ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-18-2012, 02:31 AM   #1
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

Flat tire and how I fix 'em

Background
I hate run-flat tires for their poor driving characteristics, rediculus cost to replace and road noise. Since I didn't want to throw away a good tire I drove my OEM set until I couldn't stand the noise (with winter coming I'd figure I'd sacrifice some tread) and went with BF Goodrich KDW2. What an amazing tire. Small hit to MPG, but very smooth, doesn't tramline, and grip out of this world. Of course when switching to traditional tires and not having a spare on board is risky business. I made the same transition when I had my Jeep SRT8.

At the time I did a bunch of research on cheap, dependable, small air compressors. I knew I didn't want a WalMart special, nor did I want something huge. So I went with $43 Q Industries MV40A2. It's a great little compressor. I didn't use it this time, but I tested in my 20" monster Jeep tires and it took about 3 min to fill from flat to 40psi. It came with a great carrying case which is big enough to hold the compressor, hose, air gauge, generic tire plug kit with extra plugs, tube of rubber cement and latex gloves.

http://www.amazon.com/Industries-HV4...2054041&sr=8-4

Lastnight:
Dang so I've had my new KDW2s on for only a few months. Last night I'm in my parents driveway, it's raining cats and dogs, dark, and I have my 5 month old daughter crying because I disturbed her nap to put her in the car.

Side note: I had gone there to use my parents house to use dad's giant paper cutter to cut the fiber backing for the hoodie project. Plus grandma wants to hold the baby.

I get baby settled and start the car and TPMS light is on yellow. Luckily I'm prepared and get my air gauge out of the trunk. All tires read normal except the front right which is 6psi low. I whip out the compressor and top off the tire.

Today I was busy all day, but now that wife and baby are asleep I sneak into the garage to see what's up. Jack the front right corner up and roll the tire to find a HUGE bolt head right between the tread blocks.

Deflate the tire, use pliers to pull that giant bolt out. Thank goodness the hole is small. I use a crapload of rubber cement on the plug and drive it in. Wait 5 min for the glue to set (clean car windows), and fill it up to 40psi. Trim the excess plug with a razor blade and mount the tire back. Torque bolts with torque wrench and set car back down. I was done in about 20 min. Tomorrow I'll check that I still have 40psi, adjust back down to 36psi, and of course check daily for the next week or so.

Hmmmm.... I see I can't spell "nylon"...

My spare tire kit has saved me on 3 occasions in my Z4, once in my Jeep, coworkers in the parking lot 4 times, and I've used the compressor to fill up a friend's motorcycle at his house. I do have AAA roadside but I hate the idea of waiting (maybe someplace dangerous) and in my case I don't have a spare to put on. When we go to the snow in my wife's SUV or a road trip in a friend's car I take this kit.

Hope this rant reminds a brother or sister to invest in a kit for when you need it most! My dad's philosphy when it comes to tools (or hoarding guns and ammo): "Better to have than to want."
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 04:23 AM   #2
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

I have a very similar setup in my car. It turns a nail or screw in your tire into a simple 15 minute delay then you're off again. I did go with the Walmart special. It works fine but overheats if you're inflating more than one tire... which I'm usually not so it suits me well.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
How fast does the compressor that comes with our "M"s inflate an OEM flat? Anyone have any experience with the factory compressor?

John
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Good find on the compressor. That's a huge offender there! Geez.

Aren't plugs temporary fixes? Thought it was necessary to get it patched inside the tire for a total fix? Don't know, so fill me in.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #5
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Nice setup. I've used the plugs to fix tires when they are off the car but if you were out in "the wild" without access to a jack, would you be able to plug the tire with the wheel still on the car. For example, find the offender, roll the car until it is accessible and do it while laying between the bumper and the ground?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 12:30 PM   #6
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Plugs or patches alone are generally an OK fix, but most tire shops nowadays will do both plug plus patch, which IMHO, is a better permanent fix.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind32 View Post
Nice setup. I've used the plugs to fix tires when they are off the car but if you were out in "the wild" without access to a jack, would you be able to plug the tire with the wheel still on the car. For example, find the offender, roll the car until it is accessible and do it while laying between the bumper and the ground?
I've fixed all mine (and friends) just that way... You get a tad dirty but very doable. If it's the front tire you turn it out for access... the rear you just roll the car until you have access to it. These plugs have never failed me.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
Retrodog
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

I've used the plugs on my jeep twice and on my pickup truck once. They have continued to hold and work with no problems. I will continue to use them without a moments hesitation.
      03-19-2012, 11:01 AM   #9
Blind32
Certified Adrenaline Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbosock View Post
I've fixed all mine (and friends) just that way... You get a tad dirty but very doable. If it's the front tire you turn it out for access... the rear you just roll the car until you have access to it. These plugs have never failed me.
Awesome, I'll have to pick some up. I also like the tools you have, The handle is a T. Some of those kits just have a screwdriver type handle which makes it harder to use. Where did you pick those up?

Edit: Found some on amazon. Just ordered.

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-2040-A-T...2173141&sr=8-4
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 12:23 PM   #10
davesz4mc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 z4mc

I love my stock onboard compressor. I have used it alot and it works great, plus it is smaller than something like the above and has it own storage spot hidden away. For those of you that may not know if you have one it is mounted in a holder on top of the battery (at least in my z4mc).
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #11
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind32 View Post
Awesome, I'll have to pick some up. I also like the tools you have, The handle is a T. Some of those kits just have a screwdriver type handle which makes it harder to use. Where did you pick those up?

Edit: Found some on amazon. Just ordered.

http://www.amazon.com/Slime-2040-A-T...2173141&sr=8-4
Sweet find! I found mine in the dollar bin at Kragen's auto parts. A few months later I found a 12pack plug kit and big bottle of rubber cement for $1.99! The T handle makes it much easier compared to the screwdriver handle.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 06:35 PM   #12
gcochard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesz4mc View Post
I love my stock onboard compressor. I have used it alot and it works great, plus it is smaller than something like the above and has it own storage spot hidden away. For those of you that may not know if you have one it is mounted in a holder on top of the battery (at least in my z4mc).
It's on top of the battery in the m roadster too.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 12:22 AM   #13
Christopher11
Rep
Drives: bmw

HI dear i have one suggestion about flat tires You can take it with the wheel and get it mounted and balanced and then just take it home if that's what you want.