BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-22-2011, 08:30 AM   #1
DrRay81
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 CS Frozen White

What to do?!

So i've finally been able to confirm my allocation. Turns out I am #3 and #1 has just taken delivery. The sales manager said I would be a late october early november delivery. I've been chomping at the bit to get a new car and since hearing of a later than expected delivery i've been looking at other vehicles. Basically it's come down to a 2007 Porsche GT3 or a 2010 Nissan GT-R. The GT3 is my dream car but I would have to buy used and i'd be looking at around 80k for something with less than 20k miles. Only problem is i'm not completely comfortable buying a 2007, i'd rather have a newer car. The more serious consideration is the 2010 GT-R. I've found a few with less than 10k miles for a little under 70K. The looks aren't for everyone but i've grown to like it and it's a car that could be daily driveable as the porsche really isn't. None of the three are cars that you see everyday. so do i get a 2010 GT-R or wait for my 1M?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 08:39 AM   #2
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray101381 View Post
So i've finally been able to confirm my allocation. Turns out I am #3 and #1 has just taken delivery. The sales manager said I would be a late october early november delivery. I've been chomping at the bit to get a new car and since hearing of a later than expected delivery i've been looking at other vehicles. Basically it's come down to a 2007 Porsche GT3 or a 2010 Nissan GT-R. The GT3 is my dream car but I would have to buy used and i'd be looking at around 80k for something with less than 20k miles. Only problem is i'm not completely comfortable buying a 2007, i'd rather have a newer car. The more serious consideration is the 2010 GT-R. I've found a few with less than 10k miles for a little under 70K. The looks aren't for everyone but i've grown to like it and it's a car that could be daily driveable as the porsche really isn't. None of the three are cars that you see everyday. so do i get a 2010 GT-R or wait for my 1M?
Can't help you here BUT I know the owner of a well known body shop here in San Diego had a GT-R and did not like it and is selling it or sold it and likes his GT-3 more. The topic came up with a friend. Maybe this would help. The two cars seem so different, one is super heavy super high tech and BIG, the other is the quintessential supreme track car.

You can't go wrong with a GT-3, I think you can go wrong in some cases with GT-R.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 08:43 AM   #3
1978.530i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

As a guy who's still waiting for a confirmed allocation, I urge you to pick one of the other cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
DrRay81
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978.530i View Post
As a guy who's still waiting for a confirmed allocation, I urge you to pick one of the other cars.
as of right now i'm keeping my allocation, i think the GT3 might be a little impractical as i don't plan on doing more than 3-4 track days a year. i'm no schumacher and perhaps the GT-R would be better. both the 1m and gt-r are eye-catching with the exotic edge probably going to the GT-R. we'll see how much longer i can hold out. I'll make sure and let the forum members know first if i decide to let my allocation go.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #5
Dave
formerly izzo/comeback
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 RC 350 F Sport

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.80]
Have you driven or sat in a GTR? It is pretty jarringly fast and aburpt. The speed and handling are unmatched but I did not feel the same level of comfort for a DD as I do when I sit in my 1. If you are using it for the track go with the GTR, otherwise spend the spare 30k on a miata track beater and a 1M
      07-22-2011, 11:10 AM   #6
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

such crazy talk

I agree with nachob and comebacks comments as well.

I think you would be crazy to dump an allocation for a car that you will not be able to get next year, compared to a car that you can find anytime ( which is the case for both of the other two).

The GT3 is also my dream car, but agree it is less practical than both the others.

Many allocations are being moved up, and you never know if buyer #2 will drop out. The next round of allocations will be out In less than two weeks. Sounds like buyer 2 will we picked up next month in August, (sept or October delivery) and you will be one month, at the very latest two, after that.

Wanna get nuts and cure your new car crave and bucket list together??? Here is something really crazy....

Since you appear to have the extra 30K for the GT3 burning a hole in your pocket.... go and find one... make sure you get a GREAT deal... Don't give up your 1M allocation... and if you LOVE the GT3 when the 1M allocation comes in, then dump the 1M... But if the GT3 doesnt have the practicality that you are looking for.... then you can sell it and get the 1M.

now there's some crazy talk for you..

PS... Don't try and trade the Porsche in... sell it outright... owners take a BEATING trading in used 911s..

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 07-22-2011 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
DrRay81
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I have driven both the GT-R and GT3, i love the GT3 but really shouldn't be buying a new one, my GF would be rather annoyed. The GT3 drives wonderfully and it sounds amazing, but comfortably and realistically i could only afford a 2007. The GT-R is like you said, just plain fast, i wouldn't say either are really ideal daily drivers. That being said i'm more comfortable driving a GT-R with my novice skills and i like all the gadgetry. The looks of the GT-R have grown on me quite a bit. Make no mistake if I could afford the GT3 4.0 i'd be all over it, but i think bang for the buck the GT-R isn't a slouch. I have a 2011 grand cherokee i use as my daily and i am looking for a fun weekend car with the occasional track day or just driving around with the GF. I may try and find a GT-R and just buy it and then decide whether to keep it or buy a 1M when it gets here. i would love to buy both but something tells me I may not have a GF as my excuse for not being able to afford a ring wouldn't hold water anymore.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #8
DooBs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 Series M Coupe 697/740

... 2012 GT-R FTW

I know that's not what you mentioned, but have you looked at the stats?

530 hp 450 lb ft

0-60 ....... 2.9 seconds!!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
chibich
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

can't go wrong with any of those. what did you end up going with?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 12:57 PM   #10
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

Quote:
Originally Posted by DooBs View Post
... 2012 GT-R FTW

I know that's not what you mentioned, but have you looked at the stats?

530 hp 450 lb ft

0-60 ....... 2.9 seconds!!!!

+1 the new launch control and larger turbos are gross.

Otherwise, on used GTRs you need go be careful. Many have had their factory coverage voided by launching the car. There are many examples out there of the transmissions on the earlier models being trashed by asshat owners.
Appreciate 0