ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-27-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep
Drives: 2008 Space Gray Z4MC

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Let us all pray. She is at the dealer for a low mileage oil change

What could happen? What can happen? I told them no wash and to not reset my oil change indicator. Debated long and hard just to pony up $100 and change it myself but I had some other issues I wanted looked at(amp, stereo). Plus they will throw on some new wiper blades.

Hope my newly repainted front bumper makes it unscathed. What are the odds they overfill? Id say a 75% chance since they have before. Paranoid.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
BIMMERGUY91
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 335I M Sport

Haha my warranty runs out next month and I couldnt be happier.
2007 Z4MC #1019/1815 (Sold)
1997 M3 (Sold)
1991 325i
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
TexasZed4MC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Interlagos Z4 M Coupe

I know EXACTLY how you feel! It took 3 trip to the dealer to get the interior mirror replaced. Each time took almost 2 hours. Not sure what takes that long!. the first time i didn't check the odometer, the last 2 times I did, and I had to tell the each time 3 times DO NOT WASH THE CAR!

Lone Star Chapter BMWCCA HPDE Event Chair, Texas Trifecta Event Chair, & BMWCCA driving Instructor
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #4
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

With so many horror stories regarding dealerships mucking up a simple oil change, I have to ask, why would you let them do it? I refused to take my car in even when it was under warranty for any oil changes. I change all the fluids myself. It's extremely easy and gives you the peace of mind knowing it was done right.

Nonetheless, hope they don't screw anything up. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Whew. Got her back. All is well. Oil topped off nicely. No scratches and no wash. Also had a tech with 10+ years exp.
2008 Space Grey M Coupe-Euro headers-RPI Scoop-Gruppe M CAI-Eisenmann Race Cans-RE X-pipe-ECU Remap with O2 and EGT delete-H&R Sport springs-Zeck CDV delete-Stock Gloss black powder coated wheels-LED Tekarbon Angel Eyes Project-Michelin Super Sports-Hardwired Uniden R7-H&R front and rear spacers-Alarm module added-stereo amp recoded to vert spec settings
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
RADRACR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 Z4 M Coupé // '09 X5 d

Honestly, dropping the car off at the dealer feels exactly like dropping it off at [insert random, shady garage]. No confidence whatsoever. In fact, I expect them to either screw something up on the car or screw something up on the invoice and overcharge me.
'08 Z4 ///M Coupé (#1765/1815) — 1 of 68 Sepang Bronze / Black Nappa / Madeira Wood / 1 of 1 this combo
19" Advan RS / AP Racing / Bridgestone RE-11 / Autosolutions SSK / R.E. Diablo / R.E. trans mounts
'09 X5 35dSpace Grey / Saddle Brown
20" Forgestar F14 / SCR Delete
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
ricanbandit
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 30i

Mine is at the Dealer as we speak getting Inspection 1, I know exactly how you feel!
      03-27-2012, 01:00 PM   #8
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricanbandit View Post
Mine is at the Dealer as we speak getting Inspection 1, I know exactly how you feel!
Ohhhh. The dreaded valve adjustment. Make sure you get a worksheet and see that the proper parts were ordered. Valve gaskets and some o-rings. Dealers are notorious for skipping this all together.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Geebus you guys, I'm getting nervous just sitting reading this even though my car is safely tucked in the garage at home!

I hope this all pans out well.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
tekmoe
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M

If everyone would support their local indy shops in favor of the dealerships, maybe the dealerships would get the point and stop hiring a bunch of monkeys to work on our cars. Seriously, even for warranty related repairs, if it's not too much money and/or trouble, I'd much rather fix any issues on my own rather than letting someone else lay their hands on my most prized possession. They work on dozens of cars every day, do you really think they care about your car or anyone else's car for that matter? I'm not saying they are purposely going to screw anything up, that would be moronic. But they certainly are not going to treat your car the same way you would if you were working on it yourself.

Glad to hear you got your car back unscathed.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
esqu1re
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

OP, I know what you mean. They think they're doing you a favor giving you more oil, resetting your service, and washing your car!

I'm going slightly crazy always worrying about the car.

///M Coupe: RPI Scoop, OE Strut, CDV, Volk RE30, SS Brake Lines, Stromung Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 03:07 PM   #12
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Did you look at the wiper arms? When I had my blades changed under warranty, the monkey completely marred/chipped both wiper arms. They looked horrible. I them swap them out under warranty and will do my own changes from now on...
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 03:27 PM   #13
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Good points about dealerships, and their motivation. Tekmoe, I agree with about using a good indie shop or DIY. Most of the work on the car I do myself now--cheaper, fun, and less worry plus a good group that forms a huge knowledge base.

But for relatively expensive warranty or maintenance work, if I paid for it with the car, I want it done, and done right. I can do basic wrenching, but things like differential repair are beyond my skill set, and expensive. I those cases I want the warranty work done right.

I'll stand by my method of putting a few six packs in the trunk, along with a preemptive thank you note for the techs, as a good and cheap way to see the car gets special attention. (Unless, of course, the dealership is a total pit, in which case I'd never take the car there.)

