BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

1M at Brands Hatch

Yesterday I took the 1M to Brands Hatch for an open pit track day and it was FANTASTIC!!

The conditions weren’t the best, with fog and freezing temperatures in the morning and then rain in the afternoon (which did warm it up a bit), but the 1M was just perfect. It’s the first time that I’ve really opened it up and got to feel what the handling was like as well. The chassis balance was extremely good (for what is effectively a saloon car) and there was very little body roll. Also the power on the straights left me really impressed. I knew it was quick but when I passed the race prepared Seat Leon Cupra, I think he must have been wondering was I was running haha!

Sufficed to say that in the corners I was quicker than pretty much everything, including a couple of Caterhams. I put this down to the wet conditions as the big tyres on the 1M just had masses of grip. However, on the straights the only thing faster was a very tasty looking Ginetta. Overall I was left deeply impressed with the 1M!

To clear one other matter up. I was running an OBD gauge that monitored my live intake temperatures. Apparently the intercooler on the 1M is meant to be rubbish? Well I can report that I ran at between 26-28c intercooler temps all day after about 10-15 hard laps a time. Apparently anything over 50c is when the car will start to go into “limp mode”, so I was well under that. Also, I had no problems with my brakes which were strong all day.

I'll try and post some photos up soon when I get them sorted.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

Pictures please
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
Ky1M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Z3-M///Coupe ,AW1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerbeast
Pictures please
I bet he wishes he had your wing on powerbeast!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #4
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
Yesterday I took the 1M to Brands Hatch for an open pit track day and it was FANTASTIC!!

The conditions weren’t the best, with fog and freezing temperatures in the morning and then rain in the afternoon (which did warm it up a bit), but the 1M was just perfect. It’s the first time that I’ve really opened it up and got to feel what the handling was like as well. The chassis balance was extremely good (for what is effectively a saloon car) and there was very little body roll. Also the power on the straights left me really impressed. I knew it was quick but when I passed the race prepared Seat Leon Cupra, I think he must have been wondering was I was running haha!

Sufficed to say that in the corners I was quicker than pretty much everything, including a couple of Caterhams. I put this down to the wet conditions as the big tyres on the 1M just had masses of grip. However, on the straights the only thing faster was a very tasty looking Ginetta. Overall I was left deeply impressed with the 1M!

To clear one other matter up. I was running an OBD gauge that monitored my live intake temperatures. Apparently the intercooler on the 1M is meant to be rubbish? Well I can report that I ran at between 26-28c intercooler temps all day after about 10-15 hard laps a time. Apparently anything over 50c is when the car will start to go into “limp mode”, so I was well under that. Also, I had no problems with my brakes which were strong all day.

I'll try and post some photos up soon when I get them sorted.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

These are some photos from the track photographer hence the water marks.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Stock shocks? Car looks pretty flat in those corners.

These are nice!!!!
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
DrShimmy
Private First Class
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 1M Coupe VO!

lovely pictures minus the watermark! Glad you had a good day! The power is awesome!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #8
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Nice one mate, looks well planted in the wet and running standard suspension... Indy or Grand Prix circuit?

See Brands still had some snow hanging about, you done well in those conditions, I got caught out at Brands not long back with a big dumping of snow while running track day rubber, wont be doing that again anytime soon lol

And time to clear out ....

Last edited by Aussie_in_London; 02-14-2012 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #9
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Lovely. Thanks for sharing!

And - stock suspension?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 01:45 AM   #10
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Yep I'm on stock suspension and yes it was very well planted in the wet

In fact I was surprised at just how good the standard suspension and geo are. A friend of mine who has a 330d came out with me and was shocked at how balanced the 1M was in the corners. He said that in his car, the rear end would be stepping out but in the 1M it just hunkered down and gripped.

Its a deeply impressive little car this 1M!!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 02:00 AM   #11
Luca335
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Were you running in MDM or nanny off mode? Thanks for sharing
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 03:26 AM   #12
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca335 View Post
Were you running in MDM or nanny off mode? Thanks for sharing
I ran it in all three modes. Fully off in these conditions however was a bit lively, but MDM worked very well
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #13
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Nice pics, what AEs are these - LUX?
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #14
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBuer View Post
I ran it in all three modes. Fully off in these conditions however was a bit lively, but MDM worked very well
So, how does it compare to the Lotus?

Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 03:28 AM   #15
ChrisBuer
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
Nice pics, what AEs are these - LUX?
Yep they are LUX Angel Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
So, how does it compare to the Lotus?

It's obviously quite different, however I can't say that it's any less fun. The Lotus in these conditions (cold and wet) would have definitely been slower. In fact I drove my friends supercharged Elise and didn't have anywhere near the pace that I had in the 1M.

The Exige in the dry would have been quicker in the bends I'm sure, but on the straights I think it would have been very close. The 1M has so much power that I was pulling away from pretty much everything on the main straights, whereas in the Exige, I think I would have struggled a bit above 100mph.

The balance of the 1M is also superb, much better than I thought it would be. Given the choice on a hot sunny day, I'd take the Exige because that's what it's built for. However, I'd only want it on the track. What's nice about the 1M is that after the track day is over, I can slip it into 6th gear, stick on the heated seats, turn up the HK stereo and waft home. Opposed to having my ears left ringing from the Exige with it's loud exhaust and my back hurting from the hard track suspension.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 04:22 AM   #16
Shost
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe BSM

Chris, let me know next time your heading to Brands. Really need a track day soon as my car is loosening up nicely and I need to get some track action soon!

I too have been to Brands when its a bit cold and icy, definitely an interesting experience.
Appreciate 0