BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Go Back   6Post.com | BMW 6-Series Forum > BMW 6 Series Forum > General 6-Series Coupe, Convertible, and Gran Coupe Forum

03-02-2012, 04:19 AM   #1
dutycalls
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M6

USB Audio Interface vs Telephone USB Audio Interface

Hi All,

What exactly is the difference between these two options on the 6 series;

USB Audio Interface vs Telephone USB Audio Interface

USB Audio Interface is standard, but the Telephone USB Audio Interface is optional.

Which one will work with in Ipod/Iphone to interface music into the car?

Many Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
M6-4KIX
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 6 M(pkg) Coupe

We just ordered this docking system for our iPhone connection. It will actually charge your phone. The other is a USB port that you hook up your phone for access but will not charge the phone> I think this is what you mean?? A $275 accessory here in Canada.

http://www.bmw.ca/ca/en/owners/acces...s/content.html
Attached Images

Last edited by M6-4KIX; 03-02-2012 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: add pic
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
southern6er22
Southern6er22
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i xDrive M Sport Coupe

Garage List
Not quite sure what you mean, but that's probably due to different terminology for different markets. Here's what I do with mine:

iPhone 4S (main phone): Connect via bluetooth and use for calls only. You can also check your voicemail and use Siri (by pressing the home button on the phone itself) via bluetooth. This obviously does not charge the phone. If you use the cradle you get the added benefit of charging the phone and supposedly better reception because it utilizes the car's antenna. I don't like having to take my phone out of my pocket, and I know I
ll forget it and leave it in the armrest if I use a cradle.

iPhone 4 (old and deactivated/can also use a normal iPod): I keep this plugged into the USB port in the armrest using the white Apple cable, and this provides me with my iTunes library including cover art. Additionally, I don't have to stream music from my actual phone via bluetooth thus utilizing some of its battery. You only get cover art if you plug into the USB or use a cradle.

PlugIn: This is a feature that is part of BMW Apps. I haven't used it as I do not have a cradle. I've tried to use the Apple cable, but it won't work. I read something that said this PlugIn feature work like video, and watching videos requires the cradle.

The BMW Apps features like Facebook and Twitter are obviously not available on my deactivated iPhone 4, but I can get them if I plug my current 4S into the Apple cable. I never use these features, so just one more reason why I keep my actual phone in my pocket and the old iPhone 4 in the armrest as an iPod.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutycalls View Post
but the Telephone USB Audio Interface is optional.
This adds a USB connection from the phone cradle to the car, so you can stream music via USB even when the phone is pluged into the cradle.

Otherwise you plug the Ipod or Phone into the standard USB port via the Apple USB cable
      03-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
itinj6
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 650i Coupe

The white USB cable charges the phone. I'm checking that right now as I type.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
dutycalls
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M6

Great, so it sounds like I don't need the optional Telephone USB interface to use my Ipod/IPhone simply for music in the car.

Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
leejae1376
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 650xi M Package

Both option charges. Only diff is "plug-in" option gets enabled (for video and enhanced album search option)

I keep both so that sometimes I want to just pick up the calls and texts. Hate opening the mid console for text msg.
Appreciate 0