BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-03-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
Bavarian54bimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 2008 135i

Michelin PSS on OEM Rims , Worth it or not ??

Greetings!

As the title says it, am contemplating getting the now famous PSS for i can no longer stand the RFT's and i can no longer deny the Fact that they are an important Achilles Heel in our cars, hence BMW never dared putting these '' Stupid RFT's'' as Top Gear's Hammond said it ! on their High end M Cars.

Am sorry but my Old E46 on PS2 was feeling way better and the steering was more direct! hell now i feel like on driving on Shoes made of concrete and reading all the reviews on countless forums made me go for the PSS.

Now here is my dilemma, Should i go ahead and buy lighter rims to get the full experience or will the OEM Shoes do the job perfectly ??. am not willing to spend Mad $$$ on top end product like HRE though, i was interested in the Breyton GTS-R but the Cracking horror stories and that E90 who had the Wheel split in 2 at Highway speed make me very hesitant.

What's your take on this, guys??

Thanks

PS: Please Recommend Reliable Light Wheels if you have Great experience with them and no Crack Horror stories!
      04-03-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Save the OEM rims for winter tires and buy a larger set of new rims for the PSSs.
      04-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i M Sport 6MT

I'm in the exact same position as the OP. Same color cars inside out also...

getting rid of RFTs. Not sure if I want new rims, as there's just no perfect rims out there. Either it's funcitonal and it looks butt ugly, or it's functional, looks okay but stupid expensive, or it looks good but its ridiculously heavy....

And I track my car, so my search is limited to 18" wheels..... There's like, little to no rims that fits the 1er's with it's bastardized offsets...
      04-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

The tires are the main problem. I just mounted my Michs on my M-sport wheels. You will be soooo happy. No more hard ride... your tires will feel like they are made from rubber instead of concrete! No more hopping ,skipping and jumping - when you go over small bumps in the road! So many here have said this before... bt it is sooo true... they aren't run flats but run-craps. Just get new tires and you will be one happy camper.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
Bavarian54bimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
The tires are the main problem. I just mounted my Michs on my M-sport wheels. You will be soooo happy. No more hard ride... your tires will feel like they are made from rubber instead of concrete! No more hopping ,skipping and jumping - when you go over small bumps in the road! So many here have said this before... bt it is sooo true... they aren't run flats but run-craps. Just get new tires and you will be one happy camper.
I always value your opinion bro, am gonna go for them no doubt

Last edited by Bavarian54bimmer; 04-03-2012 at 08:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
Vegas|13Five
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09' AW 135i

Just put a set on my car; guaranteed you won't be disappointed!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #7
Bavarian54bimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas|13Five View Post
Just put a set on my car; guaranteed you won't be disappointed!
Thanks mate, do you have a spare in the back or a repair kit?
      04-03-2012, 08:27 PM   #8
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Are the PSS a good choice for a daily driver 128i? How are they in the rain compared to the factory Bridgestone RFTs?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #9
Bavarian54bimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Are the PSS a good choice for a daily driver 128i? How are they in the rain compared to the factory Bridgestone RFTs?
as per the reviews they are better in all conditions than the RFT's check Youtube video reviews or on tirerack
      04-03-2012, 09:10 PM   #10
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

Great tire in all conditions. If you're running a stock suspension, consider at a minimum swapping the 135i sway bar for an e93 M3 sway bar, pull the pins on the strut tower and try to max out your camber. This will help save the outer edge of the tire and improve turn in response. Be forewarned, these tires will expose some of the weakness in the stock suspension but will still be 100 times better than the RFTs.

To the OP, I've beat the piss out of a set of Breytons with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #11
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i M Sport 6MT

The PSS, or just any half decent non-RFTs is without saying heavens when compared to the stock RFTs... I guess the question the OP wanted to ask (or really, it's me that want to ask)... is whether the stock rim's are worth the PSSs...

Finding a good looking and functional set of rims is very challenging for the offsets of the 1.
      04-04-2012, 01:20 AM   #12
Bavarian54bimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscottiGelato View Post
The PSS, or just any half decent non-RFTs is without saying heavens when compared to the stock RFTs... I guess the question the OP wanted to ask (or really, it's me that want to ask)... is whether the stock rim's are worth the PSSs...

Finding a good looking and functional set of rims is very challenging for the offsets of the 1.
Thanks mate!

is the 420$ difference between let's say : Continental ExtremeContact DW and the PSS really worth it though or should i save these 420$ to rather buy the spare tire kit ??

