ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.0i, Z3 2.5i

Question What's it worth? 08 Z4 3.0si

A friend is thinking he wants a Z4...much like mine. The local BMW dealer is selling this car.

http://crm.bmw.ca/content/preowned/s...px?VIN=LX04151

To compare...I have an 06 3.0i with 14k (miles) that I bought in Sept 2010 with 4K on the meter!

Now I know he doesn't want an ///M model, but I also know the local stealer has not helped me in any matter so I might be biased on my opinion.

So I said I would poll your guys/gals and see what you thought.

Personally I told him to purchase one from the USA and import it (mine was and I am very happy with it). I think this car has too many miles (47k miles) on it for that price.

'06 Z4 3.0i Jet Black/ Biege/Black
Leather / Premium Package / DICE Silverline DUO / Stubby Antenna / Matte Black Grill
Ultimate Cup Holder x2 / Gaptech RCH+ / First Aid storagebox x2 / Acrylic Wind Deflector
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #2
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I too think your idea is better. Canadian prices are way too high IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #3
MDZK
Rep
Drives: N/A

I agree, I work with a lot of local "non franchise" dealers in MN and it is unreal how many BMW's go north of the border. If it is at all possible, I'd look at heading south, chances are you could save a lot of money. I don't have a link handy but I've read a few quick FAQ's/Guides that summarize this process.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDZK View Post
I agree, I work with a lot of local "non franchise" dealers in MN and it is unreal how many BMW's go north of the border. If it is at all possible, I'd look at heading south, chances are you could save a lot of money. I don't have a link handy but I've read a few quick FAQ's/Guides that summarize this process.
My friend is currently looking at a 6 series... in Texas.

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-...sting=32051568

However if the right Z4 came along (he missed two great buys already), he'd still consider one.

Leather / Premium Package / DICE Silverline DUO / Stubby Antenna / Matte Black Grill
Ultimate Cup Holder x2 / Gaptech RCH+ / First Aid storagebox x2 / Acrylic Wind Deflector
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 11:46 PM   #5
Rick Hunter
Skull Squadron Leader
Rep
Drives: '07 M Coupé & '16 435xi GCoupé

Make it easy for your buddy... sell him yours and then you can head south of the border to pick up your very own M.
      03-07-2012, 12:02 AM   #6
Jony722si
The Wrapgician
Canada
Rep
Drives: z4si

Garage List
2006 BMW z4  [0.00]
2009 Bmw 135I  [0.00]
2022 BMW M4C  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
Be patience my friend, I waited the one came out for half year, my 06 si got 19k km when I bought it on 2010, Fully loaded but navi(I retrofitted one on it ), Monaco blue with brown int. extend leather opt, From endras BMW with cpo warranty. I putted down deposit at 30 minutes after it came on BMW.ca inventory website . Original price 32k then 4k discount on it. All your friend have to do is wait for a great deal,
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 06:16 AM   #7
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hunter View Post
Make it easy for your buddy... sell him yours and then you can head south of the border to pick up your very own M.
Nope...I am perfectly fine with my Z4 3.0i..... actually decided the ///M wasn't for me personally.

There are certainly some aspects of the M version I like the hood, dual exhaust, rear bumper, and seats.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 06:22 AM   #8
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jony722si View Post
Be patience my friend, I waited the one came out for half year, my 06 si got 19k km when I bought it on 2010, Fully loaded but navi(I retrofitted one on it ), Monaco blue with brown int. extend leather opt, From endras BMW with cpo warranty. I putted down deposit at 30 minutes after it came on BMW.ca inventory website . Original price 32k then 4k discount on it. All your friend have to do is wait for a great deal,

I think this is part of the problem....I bought mine in 2010 as well, but with only 4013 miles on it...in absolutely perfect condition. He compares anything he sees to mine...

And with the subtle changes I have done to personalize it (DICE Silverline DUO / Stubby Antenna / Matte Black Grill, Ultimate Cup Holder x2 / Gaptech RCH+ / First Aid storagebox x2 / Acrylic Wind Deflector) I can't see me selling this anytime soon.

So he does know there are some fine ones out there, as much as he wants to get one now...he is also itching to own a BMW (He is like me...always liked the 6 series as well.

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Just to compare, my 3.0si cost me less than $25K when I got it in 2009. It was 3 years old with one year warranty left and only 19,000 miles. Most all the options too, premium package, sport package, power M seats, style 108 rims, bluetooth, zenon headlights, etc.

I dunno why stuff in Canada has to be so much more than in the US, especially as the US and Canadian dollars are essentially on par. I think the difference on cars like BMWs is around 50% more up here. If I lived in the US, our 2009 Accord would be a BMW 330 or 335ci without question. It galled me to buy a Fossil watch in Las Vegas for $105 back in November, only to see the exact same watch at my local Sears store here in Canada 2 or 3 weeks ago for a whopping $160. Some Canadians may recall that our Federal Minister of Finance has expressed displeasure at the inexplicable disparity between US and Canadian prices on the basis that Canadians are being prevented by Canadian retailers from realizing the benefits of a strong Canadian dollar. Yes, some taxes and labor costs are higher and the market is smaller, but it doesn't explain the significant price difference.

