BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

01-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
drburton
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Alpine

Brakes - Help Please

Problem: Rear discs are rusted on the inside about an inch (from hub). Obviously the pads are not being applied evenly on the rotor. This is on both sides, identical. No issues with fronts. When the car is driven you can't even notice any problem, no vibrations etc...

History: I did two track events this year, the first in July, I switched out to Pagid RS19 and then back to stock a couple days after. No issues. Second track event in October, did the switch again to the RS19, then back to stock.

Just noticed the uneven wear on the rear this week. Took the caliber off tonight and examined it, the pins etc.. and everything seems fine. Obviously the pads are not currently wearing evenly but very minor since the car hasn't been driven much with the issue.

Any thoughts on what could cause this?

Caliber problem, not sliding on pins correctly?
Could I have installed them wrong, not sure how I would of messed that up
Track pads cause uneven rotor wear and now stock pads are not flush?

Next step is dealer, so if you have any thoughts let me know.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
Gearhead999s
Major General
Rep
Drives: RR Velar R=Dynamic M2C R1200GS

Try rebedding the street pads again.I sometimes have the same issue after using my track pads and switch back to the street setup.It is probally caused by pad buildup on the centre of the swept area of the rotors.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #3
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

Good advice. I always rebed my stock pads when replacing. It does not take much bedding to do this however. Two or three stops (slow downs will work) from 65 to 35. If continued problem, take it to the dealer.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead999s View Post
Try rebedding the street pads again.I sometimes have the same issue after using my track pads and switch back to the street setup.It is probally caused by pad buildup on the centre of the swept area of the rotors.
+1 definitely try rebedding the street pads. This could also be due to the street and track pad compounds not being compatible.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 08:10 AM   #5
LiM3y
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnes View Post
+1 definitely try rebedding the street pads. This could also be due to the street and track pad compounds not being compatible.
A tip I read (here I think) is if you keep the track pads on the car on the drive home, they will abrade/clean their own resin off the rotor before putting street pads on. In normal driving, the race pads will not (should not!) get hot enough to deposit resin.
      01-13-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiM3y View Post
A tip I read (here I think) is if you keep the track pads on the car on the drive home, they will abrade/clean their own resin off the rotor before putting street pads on. In normal driving, the race pads will not (should not!) get hot enough to deposit resin.
Yes, if a race pad is not in its operating temp range it becomes abrasive, rather than ablative, and will "machine" the rotor; however, that doesn't mean the rotor surface is perfectly "clean" and ready for a street compound. Rebedding or prepping the surface with a rotary sander (recommened by brake pad manufactures) may still be required.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #7
drburton
Lieutenant
Rep

Greatly appreciate all the responses. I'm going to try a rebed but haven't had time yet. I'll let you know how it works. That inch of rotor is getting really rusted, hopefully the pad can eat through it if it starts to make contact again.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

Quote:
That inch of rotor is getting really rusted
Hey, if you car is still under warranty, don't fool around with trying to "do it yourself" fix em up. Take it to your BMW Store. Simple. They will fix what ever it is, and it should be fully covered. You mess with it, and you may own it. The suggestions offered are only that - no idea if they will cure the problem. Good luck.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #9
drburton
Lieutenant
Rep

Did the bed in procedure and the pads seem to be making better contact (rubbing on rust spots). I'll do it a few additional times and drive the car some more and hopefully they will clear.

On a side note, it seems the anti rattle springs don't have nearly as much tension anymore. Do you guys periodically replace them?
Appreciate 0