BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-13-2012, 07:19 AM   #1
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep
Drives: 08 135i "Simona"

Solid Subframe Bushings - too stiff for street?

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-11...me-mounts.aspx

Would these be any better than the M3 subframe bushings? Are they worth it for twice the price? I want the rear to bee more solid, but I don't know if the bushings can be "too stiff" for the street. I would imagine they would be fine, but wanna check with the experts before I pull the trigger.

Last edited by chachacha28; 01-13-2012 at 07:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

I would say yes they're going to be too stiff for the street. You'll be feeling every vibration and movement the rear suspension and driveline make. I wouldn't do it.
      01-13-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

Delrin is a hard plastic that doesn't give, it scratches and wears. I wouldn't recommend these for street use. Look into the M3 ones that are solid core rubber for street.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #4
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fboutlaw View Post
Delrin is a hard plastic that doesn't give, it scratches and wears. I wouldn't recommend these for street use. Look into the M3 ones that are solid core rubber for street.
thanks man, thats what ill do.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 11:41 AM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I just had the 1M/M3 rear subframe bushings installed in my car this week. They are PERFECT! Gone is that anoying wiggle when over the car goes over bumps or man-hole covers. When you pitch the car into a turn the rear just feels like one with the road. And even at high speeds (above 130 mph) the car feels MUCH more solid than before. I should have done this mod a LONG time ago. Really I can not say enough good things about this mod.

The only down side is on cobblestone roads - the ride is more rough. Say 20% or so. But on normal roads the wide is only 10% or so stiffer. The rear really feels much more planted now. It does not wander at all when you change direcions or go over bumps. Before you kind of had to ride along with what the rear did. Not it does when YOU want it to do/go!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
1Fasst1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, Jet Black 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I just had the 1M/M3 rear subframe bushings installed in my car this week. They are PERFECT! Gone is that anoying wiggle when over the car goes over bumps or man-hole covers. When you pitch the car into a turn the rear just feels like one with the road. And even at high speeds (above 130 mph) the car feels MUCH more solid than before. I should have done this mod a LONG time ago. Really I can not say enough good things about this mod.

The only down side is on cobblestone roads - the ride is more rough. Say 20% or so. But on normal roads the wide is only 10% or so stiffer. The rear really feels much more planted now. It does not wander at all when you change direcions or go over bumps. Before you kind of had to ride along with what the rear did. Not it does when YOU want it to do/go!
Good to hear your review. I have been thinking of the same mod myself. Do you have anyother suspension mods to go along with this ? As my car is a daily driver I realy dont need much as I dont track the car or autox, but do enjoy a car that handles well on the street and not give up to much ride comfort. Thanks for any imput
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Fasst1 View Post
Good to hear your review. I have been thinking of the same mod myself. Do you have anyother suspension mods to go along with this ? As my car is a daily driver I realy dont need much as I dont track the car or autox, but do enjoy a car that handles well on the street and not give up to much ride comfort. Thanks for any imput

My car's supension is totally stock. And right now I have my winter 17" 205's snows mounted. The way the car drives/rides with the M3 rear subframe bushings is really how these cars should have been built! The ride is THAT good. Even when you go over a sharp hard pothole or man hole cover... everything feels so solid and of one piece. No more side to side rear wiggle when you go over bumps. And the car has alot of compliance still - even with these M bushings. Its only on really, really rough cobblestone roads that the ride is noticeably rougher. On 95% of the roads around here(in Germany) the ride is super. And the rear does not feel like rubber or wander around when you go WOT on the exit of a turn.

I can see this mod will make me go full hog and get the M3 front control arms and tensile rods. I'll probably go with Koni's and some lower springs too.

I will post a thread soon about my rear M bushings. I just wanted to respond to this trheaad tonight. I'll probably have time on Monday to put a pst together along with some photos.

Dackel
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 02:43 PM   #8
vwrefugee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i 6MT

x2 on Dackel's opinion of the M3 subframe bushings. After much research and deliberation on what to do about the stock bounciness last summer I decided on the bushings rather than new shocks/springs as a first step and I'm sure glad I did.

The stock subframe bushings are crap and should never have been put on this car. I think the reason more people don't put this mod high on their list is because the install is not easy and the total cost if you have it done is pretty high "just for bushings". Certainly upgrading subframe bushings isn't as sexy as getting new shocks/springs, but if people realized what a significant difference it makes to this car they wouldn't hesitate. And the reality is that without doing the bushings even the best suspension set-up will still be hindered by the squishy stock subframe mounts. With the M3 bushings in-place the OEM suspension set-up is actually quite decent (on par with what people are accustomed to from stock BMW suspensions - an impressive balance of comfort and sportiness).

Dackel, definitely do the front control arms/tension rods next, they'll dramatically improve turn-in, understeer, and feedback through the steering wheel. Having done both of these mods along with M3 front and rear sways I now feel no urgency to upgrade the shocks/springs and probably won't do so until they wear out.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
chachacha28
NCOIC of Kickin It
Germany
Rep

i ordered the m3 bushings, and a couple other surprises.

thanks for everyone's input-
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwrefugee View Post
Dackel, definitely do the front control arms/tension rods next, they'll dramatically improve turn-in, understeer, and feedback through the steering wheel. Having done both of these mods along with M3 front and rear sways I now feel no urgency to upgrade the shocks/springs and probably won't do so until they wear out.

Thanks vwrefugee for your input. I hope to have the M3 front suspension bits on by Spring or mid Summer.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 03:58 AM   #11
Elsabor67
aiming for 450.....
United_States
Rep
Drives: Totaled :-(

Garage List
2009 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Thanks vwrefugee for your input. I hope to have the M3 front suspension bits on by Spring or mid Summer.
You need them by spring......remember Stelvio is in June

How much did they charge for the install Dack?