All this makes me wonder about BMW's market strategy. If they lowered their Canadian prices, they would sell a lot more cars up here, and that means more long term revenue as folks pay for accessories, and out of warranty work in years 5 and onward. Indeed, its probably worth a price redusction to get your cars out there so you get the warranty and repair work at your shop down the road. Methinks their overall revenues would be improved and they would have much greater market share at the end of the day.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.

Last edited by Huz-Z; 03-07-2012 at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz-Z View Post
Just to compare, my 3.0si cost me less than $25K when I got it in 2009. It was 3 years old with one year warranty left and only 19,000 miles. Most all the options too, premium package, sport package, power M seats, style 108 rims, bluetooth, zenon headlights, etc.

I dunno why stuff in Canada has to be so much more than in the US, especially as the US and Canadian dollars are essentially on par. I think the difference on cars like BMWs is around 50% more up here. If I lived in the US, our 2009 Accord would be a BMW 330 or 335ci without question. It galled me to buy a Fossil watch in Las Vegas for $105 back in November, only to see the exact same watch at my local Sears store here in Canada 2 or 3 weeks ago for a whopping $160. Some Canadians may recall that our Federal Minister of Finance has expressed displeasure at the inexplicable disparity between US and Canadian prices on the basis that Canadians are being prevented by Canadian retailers from realizing the benefits of a strong Canadian dollar. Yes, some taxes and labor costs are higher and the market is smaller, but it doesn't explain the significant price difference.

All this makes me wonder about BMW's market strategy. If they lowered their Canadian prices, they would sell a lot more cars up here, and that means more long term revenue as folks pay for accessories, and out of warranty work in years 5 and onward. Indeed, its probably worth a price redusction to get your cars out there so you get the warranty and repair work at your shop down the road. Methinks their overall revenues would be improved and they would have much greater market share at the end of the day.
Did you import your si from the US? 2007 Si's were going for 35K cdn in 2009 when I was in the market.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #11
Huz-Z
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0si, 328 XDrive, X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
Did you import your si from the US? 2007 Si's were going for 35K cdn in 2009 when I was in the market.
Yes, from Florida actually. I wanted a car that had not been winter driven on salt-covered roads, so I looked for a car from one of the snow-free states.

I figure I got a great deal on my car.

BMW Z4 3.0si Roadster. Montego Blue Metallic. Premium and Sport Package.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #12
baege
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 Cayman GTS 4.0 6MT

Quote:
Yes, from Florida actually. I wanted a car that had not been winter driven on salt-covered roads, so I looked for a car from one of the snow-free states.

I figure I got a great deal on my car.
You definitely got a deal, at that time low mileage 2007 si coupe's in the US were going for 30-32 K US. I looked into importing one but they changed the import rules to exclude z4 coupes for some bizzare reason around that time. Low mileage coupe's are still going for 26-27K US 3 years later.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 05:55 PM   #13
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep

Quote:

I dunno why stuff in Canada has to be so much more than in the US, especially as the US and Canadian dollars are essentially on par. I think the difference on cars like BMWs is around 50% more up here.

Some Canadians may recall that our Federal Minister of Finance has expressed displeasure at the inexplicable disparity between US and Canadian prices on the basis that Canadians are being prevented by Canadian retailers from realizing the benefits of a strong Canadian dollar. Yes, some taxes and labor costs are higher and the market is smaller, but it doesn't explain the significant price difference.
Totally agree.... Thus why I am steering my friend to look down south.

He is currently looking at both a Z4 3.0si and the 6 series.... depends on who gives him a better price overall.

For comparison rate. the local stealer has a 650i for $48 grand, where a comparable 650i (similar setup and miles) is about $10 or 15 grand less on average. I'll take that saving any day!

http://dilawribmw.ca/inventory/BMW+6...rey+Met.+20675

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 06:04 PM   #14
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

+1 for south of the border
I saved over 10k on mine
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2012, 10:11 AM   #15
bucko521
More of this than that!
Canada
Rep

UPDATE:

Well my friend was chatting with a sales guy at a local Cadillac dealer. He ended up trading his 2008 Acura TSX for a 2012 CTS-V Coupe.

Dam, if I knew he was wanting to get rid of the TSX, I'd of snapped it up. They gave him way to low on trade-in value (I'd have taken it for sure).

But I digress.... The new Cadillac has 6.2L V8 engine that has 556 horsepower and 551 lb.-ft. of torque.

Can't say it is a bad car... he did drive a new BMW M model in comparison.

But once again the local dealer did not make him feel like they wanted his business.

He actually told the sales guy it all came down the the remote vehicle start that the Cadillac had or that he was just an a##hole....he wasn't sure.

He said he might end up getting a older Z3 for weekend fun.....

Appreciate 0