BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
rjdsts
Jman
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i

New Car Tire Pressures

Checked the tire pressures on my day old car this morning. Cold pressures for normal driving are supposed to be 32 psi front and 35 rear according to the sticker on the door jamb. In fact all four tires were about 42 psi. Adjusted them to a pound over the recommended levels to account for losses over the next month. I think this is a common problem and wonder if others have checked.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Many times car companies will over-inflate the tires during shipping to prevent flat-spotting. This was a common issue with Lotus a few years back where dealers didn't know to let the air out and people had bald strips down the middle of their tires after a month. It's a good idea to check pressures when you take delivery. I wouldn't say it's common but it happens.

A couple of people have had the suspension spacer block left in their suspension keeping the car super high and riding rough as hell.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Had the same thing on my 1er and my wife just picked up her new X3...[BTW its a stitch to drive--her second one] and checked her tires???--38 in each, supposed to be 32 at all four corners. I suspect its a factory thing--inflating over a bit for travel?? and waiting around for pickup. BUT on the other hand, I kind of thot our dealer would have addressed that in prep...but am not worried about it. They really are not checked over just too much, and the cleaning guy [who is very precise at our dealership] probably has not even been trained to check it--or it may not be on his prep list. BTW--be sure to check your tires on a monthly basis, as many Bimmer wheels loose a couple pounds each month. Lots of folks in our club here verify that--and most folks just never check them--thus running on lower than normal pressures on a regular basis. It does affect handling...congrats on the 1er...just a stitch to drive.
Appreciate 0