BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-20-2011, 06:12 AM   #1
dsc201knoc
thatbimmerguy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 95 ///M3, 97 ///M3, 08 2002

Garage List
Tire/Wheel Safety Concerns (Proffesional Assistance Requested)

I was recently in an accident with my vehicle where all four wheels and tires impacted transversely with a curb. I am trying to get safety information about tires and wheels, and if they should be driven on after the tires have been hit on the side wall. The damage on the vehicle was 6700 (not including wheels and tires) and the impact on the driver side wheels was hard enough to break a chunk off both the front and rear wheel (iSS Forged).

I guess i need to know if a hard side wall impact could degrade the integrity of the tire and not be visible or identifiable. I would also like to know if you would drive a sports car that had two tires that were in a sidewall collision on your car.

Thank you for your time, i just need professional opinions on this topic.

Damon Wilson

The reason i was asking is that my friend was in an accident with his car, they said his wheels and tires were fine (if they even checked) and 2 months down the road i was driving his car and had a sidewall blowout going 70 on the highway. When i he had the tire replaced it looked brand new and perfect minus the giant tear along the sidewall. I guess it could have been coincidence; however, the tires didnt even have 1000 miles on them before or after the accident and his car was only slid sideways slightly when the other car hit him in his front passenger corner.

This is more of a question for professionals, i know all of us enthusiasts feel it is retarded to only replace two tires on one side of a car period, no less not replacing all the tires when in an accident. the term "where the rubber meets the road" is there for a reason, because this is one of the most important safety concerns when driving a vehicle.

135 For Sale
Parts Feeler
LET THE EAST COAST PLAY TOO!!!

Last edited by dsc201knoc; 12-20-2011 at 06:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 07:14 AM   #2
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N55 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
I don't think anyone is going to give you advice on this at the risk of something happening to the tires. However, my opinion is that you shouldn't mess around with tires. Tires are cheap in comparison to the rest of the car, but are the most important thing. Replace them, better safe than sorry.
      12-20-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
dsc201knoc
thatbimmerguy
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogart View Post
I don't think anyone is going to give you advice on this at the risk of something happening to the tires. However, my opinion is that you shouldn't mess around with tires. Tires are cheap in comparison to the rest of the car, but are the most important thing. Replace them, better safe than sorry.
I was really expecting some info from a rep of tirerack... or something like that, I have contacted goodyear, tirerack, and a few other tire places to get their opinion also.

my issue right now is that my insurance was all about fixing my car; however, when they found out the wheels were $4500 and my tires are $1600 they are trying to go cheap and only pay for the 2 wheels and 2 tires. (Insurance certified body shop).. They went as far as saying they would only pay up to 3500 or i needed an "aftermarket endorsement" on my insurance. After not being able to get a hold of my claims adjuster 3 times and speaking with 3 other claims adjusters i found out that USAA does not have a "aftermarket endorsement"

I then wrote 2 emailed to my claims adjuster stating i cant find anything about an "aftermarket endorsement" on the website nor have i seen or heard about it anywhere before. I also complained about the way USAA and the autobody shop attempted to stonewall me out, and even go as far as saying that "my insurance was giving me a good deal" (to me that sounds like they are shady)

If i have two professional tire shops tell me that the tires SHOULD be replaced, i will email that to my insurance and tell them that by not replacing the tires they are putting me at risk, as I feel they are.

I have full coverage with $50 collision deductible and $0 comprehensive on all 3 of my cars and this is the stuff i have to go through. I have my insurance company representatives making up "endorsements" that dont exist.

135 For Sale
Parts Feeler
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 07:32 AM   #4
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N55 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
I gotcha. There is no such thing as an aftermarket endorsement, but what I did was go to my agent with a list of the mods on my car with retail price values, then they took photos of everything and added it to my file. They said if I ever got in an accident the items would be covered.
      12-20-2011, 07:40 AM   #5
dsc201knoc
thatbimmerguy
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogart View Post
I gotcha. There is no such thing as an aftermarket endorsement, but what I did was go to my agent with a list of the mods on my car with retail price values, then they took photos of everything and added it to my file. They said if I ever got in an accident the items would be covered.
Even after the local claims adjuster said that they would only cover $3500, when i talked to my personal claims adjuster for this accident she stated that there was no limit to the amount and she was the final approving authority. That was on the same day.

