BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

12-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
Nition
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 AW/FR E93 M3

First time on the track...

Hey guys, as the title says, I will be tracking my car very soon. I have planned a few mods for the car but I still need the opinion of more experienced drivers.

1. Apex Arc-8 wheels. I don't know whether to get a staggered setup or a square setup. Please advise, this is going to be my first time driving aggressively on a race track. As I understand it, a square setup is going make the car oversteer easier than a staggered setup. If so, I may want to go with the staggered setup for safety since I am new to this even though I will save on tires with the square setup.

2. Brake lines, brake pads and maybe brake fluid. I don't think I will be upgrading to a BBK just yet, so I hope these will be enough. Any recommendations of a good set of lines, pads and fluid will be very much appreciated. I would really like a combination that will not compromise regular road driving but is also decent for the track. I will not be switching the setup for regular road driving so I want something fairly quiet and comfortable but can also take the heat on the track. This will be my first time so I don't think the brakes will be abused as much as experienced drivers.

3. Tires. I am willing to spend a good $1000 or a little more for a set of tires that can be used on the road and on the track. My choices are Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec, Hankook RS-3, Continental ExtremeContact DW, Yokohama ADVAN Sport, Nitto NT05. Any other recommendations will be very much appreciated.

This is it so far. I will be keeping the same setup for both the track and the street as I will not have the time to switch them out (I'm also too dumb to switch them out myself lol). Any opinions and suggestions are welcome

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 08:54 PM   #2
dizzyj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none

I recommend not doing any mods to your car. Do the typical tech inpsection, get the brakes bled, and just go and have fun, and be prepared to learn.

you have an extremely capable car as is. You will not out drive the limits it offers.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 09:33 PM   #3
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Car

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
^ As someone who recently began spending way more time at the track, I think the above advice is the best. Just get your brakes bled, and be prepared to learn a whole lot about driving technique.

Once you've decided you're going to do this regularly, shell out for a good helmet first! This is something that is going to be very noticeable right away, and unless you plan to go through helmets often, you'll have to live with it for years to come.

As you begin pushing the car more, you'll get a better sense of what needs to be modified. You've obviously done some research, and you've got a good idea of what will probably need changing first. Good brake fluid, pads and stainless steel lines will be more than enough for most track days. Your tire/wheel choice will be tied together since you'll need to decide square/staggered fitment etc. I'd suggest that this can wait; feel how MDM mode works, play without traction control to feel out the car, and from there, your driving style will give you a better idea of which way to go.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2011, 01:08 AM   #4
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

What dizzyj and shizzle said. Also, see the replies to the similar question in this section recently posted by KMIII.

Safety first--make sure your wheels are properly torqued, your tires are at the appropriate pressure, and your brake pads have at least half of their material remaining.

Listen to your instructor and have fun.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #5
jimib
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Listen to your instructors. Be smooth, look ahead. Take a few laps to warm up your tires. Just go a little faster each lap. The track will be there next time around, no rush.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2011, 10:45 PM   #6
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

listen to the above. once you have been out for a few times then yes to all 3. get a set of pads, lines and fluid and a set or wheels and tires. i suggest advan ad08s for the tires and the apex arcs are cheap and light cant go wrong there.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0