BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-28-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
BroDoze
Captain
Rep
Drives: Stuff

Michelin Pilot Super Sports Rock

Finally got 'em on today. Wow. I like 'em a lot.

I was running 2yr old original RFTs. Loud and worthless for traction.

These are so much better - took a few corners and was pleasantly surprised. Much better ride and much queiter.

A very slight bit less turn-in "feel", but hardly noticable - the overall quick, sharp adjustments are MUCH better with these.

Went the usual 225/40, 255/35. Thanks for the advice all.
      11-29-2011, 12:04 PM   #2
ParkNuts
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Good to hear. I will be doing the same this week. I have a huge nail in my front right and it has a bubble in it. Nobody will fix it.

Does the car look more aggressive with the tires?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
BroDoze
Captain
Rep

It does look more aggressive - a slight bit goofy on the balloon fronts, but that's just cause the RFTs were so stinkin' thin.
      11-29-2011, 10:34 PM   #4
Bimmer_Freak
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Is the ride comfort MUCH better? Or only a bit noticeable?
      11-30-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
BroDoze
Captain
Rep

MUCH, MUCH better. I was one of those drivers that swerved left and right all the way to work and back avoiding any slight deviation in the road. Not anymore. The "micro" bumps don't even phase these tires like they did the RFTs.

I will say I do wish Michelin made the stock 215/40 fronts - I would have gone with those. Steering is a slight bit numb-er. Not to the point where I regret anything, but I can tell I've got bigger tires on the front - only because I know what that feels like as i've done it on a past vehicle. I can tell, ever so slightly, that these tires are indeed taller than the stockers.
      11-30-2011, 10:55 AM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

^^+2 MUCH, much better! I to can say how much better the ride is without RFTs. The best way I can describe it is to say that the tires actually feel like they are made from rubber instead of some other "hard non bendable" substance. When you go over bumps now, the wheels don't hang up in the air and thay actually absorb the "hits" or bumps. You can feel the car's suspension work, instead of react like before. Still the suspension is not the greatest point of the 135i. But it seems to work much better with non RFTs. As to steering "feel" that is the only dept that you give up a smudge of "performance" in. In every other catagory the tires just work so much better. Here is what I wrote about the 225/255 Micheline PS3's that I installed this year.

My new Michelin PS3’s 225’s & 255’s…

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...chelin+PS3%27s
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 05:43 PM   #7
135forthewin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post

I will say I do wish Michelin made the stock 215/40 fronts - I would have gone with those. Steering is a slight bit numb-er. Not to the point where I regret anything, but I can tell I've got bigger tires on the front - only because I know what that feels like as i've done it on a past vehicle. I can tell, ever so slightly, that these tires are indeed taller than the stockers.
The lack of steering feel is for two main reasons, neither of which are the size of the front tires.
The first reason is they are brand new tires with brand new tread. Deeper tread compared to your old RFTs with cause that loose feeling you're talking about.
The second reason is the composition of the RFTs. In order to allow you to run on them without pressure, the sidewalls are super stiff so they can support the weight of the car.

Hope you enjoy em! A buddy of mine just got them on his 1er and I love the way they feel. I'm still obsessed with the Dunlop Star Specs I have now, but Super Sports will probably be my next tire.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 08:21 PM   #8
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135forthewin View Post
I'm still obsessed with the Dunlop Star Specs I have now, but Super Sports will probably be my next tire.
I like Star Specs better for track, and I like Super Sports better for street. On track, the Star Specs are much tougher - they have a much happier squeal to listen to, and they don't overheat and get slippery as easily. On the street, the Super Sports are much quieter, and they have a really nice ride. I prefer the Super Sports lighter steering feel on both street and track, and I think the Star Specs feel grippier on both street and track.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 09:16 PM   #9
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

The MPSS are the best street tire made.
Appreciate 0