BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-11-2011, 10:28 AM   #1
JJSchmooze
I'm on that Orange Crush
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe VOP ZCV ZPP

Absolutely Worst Paint Quality Ever!!!!

I must say, and openly vocalize just how fed up I am with the shit quality of my 1M. As a member of a household which owns a total of 3 BMW's, all 2006 and up, I have noticed the lousy piss poor quality of BMW paint on all of our cars. The orange peel isn't so much the issue, as this has been a prevalent staple in most german automakers finishes. More so, it is the lousy clear coat quality and the constant chipping issue.

With just 5 months of ownership in my 1M, I have counted dozens of chips, most in area's that clear bra WOULD NOT cover, such as the sail panel (portion of the quarter panel above the driver/passenger windows), the lower front section of the quarter (in front of the rear wheel), the hood (approx. 8" above the roundel). This same nonsense is happening on my mother's 2006 Z4, and my brothers 2011 135i.

I remember my 1996 318ti, and it never had this issue, and my driving behaviour was much more careless than it is now. I avoid every truck, dump truck, tailgating, etc. I have never been more of a nervous wreck while owning a car than with this one. I have never driven a car and felt like I was driving a delicate pussy ass car that can't handle daily driving. I am so fed-up, I work hard for my money and after spending $55000 on a vehicle I expect more, and deserve more.

My 2006 STI runs RINGS around this car as far as paint quality, durability of materials (interior trim, steering wheel material, etc).

Not enjoying this prima donna

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.” Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
///1M
Captain
Rep
Drives: On a good day, AW 1M coupe

Valencia orange peel?

J/k
Seriously, sorry to hear this. I wonder if AW and BSM are having similar problems.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #3
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Thank Brussels and the powers to be who control the EU with their environmental green bullshit policies on all things to do with the automotive industry incl paints etc........just check out their policies on a number vitamins/supplements lol

As for interior build quality, sorry can't agree there, the latest scoobies are very uninspiring in that department (and always have been) with hard scratchy plastics etc, and its meant to be an improvement on the past lol

SELL

Last edited by Aussie_in_London; 10-11-2011 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJSchmooze View Post
....The orange peel isn't so much the issue, as this has been a prevalent staple in most german automakers finishes. More so, it is the lousy clear coat quality and the constant chipping issue.

.....I have never driven a car and felt like I was driving a delicate pussy ass car that can't handle daily driving. I am so fed-up,......

My 2006 STI runs RINGS around this car as far as paint quality, durability of materials (interior trim, steering wheel material, etc).

Not enjoying this prima donna
Wow, you come of as, how do I say it? .....kinda like a Richard! You are not going to get much sympathy with these inflammatory statements. Orange peel is a common characteristic found in even higher end cars like Ferrari and Lamborghini, not just "German cars". So if you really think your Subaru runs rings around the 1M in terms of "paint quality, durability of materials, interior trim, steering wheel material, etc" as you say(which I think is a total BULLSHIT statement), then dump this "pansy", "prima donna" car get a Subaru again.
      10-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Sell the car dude, someone will be happy to own it just as is

</thread>
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #6
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
Wow, you come of as, how do I say it? .....kinda like a Richard! You are not going to get much sympathy with these inflammatory statements. Orange peel is a common characteristic found in even higher end cars like Ferrari and Lamborghini, not just "German cars". So if you really think your Subaru runs rings around the 1M in terms of "paint quality, durability of materials, interior trim, steering wheel material, etc" as you say(which I think is a total BULLSHIT statement), then dump this "pansy", "prima donna" car get a Subaru again.
I think the brother is just pissed off with the vehicle right now. I had an '07 E83 X3 that was a total POS/lemon, and I finally lost it at one point.

On the other hand, to the OP, weren't you going to sell it anyway? I don't understand why people post negative things about the car/destructive/depreciating mods, then turn around and post it FS later talking about how sad they will be to lose it blablablah.

I've owned several BMWs over the years, and I think the paint quality is quite good. If you want to see $hitty paint quality, check out a GM product. That the paint doesn't run off behind in a downpour is nothing short of astounding.

Chips/scratches are related to impact events, not necessarily crappy underlying paint.
      10-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
JJSchmooze
I'm on that Orange Crush
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe VOP ZCV ZPP

Call me what you will, and yes this is my opinion and I may be wrong but I expect more for my hard earned 50k. I do find the comparison worth noting when a 20k dollar less vehicle had no paint chip issues all the way to 50k in miles. Just saying, and apparently I am not the only one who feels this way, thank you Google

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that’s what gets you.” Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
rusty racer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB, 2011 R8 v10 spy

I love my 1M and would not trade it for any other car in the price range. Quality of interior is great. But....

