BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-07-2011, 06:24 PM   #1
fryguy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '16 m235xi

Just got car back from yearly service + ecu updates, no icon change?

So I brought my car in for yearly service (oil change, etc), and had them look at a clicking suspension issue (that of course couldn't be reproduced even when I drove it with a tech).

First thing I did after picking it up is hold down traction control button to see if the new icon was there, and it was still the old icon. They certainly did _something_ though, because everything was reset to factory (preferences, radio stations, etc).

So, is there a newer version of the ecu that changed the icon, or did I get an older ecu flash?

Also, is it just placebo from rolling around in a non-sport 328 for the past 2 days, or do they do something as part of service to "retighten" everything. Steering feels awesome again, seems to ride better, etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryguy View Post
So, is there a newer version of the ecu that changed the icon, or did I get an older ecu flash?
I'd say you got some older version SW. Why not ask the tech(not SA!) about this. ?

Quote:
Also, is it just placebo from rolling around in a non-sport 328 for the past 2 days, or do they do something as part of service to "retighten" everything. Steering feels awesome again, seems to ride better, etc.

Placebo effect!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
fryguy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '16 m235xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

Placebo effect!
We should all get stuck with a 328 for a day once every couple of months. Makes the 135 feel ridiculously good afterwards.

Especially when you forget that you aren't in a weak AWD car anymore and full throttle making a right turn at a stop light and get super sideways.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 02:41 AM   #4
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Quote:
So I brought my car in for yearly service (oil change, etc), and had them look at a clicking suspension issue (that of course couldn't be reproduced even when I drove it with a tech).

First thing I did after picking it up is hold down traction control button to see if the new icon was there, and it was still the old icon. They certainly did _something_ though, because everything was reset to factory (preferences, radio stations, etc).

Same thing happened to me. I think that if you have I-drive so you have to do I-drive update also to get new icons.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 07:37 AM   #5
Rodzilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Montego Blue 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:

Same thing happened to me. But my loaner was a Honda Civic.

Eibach frontsway,BMS JB4,AFE Drop InBerk Street Axleback, H&R SPORT SPRINGS,Active Autowerke DP's ,Active Autowerke BOV,Active Autowerke FMIC , BMWPEDALS.COM, JB SPEED Black Grills,Alpina B3 TCU Flash
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
McClane
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 135i Coupe Alpine White

My icon didn't change either after I went in for N55 software update. They better not have to do any more programming because I will lose my bluetooth that I just paid $200 to program.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2011, 06:19 PM   #7
BrodieTS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i SGM

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Curious, what is the difference between the two icons?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 07:30 AM   #8
dtwyim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW no more

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
Same thing happened to me. I think that if you have I-drive so you have to do I-drive update also to get new icons.
Interesting, I have i-drive and have not heard of needing a separate update for it. Mine is N54, which I believe is what dackelone has, but he has the new icon. But I am not sure if he has I-drive.

I had the update but no new icon. The dealer looked up my VIN recently and I do not have any update pending.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 07:54 AM   #9
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

N54, no iDrive, updated software, no icon.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #10
FactorX81
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2014 Ford Escape Ti

+1
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 07:58 AM   #11
RimasRS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtwyim View Post
Interesting, I have i-drive and have not heard of needing a separate update for it. Mine is N54, which I believe is what dackelone has, but he has the new icon. But I am not sure if he has I-drive.

I had the update but no new icon. The dealer looked up my VIN recently and I do not have any update pending.
Dack doesn't have I-drive. I know it..
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 08:25 AM   #12
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodieTS View Post
Curious, what is the difference between the two icons?

New DSC icon
Name:  IMG_6598.jpg
Views: 659
Size:  88.7 KB

New TPMS icon - points to low tire now!
Name:  IMG_6594.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  100.0 KB

I think the new DSC seems to act "softer" when the rear of the car is loosing traction. I noticed that the first day when I took my favorite exot off the Autobahn and there are some small bumps half way thru it... before when the computer would activate one of the rear brakes - you would KNOW IT. Now its more gentler and softer when it intrudes.

Also the TPMS now points to a low/flat tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimasRS View Post
Dack doesn't have I-drive. I know it..
Yea... I do not have iDrive. Btw... when I has asked to have my SW updated... my dealer told me everything was current. I had to bribe them a little to get them to update my N54. Afterwards I was sorry. The only cool things are the (way) the new DSC works and the new TPMS system. But the engine SW really bites. Pushed me over the edge to get a tune! Now I am 110% happy with my flash tune.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2011, 10:46 AM   #13
amancuso
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330it, 428ix, 430i

When I had my car in for service, they said they would not do the software update because "it would take too long" and "is not necessary" I don't have the new DSC off icon, but I do have low tire specific indicator.
      09-11-2011, 11:10 AM   #14
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Same here, I don't have the new DSC icon, but I do have the specific tire TPMS indicator (just got a flat last week).
Appreciate 0