I point out the beer to the SA upon arrival: "Those are for you and the techs...after the car is done of course!" You'd be amazed at the positive reaction. "But you don't have to do that", while smiling a mile wide. Me: "no, but you guys have a tough job, it's hard to tell people they need sometimes thousands in repairs, and I know how some 'BMW' owners can be. I know you guys do a good job, and I'm just recognizing that." Smile so big it almost cracked her face.

Results: I've had several warranty things done on my car (diff, axles, headlight--slightly after warranty was up) plus Inspections I and a few other things under warranty/plan on both cars. Had the shift knob and few other things replaced not because I asked but because they "noticed them and fixed them". Never had an issue with them washing or abusing the car. The techs have even come out from the garage when I pick up the car to thank me.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #14
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Did you look at the wiper arms? When I had my blades changed under warranty, the monkey completely marred/chipped both wiper arms. They looked horrible. I them swap them out under warranty and will do my own changes from now on...
I will check that when I get home for sure.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #15
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

I'm just glad I'm not the only Z4M owner with major, major OCD!

When I got my car back from Minny, I noticed it was overfilled by a bit, after a 1,000 mile journey home when I bought it. Thankfully it was just barely overfilled by about .25 of a quart. Nothing major.

Still, brought it to my indy and he said it was like a new car, no damage, etc. He just drained a little out.

Every little noise, clank, clunk, tick, etc. drives me NUTS! The S54 is much noisier than the S52 I used to have.

I thank God I have a trusted indy mechanic of almost 10 years on my side. I bring it in for oil changes and a safety inspection every year, I stop by now and then and have him listen and test drive it, and I ask him questions. He's great.

A good indy mechanic is the cure for Z4M OCD.

When I was getting my state inspection sticker, the guy stalled my car twice. I ran over and told him to get out and that I'd be pulling it into the bay, I don't care about company policy or not, he ain't touching my car. I stand in the service bay and watch them.

My indy mechanic is the ONLY person I trust to drive my car and take care of it. He is the ONLY person I know that will take care of it, not put any dings, will tell me the truth about what is needed and NOT needed, that the "ticking" noise or "clank" is normal and that he's not going to go drag racing it on a test drive.

Sure, it may take a little more time to get the car back and there isn't a waiting room that is modern with free treats and flat screen tv's. Actually, it's just 3 chairs.

But if you buy an M car for the waiting room at the dealership, then you bought an M car for all the wrong reasons. Save yourself the money and go to a day spa after you drop your car off at your indy.

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL INDY!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #16
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnegan View Post
Good points about dealerships, and their motivation. Tekmoe, I agree with about using a good indie shop or DIY. Most of the work on the car I do myself now--cheaper, fun, and less worry plus a good group that forms a huge knowledge base.

But for relatively expensive warranty or maintenance work, if I paid for it with the car, I want it done, and done right. I can do basic wrenching, but things like differential repair are beyond my skill set, and expensive. I those cases I want the warranty work done right.

I'll stand by my method of putting a few six packs in the trunk, along with a preemptive thank you note for the techs, as a good and cheap way to see the car gets special attention. (Unless, of course, the dealership is a total pit, in which case I'd never take the car there.)

I point out the beer to the SA upon arrival: "Those are for you and the techs...after the car is done of course!" You'd be amazed at the positive reaction. "But you don't have to do that", while smiling a mile wide. Me: "no, but you guys have a tough job, it's hard to tell people they need sometimes thousands in repairs, and I know how some 'BMW' owners can be. I know you guys do a good job, and I'm just recognizing that." Smile so big it almost cracked her face.

Results: I've had several warranty things done on my car (diff, axles, headlight--slightly after warranty was up) plus Inspections I and a few other things under warranty/plan on both cars. Had the shift knob and few other things replaced not because I asked but because they "noticed them and fixed them". Never had an issue with them washing or abusing the car. The techs have even come out from the garage when I pick up the car to thank me.
Dropping off a case of bud light tomorrow. Bet your life on it.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 05:55 PM   #17
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitch View Post
Whew. Got her back. All is well. Oil topped off nicely. No scratches and no wash. Also had a tech with 10+ years exp.
5W-30? just kidding...
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #18
mousitch
Dark Sider
Rep

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [7.50]
Not funny...

Was given the half bottle that was left over.... But could you imagine the horror? It would be brutal.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 06:15 PM   #19
gcochard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
It happened to the previous owner of my car...ask me how I know.
      03-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #20
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #21
gcochard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
if you want the proof... http://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost...88&postcount=6

Ok enough derailing this thread.

mousitch: bud light? Is that what the mechanics are drinking these days?
      03-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #22
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhopper View Post
if you want the proof... http://www.zpost.com/forums/showpost...88&postcount=6

Ok enough derailing this thread.

mousitch: bud light? Is that what the mechanics are drinking these days?
Yikes!

Anyways, I'm taking my car to BMW for an oil change next month, I don't have time to do it myself and the indy I have can't get the car on the lift...it's too low.

Anyways, I'm throwing a case in the trunk. It would be nice to know what they prefer
Appreciate 0