BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

01-31-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
JeremyR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

This is a weird one...

A few weeks ago, I got a TPMS malfunction error. Took it in to the dealer, and by then the error had cleared, and they found no issues. Nothing weird about that.

As I have been driving the car, the error has come up sporadically, and then eventually clears. I am figuring that there is a loose connection somewhere. Then I realized something while I was driving home from work - every day in the same exact place, the error pops back up. There is nothing remarkable about the road - straight highway, but every single day I do the drive, in the same place the error comes back. I normally would think that it has something to do with the mileage, tire temp, etc, but it doesnt happen on my way to work, or driving at other times with any regularity.

Have I found some weird bermuda triangle for TPMS on the NJ Turnpike?
      01-31-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

The TPMS works by radio signals. So it is possible that you are passing through some type of interference that is 'jamming' the tpms signal. That is indeed an odd phenomenon.
      01-31-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

^+1

It must be some type of interference. Try another route and see if that solves the issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
a burrito
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Urus, 958.2 TTS, 997 S

I'm getting this as well but I haven't had it diagnosed by the dealer.. Sometimes it never does it.. Sometimes it just pops up out of nowhere
      01-31-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
JeremyR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by a burrito View Post
I'm getting this as well but I haven't had it diagnosed by the dealer.. Sometimes it never does it.. Sometimes it just pops up out of nowhere
You would think that with all of the computers on these cars they would store exactly what caused the error, but it seems like they dont. When I took it in, they couldn't find anything, and the only thing they could offer was to remove all the tires and inspect the TPMS, and if they didnt find anything they would charge me for the time....