TT is great for some but challenging to those who want to gain driving skill it is not.
Are you sure the TT-RS is using the HALDEX based system and not the Audi Quattro system ala the B8 S4 and B7 RS4?

I know the B8 S4 and the B7 RS4 have a 40/60 bias as standard and can go as far as 20/80 in extremis.

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 12:04 PM   #19
Mowse
Private
Rep
Drives: Lotus Elise SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS993 View Post
Somewhat aggressive (and ironic), in my opinion...

As you can see the answers have been very objective. How about an apology to those that keep their posts objective?

I personally have owned both Audis and BMWs and I just like the way BMWs drive. The TTRS is a hell of a car but I'm extremely happy with my 1M as a DD. Plus limited production doesn't hurt either.
We all know who we are. No need for an apology from me. If you are not the type to take cheap shots then you have no reason to be offended.

My vitrol was pointed at a recent thread I started where I was fair and honest and tried to add a little levity (this is supposed to be fun, right?) and received several uncalled for juvenile comments.

If you wouldn't say it to one's face, don't type it. It's on par with booing a professional athlete from the safety of the cheap seats. It wouldn't happen in person.

I love the 1M as well as it's competitors. I call it as I see it. If one wishes to insult me PM me so if you're in Cleveland so we can get together and "chat".
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #20
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:

If you wouldn't say it to one's face, don't type it. It's on par with booing a professional athlete from the safety of the cheap seats. It wouldn't happen in person.
I agree with your point about people needing to respect the unwritten rules of civil society whether you're online or in person, but this analogy is seriously flawed.

It's a free country. When you post on a public forum, you take the risk that people are going to disagree with you and may do so in a 'juvenile' way.

So, you can wrestle with the pig or walk away. You started this thread by jumping into the mud.

Oh, and I would say this to your face and I would boo a professional athlete if I felt he/she deserved it.

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 12:31 PM   #21
FS993
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
We all know who we are. No need for an apology from me. If you are not the type to take cheap shots then you have no reason to be offended.

My vitrol was pointed at a recent thread I started where I was fair and honest and tried to add a little levity (this is supposed to be fun, right?) and received several uncalled for juvenile comments.

I love the 1M as well as it's competitors. I call it as I see it. If one wishes to insult me PM me so if you're in Cleveland so we can get together and "chat".
Yep, there goes the irony again. Back to the regularly scheduled program now...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 12:33 PM   #22
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

By mear comparison the TT looks like a great car and quite the ass kicker, BUT, and I am single with no kids, those 2 rear seats are the game changer, espically since they fold down.. my 1er is my Daily Driver, ( i have another toy, but its a vert for sunny days, not commuting to work in traffic) and even if it wasnt and i had another truck or something, a 2 seater Daily Driver just doesnt work.