I have had paint/body issues: I had an outward ding on my roof near the edge. Turned out to be a double fired rivet under the headliner. REquired headliner drop, rivet drill out/replace, and PDR to fix. The other VO 1M in town had several dirt/dust particles in the paint and required some wet sanding. No big deal and both cars look great and our local dealer did a great job taking care of the problem.

As for chips. I am not sure if this is a BMW problem or a sports car problem, strange. I have never had rock chip problems on my other cars in the past but my 2008 M3 was chipped in a horrible way over a one year time to the point it required a nose repaint. I installed clear bra at that time. So on the 1M it got an extensive paint protection install quickly after purchase. I can't stand chips.

But seriously the 1M is awesome and these small flaws can't take away from it being a rocking good time to own and drive.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Does BMW offer a paint chip repair warranty or anything like that? Something like what they offer with the wheel/tire coverage?

May be worth investing in. Especially since I'm getting black and DFW is a dust bowl on the highways.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 11:55 AM   #10
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

step 1: Buy a Motorhome

step 2: Buy a 1M car cover

step 3: Park 1M in Motorhome

Step4: Cover 1M

Step5: Drive motorhome instead of 1M (Bonus: put Subaru badge on Motorhome)

WIN!
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 12:20 PM   #11
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
No issues on my VO maybe its your eyes OP even detailersdomain said the paint looked fantastic
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 12:26 PM   #12
RizOne
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

I think people paying over $50K for a car expect a certain level of quality and attention to detail. The way he is venting is probably not the most appropriate. I had a similar instance with a Porsche costing 3 times as much. The dealership detailed the car a few times, when that did not work they paid me to take it to a high end detailer of my choice. The paint was able to be corrected luckily, the clear bra had to be reapplied. I also have the option to have front resprayed at any time in the future.
Fwiw the older BMW's have better paint and more chip resistance. Even my daily E46 330i is amazing, not a ding, paint chip or scratch. The newer BMW's have a crease on door that always gets hit. The E46 is protected by the moulding. I am definitely worried about my 1M. Good luck in resolving the issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #13
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Dont follow so closely to the car ahead of you maybe?

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 01:07 PM   #14
rusty racer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB, 2011 R8 v10 spy

I do agree now that my issue is fixed that the paint is beautiful and shines like no other. Does have orange peel but don't all german cars?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 01:23 PM   #15
MusclezMarinara
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: VALNCYA

Garage List
Clear Bra?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #16
HALOTHANE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: INTERLAGOS ZCP

Garage List
No paint issues with my clockwork orange 1M. Lots of road construction around town, highway driving, and track days. Great quality thus far. BTW its a car, drive it and enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #17
Lexington
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Blue Water

The paint finishes don't seem as durable since they went to water based paints.
      10-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #18
Schnorbitz
Second Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 318d

Adamantium wrap?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 01:45 PM   #19
Redadair
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M #293 - 88 E30 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
+1

The build quality of my 1M far exceeds that of my STi.

Sell the car to someone who actually likes the car then!
August 8th ED (#293 of 739 or 740)
88 E30 M3 100% OEM 73K Miles
02 E39 M5 Le Mans Blue 50K Miles
06 E46 M3 ZCP 58K Miles
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 01:56 PM   #20
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

[re.

Not enjoying this prima donna [/QUOTE]

I call BS!! HAving bveen behind the wheel of STI's quite a bit and just this weekend behind the wheel of a NEW WRX as i am shopping for my son the Subbie indeed are nice cars but IMO nowhere is the build as nice as a BMW..Sorry dude i disagree big time...

If the 1M is such an issue, i am sure quite a few folks would be more than interested in taking it off your hands,,,
      10-11-2011, 02:12 PM   #21
BMW Gator
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C8/R8/1M/X5/JK Rubicon/FJ40

No problems here in sunny Florida

Maybe the problem is Dirty Jersey
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2011, 02:18 PM   #22
James T. Kirk
Captain of the Enterprise
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1 Series M Coupe

The OP is entitled to an opinion about the paint.

I would just recommend that with using any auto as a Daily Driver, there is going to be some natural wear and tear that is just a fact of life. Chasing every chip and scratch will just make you nuts and probably something you didn't do when you were younger driving your Subaru.

I guess there's something about getting older and wealthier in time, that we tend to buy more expensive cars and get more and more anal about preserving them until you end up an old man with a garage full of collectibles that you don't drive at all any more.

Get out there. Drive your car. Have some fun, and don't stress the bumps and bruises of enjoying one of the finest rides on the road today.

2011 1 Series M Coupe VO M3 vs 1M Comparo Review
2011 M3 E90 DCT ZCP (sold) * 2010 335i Sedan (sold)
2005 M3 Convertible (sold) * 2003 325i Sedan (sold)
Appreciate 0