BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

12-19-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
CityOfAngels
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: W211 E55 AMG

Whats the scoop on aftermarket rims?

I don't have an M3 but I post here because M3 owners generally have good taste and knowledge when it comes to aftermarket modding.

I'm thinking about getting some rims for my E55. Initially I wanted some black ones but now I'm seeing this look everywhere and kind of want to get something a little more elegant, so I'm thinking a brushed silver wheel.

My question is, whats the real difference between most rims? For example 3 piece vs forged wheels. I hear forged are usually lighter, but 3 piece may be better if only one part of the rim is damaged, you don't have to replace the whole thing?

Also, I don't want to get stuck with a brand thats associated with ghetto rims. Actually most brands are, but is there really a difference in quality, or is it just style?
Maybe something like this:

Or a darker brushed finish like this:

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 09:39 PM   #2
Rob@StrasseWheels
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW G80 M3 Comp

Thumbs up

Nice ride, always loved the W211 E55 AMG! To answer your question, you should check out this sticky thread that explains everything about wheel manufacturing methods: Crash course on wheel types

We specialize in 3 piece forged wheels (for now, many new things are coming in 2012) and all of our wheels are custom built to meet each vehicles exact fitment specifications and require no spacers or hub rings.

As far as what you're looking for, I think our R10 wheel in a Titanium brushed finish would look perfect on your E55!

We recently wrapped up this W211 E63 AMG with a set and it came out amazing!

We actually have this same set up in stock (With visible hardware) and could have them done and ready to ship within a week if you'd like!

Feel free to send me an email to Robert@Strasseforged.com if you have any questions or would like more details!

Good luck on your search!

@Strasse_Robert | (786)701-3649 | Robert@StrasseWheels.com | www.StrasseWheels.com
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
mshab356
Go ///M or go home
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 6MT

Rob, those wheels are gorgeous!

OP, depending on whether you want form over function or function over form will help us give you some advice. Search is also very helpful. There's tons of threads regarding this issue. But if you let us know what you're looking for in a wheel (looks, lightweight, etc) we can give you better advice.

GONE 2011 SG/Blk E92 M3 CS 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 09:57 AM   #4
advanced101
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

That looks clean
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
CityOfAngels
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: W211 E55 AMG

Thanks guys. I'm mostly interested in looks. The car is plenty fast enough for me so lighter wheels aren't THAT important right now. I want to make sure my wheels are still very respectable looking because I live in a pretty conservative area where rims are kinda looked down upon so I don't want to have a ghetto look.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #6
PINHEAD
Motorsport Passion!!!
Monaco
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS/911R

stick with good brands like BBS, Volk, Advan, Neez, HRE. All others, meh if you want to be different go ahead, but you dont buy to be different. You buy to be the BEST.