BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-27-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
1VOM
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M, 2014 R8 V10 Plus

New 1M... No Title

I received my 1M last week and have yet to have a chance to drive it because I still have not received my title from the dealership. When I received the car the shipping company who the dealership chose to use for the car "since they were so reliable" had put a nice dent in the top of the roof. I let everything slide since although it was disappointing since I know it isn't technically the dealers fault. I finally got some confirmation on the whereabouts of my title today and they said its ETA is August 4...? I have purchased many cars and to me this whole having to leave the 1M sitting in the garage for 3 weeks is ludicrous. I have always had the title when the car arrived even when purchasing out of state (note that I wire transferred the dealership the vehicle payment over a month before the car was off the boat). I talked with my CA today and she tried to tell me "not to worry I have a car that everyone wants but can't get so a little wait isn't a problem" and I have had no luck elsewhere in the dealership. I bought the car to drive it and although the damage is not technically their fault they made every arrangement with the shipping company and I will be lucky if I get to actually drive the car within a month (minus the trip to the bodyshop). Am I crazy for having an issue with the time frame on the title when they had my full payment in hand almost 2 months ago?
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
bayer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

what state are you in? Laws vary by state, seems there would be a work around or loophole. All we need in MI is a bill of sale and evidence title/registration has been applied for. We don't get titles for several weeks post sale.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
1VOM
Private
Rep

Ohio. I was actually pulled over taking the car to my home (thankfully the cop let it slide as I was just down the road from my home). According to him we have to have the car title in hand so I get to keep looking at it sitting in the garage every time I leave the house... again I'm more having trouble with the fact I paid in full for the car almost 2 months ago
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2011, 11:59 PM   #4
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

what a hard ass.... or.... WHAT DID YOU DO TO GET PULLED OVER ON THE WAY HOME?

I know Ohio is generally strict... but I would check.... I agree with Delrin... always got my plates weeks later when I lived in IN.... same in TX... my titles generally go to a lienholder though... I got hassled once with my 1991 M3 street car... picked up the car in Ohio on Wednesday and on Friday i was on the way to Va... Cop lectured about how he could impound the car, but gave me a minor ticket for having a radar detector in Virginia..

As long as you have insurance on the car you can drive the car... it doesn't really matter who it is titled to..

Mark
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 03:04 AM   #5
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1VOM View Post
Ohio. I was actually pulled over taking the car to my home (thankfully the cop let it slide as I was just down the road from my home). According to him we have to have the car title in hand so I get to keep looking at it sitting in the garage every time I leave the house... again I'm more having trouble with the fact I paid in full for the car almost 2 months ago
Tell me you didn't get the car at Classic!? Ohio is strict, but that cop has to be pulling your leg. You don't have a title in your possession when there's a lien on the car, the bank does. Something doesn't sound right. You have the tags etc for the car, right?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 08:41 AM   #6
1VOM
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
You don't have a title in your possession when there's a lien on the car, the bank does. Something doesn't sound right. You have the tags etc for the car, right?
Haha I got pulled over because I had nothing affixed to the vehicle. I have no title therefore no tags on the vehicle. Also their is not lien on the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 09:00 AM   #7
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

That's odd that you weren't given a temporary tag of some sort... i would call the dealer.. make them give you a dealer plate.... something.. ! I can't believe the dealer actually expected you to drive off without any sort of temporary tag... I can understand that the DMV processing may have been late, or delayed... but driving around a car with no tag or temp plate is an easy reason for a cop to pull you over and hassle you... which is what happened.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 09:04 AM   #8
v1k0d3n
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C /// (and x3 for the wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
I can't believe the dealer actually expected you to drive off without any sort of temporary tag... I can understand that the DMV processing may have been late, or delayed... but driving around a car with no tag or temp plate is an easy reason for a cop to pull you over and hassle you... which is what happened.
Absolutely 100% agree. Again, was it Classic by chance?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #9
bayer
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Very odd your dealer didn't get you a temp tag, most states the bill of sale or purchase order is your title. My out of state dealer is getting me a 30 day tag in their state so I can drive it home. You should at least be able to get your local to give to a temp one. I know Michigan all you need is proof of insurance to get a 30 or 60 day temporary tag.

Dame shame to leave your new 1M parked in a garage undriven!!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #10
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Ok ... I've never heard of this happening anywhere in the US. Tag/Title normally takes 30 some days here in GA and all my cars (new and used) have had the temp plate from the dealer.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #11
1VOM
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k0d3n View Post
Absolutely 100% agree. Again, was it Classic by chance?
No I had it delivered from California
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #12
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Having a dent in the roof can be considered a "totaled" vehicle no? Hopefully you get it fixed and are driving again... having to wait another few months for a new 1M would kill me!