BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
icabod7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Coupe

M Dead Pedal Retrofit

I recently attempted to retrofit the M Dead Pedal on to my '08 Sports Package 135i.

Kind of disappointed with the fitment and thought I would reach out to our inventive and industrious forum members for help.

I used the "yank out" method and ripped the stock dead pedal out of the carpet. Of course this broke the factory plastic plugs and they subsequently fell into the holes.

As those who have tried this know, the M Dead Pedal's pegs line up perfectly with the holes in the carpet, but they are too small to fig snugly inside. I know you can put velcro, double stick tape, wrap electrical tape around the pegs to make them bigger and use glue, but I figured there had to be some other way to secure the dead pedal so it is as firm as the stock one.

Ideas?

Pictures and a DIY of what I am talking about can be found below.

See:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295558

and the E90 DIY:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ght=dead+pedal
cdv delete | clutch stop | bmw performance ssk | meisterschaft gt | berk mids | dinan cai | helix fmic | m3 subframe bushings, swaybar, front and back suspension bits | dinan stage 1 suspension | dinan cf strut brace |gc camber plates | dinan oil cooler | apex ec-7s w/PSSs | cobb stage 1 + fmic
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #2
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
I just screwed my aluminum dead pedal on top of my existing plastic one... works like a charm!
      09-07-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
icabod7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Are you talking about the M Dead Pedal or the BMW Performance Aluminum one?

I know you can (should) drill the latter on top of the stock dead pedal, but I haven't heard of anyone drilling the M Dead Pedal...

And while I appreciate the response, I can't really use that suggestion, Satalite, as I have already removed my stock dead pedal.
cdv delete | clutch stop | bmw performance ssk | meisterschaft gt | berk mids | dinan cai | helix fmic | m3 subframe bushings, swaybar, front and back suspension bits | dinan stage 1 suspension | dinan cf strut brace |gc camber plates | dinan oil cooler | apex ec-7s w/PSSs | cobb stage 1 + fmic

Last edited by icabod7; 09-07-2011 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: add info
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
icabod7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update: Went to the dealer and they installed the dead pedal with the factory fasteners in just over an hour. Solid as a rock now.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 12:00 AM   #5
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by icabod7 View Post
Update: Went to the dealer and they installed the dead pedal with the factory fasteners in just over an hour. Solid as a rock now.
Great to hear. Couldn't think of anything permanent that would make sure it wouldn't move...

How much? Or free??
      09-13-2011, 04:10 AM   #6
larryzhou
Private
Rep
Drives: 120i mt

glad to hear a solution. Do you happen to take a pic of the fastener you mentioned? Or part numbers?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
icabod7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

No, unfortunately, no pics or part numbers -- I can ask next time I go.

It was a little pricey -- $60 or so bucks IIRC, but well worth not having electrical tape or glue in the carpet.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 05:19 AM   #8
dko3tgk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 2012 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by icabod7 View Post
No, unfortunately, no pics or part numbers -- I can ask next time I go.
I'm going to install the M dead pedal soon and would love to know what the fastener part # is. I also don't like the idea of glue or tape.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
icabod7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Unfortunately, they didn't tell me what parts they used. But I think I paid around $40 bucks to have them install it for me. I think this is the only real way to get that solid fitment without glue, tape, etc.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
dko3tgk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

thanks icabod7. I'm sure its one of the only ways to do it correctly, but I'm also sure there is a part number. With BMW there's always a part #. And all the different online stores stock it, but it might be labeled as an anchor or fastener for another part of the car. But knowing the part number solves this for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #11
dko3tgk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I used grommets from the roundel.

I did the stainless pedal replacement and M dead pedal replacement this weekend.

I'm not sure if its because I have a 2012, but the stock foot rest was a pain to get out. I ended up having to get a screwdriver under it and pryed it off. And it still didnt' come off that easily. The footrest was all bent and broken after I got it off. All the pegs broke off. The bottom one ripped completely through the front of the footrest. I noticed that they were all glued into the carpet. Since they all broke off with no way of pulling them out, I had to just pop them into the void for those that didn't already.

My solution for getting the pedal to stay put was grommets. I had two grommets from a roundel on my E30. The ones that go over the pegs that secure the roundel to the body. I decided to put them on the two bottom pegs. Since the hook on the top of the foot rest held it pretty tight at the top. I cut the grommet length-wise so it could expand over the larger diameter peg. It's pretty secure feeling. It would be better if I had two for the top, but its very solid and doesn't bother me.

I don't know what the factory used to attach the foot rest from the back since I didn't open it up. But there was definitely glue used around the pegs as well.

Once I managed to pry and mangle the stock foot rest off. The new M Foot rest with grommets just snapped right in.

Now with the stainless pedals and M dead pedal, it looks quite nice and matches well. I still think its silly that my 135 came with generic black plastic and rubber pedals, like some economy rental car. Especially when the rest of the interior is all wood, metal and leather.
Appreciate 0