ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
Karacticus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si Coupe

What tool/fastener?

Did a transmission and diff oil change this weekend, which was easy enough once you get past the fact that there's no drain plug on the diff. That and I'm still trying to shake the odor of gear oil.

Was going to do the coolant too, but was defeated by the fasteners that hold the radiator cover in place.

The torx stuff I cold deal with, but the majority of the fasteners are something that a phillips screw driver doesn't really fit, but is still four drive lobes with something square in the middle-- almost like a four sided torx.

Any ideas?
      04-09-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
mhughett
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Hi Mike,

I had this cover off a month or two ago when I was looking at my PS hoses and replaced my engine mount bolts. I think that the fasteners that you described don't really hold the panel in place at all. They look like they might but they are not connected to the panel. IIRC, the panel was held in place by the plastic rivets that need to be levered out to be removed. It's certainly possible that they changed fasteners somewhere in the process too. I was going to try a coolant change too sometime in the next couple of weeks so if I find out something different I'll let you know.

Retired--2007 Z4 M Coupe (Imola Red/Black, Premium Pkg, Heated Seats, XM, Bimmian stubby antenna, CDV delete, Apex EC-7--Anthracite, Goodyear F1 Asymetric 2.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
Karacticus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hmm, the TIS says something to that effect as well. I'll give that a look.

Once I get past this, I'll have to figure out which hose I need to pull next to the pump (electric water pump on the 3.0si N52) as part of the draining process.

The TIS talks about opening plugs on the expansion tank and radiator and then pulling a hose next to the pump. The plugs are easy enough, but the picture in the TIS doesn't quite look like what I'm seeing and I've a choice of connections that I'm not sure how to disconnect or one with a hose clamp that's easy to access that looks like something I can deal with...
      04-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #4
Karacticus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

dolt slap...

yup, expander rivet thingies-- item 5
Attached Images

04-09-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
santov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 3.0si White over Beige

My 2007 3.0si rear diff has a drain plug. It's not directly under the fill, but it's there for sure. I changed mine at 24k and 42k. I'm going to go down to 15k since it came out pretty dark last time. Us non-M guys can use standard stuff. I went with full synth Mobil1.

I bought the Harbor Freight drain plug set and it hasn't failed me yet.

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-piec...set-94961.html

Some of those drain plugs you can just stick the end of your socket ratchet in and crank away, but I'd go with the proper fitting bit.

Search the DIY section for "Cooling System". I did a write up that included the TIS procedure for activating the electric water pump. On my phone, so can't easily browse/cut/paste.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
Karacticus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Definitely no drain plug in my diff-- TIS says some have it, some don't. I guess I wasn't lucky.
      04-09-2012, 05:31 PM   #7
gcochard
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karacticus View Post
dolt slap...

yup, expander rivet thingies-- item 5
They can break, and they are a dollar a piece. Maybe get a few extras.