Thank you
      04-04-2012, 01:21 AM   #13
Bavarian54bimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Farmer View Post
Great tire in all conditions. If you're running a stock suspension, consider at a minimum swapping the 135i sway bar for an e93 M3 sway bar, pull the pins on the strut tower and try to max out your camber. This will help save the outer edge of the tire and improve turn in response. Be forewarned, these tires will expose some of the weakness in the stock suspension but will still be 100 times better than the RFTs.

To the OP, I've beat the piss out of a set of Breytons with no issues.
Thank you sir

may i also ask if you have spare tire in the trunk or the repair kit? and why you went for the former?

Thanks
      04-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #14
FDM68
Captain
Wake Island
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i

Got my PSS's from tire rack two days ago, going on the stock rims and will be putting my conti tire repair kit in the trunk. Not even going to think twice about it. At first I wasn't too overly hateful of the RFT but now I can't wait to get them off...of course they have 13k on them and are at the wear bar so this of course has made them progressivly worse to ride on. I know up front thet the 225 fnts are 2lbs lighter than the 215 RFT's and that the 255 rear is about a 1lb less lass then 245 RFT's. Not major weight saving but Im sure the sure footness of the PSS's will make the hugest difference. I almost went for the Conti's DW's but have seen mixed reviews(some say too soft) and know without a doubt the PSS's are top notch. Another mixed factor is my suspension is different than 2010 and below and thwey ride allot differently.
      04-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #15
Bavarian54bimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Update!

Just placed on order for PSS on Tire rack and i ordered a Spare tire from Bavarian autosport. i'll run them on OEM rims for now! Hell with the RFT's

i'll just need to find away to secure the Spare tire when it comes here, probably will use some Bungee Elastic Ropes or Bike ropes ( if you have any trick please fill me on guys )

Salute you!
      04-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #16
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

I would also like to get a spare..Please post any info on the spare from Bavarian Autosport and can you get the spare in the USA. Thankx
      04-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #17
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZAGLO View Post
I would also like to get a spare..Please post any info on the spare from Bavarian Autosport and can you get the spare in the USA. Thankx

Take a look at the 2nd page, my post #27 (that is what I use for a spare tire)...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...ni+spare+alloy
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 02:28 PM   #18
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian54bimmer View Post
Update!

Just placed on order for PSS on Tire rack and i ordered a Spare tire from Bavarian autosport. i'll run them on OEM rims for now! Hell with the RFT's

i'll just need to find away to secure the Spare tire when it comes here, probably will use some Bungee Elastic Ropes or Bike ropes ( if you have any trick please fill me on guys )

Salute you!
You did the right thing - PSS + spare.

I'm running year-round PSS on stock wheels. If I lived in a cold-winter area I would consider an extra set of wheels to use for cold-weather or snow tires. I don't think you'll want PSS in cold weather.

I also ordered a kind of bag that the spare fits into and has straps that connect to the four connectors in our trunk. I put my jack and other tools in the bag as well. I'll search around to find where I ordered it from.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #19
Bavarian54bimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZAGLO View Post
Well yes the company is USA based and shipping is free in the us i think : http://bavauto.com/shop.asp
      04-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #20
Bavarian54bimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by singular View Post

I'm running year-round PSS on stock wheels. If I lived in a cold-winter area I would consider an extra set of wheels to use for cold-weather or snow tires. I don't think you'll want PSS in cold weather.

I also ordered a kind of bag that the spare fits into and has straps that connect to the four connectors in our trunk. I put my jack and other tools in the bag as well. I'll search around to find where I ordered it from.
i'll put my 17'' OEM tires ( E46 330i M pack wheels ) for the winter, they clear the front breaks and they'll feel better on Snow tires
      04-04-2012, 06:36 PM   #21
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by singular View Post

Here's what I got from Bavarian Autoworks:

M3 SPARE KIT $306.95
SPARE TIRE BAG $119.95

The bag is nice but kind of expensive. You could probably also get away with a couple of bungee cords.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #22
Vegas|13Five
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09' AW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian54bimmer View Post
Thanks mate, do you have a spare in the back or a repair kit?
No... I'm gonna pickup the same kit that came with my M3, or something similar.. Shouldn't cost more than a bill or so.
Appreciate 0