They didnt even check to see if the other 2 wheels were bent, then the claims adjuster said.. "You shouldnt buy custom wheels, im sure i can go online and find wheels that look just like that for 800 dollars..." I told him that they were custom made wheels, specifically for my car, that are lightweight forged. I also informed him that the car was a once a month driven car and he could check the mileage and see i have only put 300 miles on the car in the last 3 months.

they think im going to settle but im not going to. If the repairs are not completed on my car i do not have to take it back..

135 For Sale
Parts Feeler
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 08:23 AM   #6
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Your right and you should replace all four tires/wheels. Who knows if you have unseen stress cracks in the other (side) wheels or a cut belt inside one of the tires.

You should also tell your adjuster your going to contact your states insurance commissioner. I bet he will change his tune. IF not.. I would just pay out of pocket and send your insurance company the bill and cc your states insurnace commissioner too. G.L.

Last edited by Dackelone; 12-20-2011 at 08:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 08:35 AM   #7
dsc201knoc
thatbimmerguy
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Your right and you should replace all four tires/wheels. Who knows if you have unseen stress crakcs in the other (side) wheels or a cut belt inside on of the tires.

You should also tell your adjuster your going to contact your states insurance commissioner. I bet he will change his tune. IF not.. I would just pay out of pocket and send your insurance company the bill and cc your states insurnace commissioner too. G.L.
Thanks, that is good advice. The thing that is really killing me is that the wheels impacted transversely, if it would have been straight on, i wouldnt be as concerned but with 2 chunks missing from the driver side wheels, it makes me skeptic of the other side, they didnt just float over the curb during the accident.

135 For Sale
Parts Feeler
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 09:01 AM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

How did your car's alignment come out afterwards? Did anything else get bent/damaged? And how faster were you going when you hit that curb sideways? Maybe you need a 2nd/rd opinion on the damages. ?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 09:27 AM   #9
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc201knoc View Post

Thank you for your time, i just need professional opinions on this topic.

Damon Wilson
You should have them inspected by a local tire shop. No one can determine what needs to be done from a forum post. They need to be inspected.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 10:42 AM   #10
dsc201knoc
thatbimmerguy
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
How did your car's alignment come out afterwards? Did anything else get bent/damaged? And how faster were you going when you hit that curb sideways? Maybe you need a 2nd/rd opinion on the damages. ?
Dont know yet they are still working on the car and have had it for a month already and just started the rear quarter panel. The two driver side wheels had chunks taken out of them and you can see where the front driver side wheel powder coating flaked off and bent the wheel. I wasnt going too fast but the car was sliding and cant be sure.. It was not highway speeds. It hit hard enough to have to replace parts of the rear suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gill@Tirerack.com View Post
You should have them inspected by a local tire shop. No one can determine what needs to be done from a forum post. They need to be inspected.
Hey Gill,

The issue im having is my insurance company is trying to do everything in house at the autobody shop. The way the car drove after the accident was horrible. I was asking about the tires primarily on this forum because it was sponsored by tire rack.

This is my real main question.

Is it recommended (doesnt have to be required) that the tires be replaced if there is a transverse impact with the sidewall of all 4 tires, or is there circumstances where the tires will be ok?

I told the autobody shop that i would pick up the wheels and bring them to 2 shops if they say they are ok then cool im good with that; however, like i said earlier, they are trying to stonewall me.

here is the photo of part of the damage..

driver f and r wheel hit at the same time, then the pole, then the car went swooping around to hit the inside of the front and rear pass wheel and tire.

This was after I was told anything on the car was covered, but before i told them the cost of the wheels and tires.

Quotes from emails

The Body Shop.

"---- Advises that there is a $3500 maximum on Aftermarket/ upgrades unless you purchase the endorsement for Aftermarket Add-ons...."

"This is not something that just ---- has on the policy, ---- is very generous with $3500, as some are only $1000 limit for such things."

"I still have not heard from anyone at ---- as to your wheels or tires....??? Have you?? I have attached the current estimate of damages and the additional parts that had to be ordered for the body repairs."

My Insurance

"This is something that the shop will need to review with USAA, however you are more than welcome to provide that information to the shop review with USAA."

My Final Emails before the insurance actually contacted me about the repairs to my vehicle.

To Body Shop
"Contacted ---- again. They have not updated my claim information. I contacted my adjuster again; however, again she was not in her office. I spoke with another claims adjuster again and that person yet again had no idea what this "special coverage" is. I will get receipts; however, until I get a direct definitive answer from ----, I will not be progressing and agreeing with this "aftermarket part" policy. I would also like the name and contact information of the representative that came down to inspect the vehicle. I have been running in circles with ---- and now I need names please. I also need the name of the first person and contact information of that person that talked about this "special endorsement" so I can compile a list and get the information from ---- straight."

To Insurance
"I am getting mixed information from everyone i speak with at ---- and the information that has been put out to the Autobody Shop. I am more then frustrated with this right now. I keep being told there is some "special endorsement" for aftermarket parts that no one I talk to at ---- knows about and that I can not find anywhere on the website, nor have I ever been offered or even told about a "special aftermarket part" endorsement.

As for the wheels, all 4 have transversely impacted with a concrete curb to include all 4 tires. I have requested the names and contact information about the two ---- representatives that have mentioned this "special" endorsement. I will not be blocked out of the repairs and negotiations between the "---- Approved Bodyshop" and ---- about the repair of MY VEHICLE. The idea that the autobody shop will negotiate what gets repaired on my car is unacceptable.

If there is a question about damage of the passenger side wheels, i request they get sent back to the manufacturer to insure that they are true and straight, and that a side impact to a low profile tire can drastically reduce the integrity of the tire. A local facility that repairs steel and other aftermarket wheels is unacceptable because these are forged custom wheels not an off the shelf 400 dollar set of wheels.

Please contact me ASAP to discuss my current issues and complaints.

Damon Wilson"

The History between my insurance company and myself is a rocky one.

I have had 3 claims overall and all 3 have been terrible. (this one being the third)

The first one was with my e90 when someone hit me and they replaced the bumper at an "approved" body shop.... The paint started peeling one month after i got the car back. (still have photos)

I reopened the claim as soon as i got back in the US, the next "approved" body shop painted the parts the wrong color and clear coated dust into the paint. Sold the car and they never fixed it. (still have photos)

The second
claim was for my mini cooper (which should have been covered by MINI) My JCW front lip and both fender flares flew off on the highway. (MINI said they couldnt warranty it unless they could prover it wasnt a collision. What collision leaves everything perfect but removes both fender flares and the front lip?) Anyway one of the service advisers had the same think happen to him 2 weeks later.

I told my insurance that i "hit a dip in the road and when the car recoiled the 2 pc front lip and fender flares flew off." ---- stated that i "hit" the dip so it was a collision and not comprehensive.

I bring the car to another "approved" body shop and they mark down half the parts that are missing attempting to force me to get the work done at their shop. They stated they couldnt get MINI on the phone to get the part numbers. (this body shop was right next to the dealership, walking distance) I go to mini and get the full parts list and i asked if the bodyshop called the rep said "no one had called all morning from over there." Needless to say i did not get the car repaired there.

and now this, and unfortunately i dont trust my insurance's "approved" body shops, but because i move so much i need the coverage encase i have problems down the road and i cant get back to one specific body shop.

135 For Sale
Parts Feeler
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #11
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Your best bet is to have them inspected locally, but if it's possible replace all four. If the sidewall is damaged at all, the tire could fail which would be quite bad. In the long run the cost of tires is minute compared to risking your car, your life, or other's lives.

On a side note though, it is very unfortunate that you are going through this ordeal with the body shop and insurance company. I hope everything gets sorted out and that you get taken care of.