BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
tjm129
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M(382/740)

Just got back today from doing the one day M school with the CCA on Saturday April 21. What a Blast!!! The day is honestly up there in my top ten list of amazing things I have done (with getting married, European Delivery, actually getting a 1M...). It was a large group, but hats off to the entire performance center team, they were top notch as usual and showed us an amazing time. We had a great group of people in our 4 cars, and if you have ever debated doing one of these events....DO IT! I even convinced my wife to attend with me, (actually I just told her we were going after I submitted the application and sent the money so there was no backing out, she had a blast!)

We started off the day in the M5 (E60 not the F10) on the skid pad for some instruction on doing power sliding. This car is a beast, just the slightest nudge of the throttle and the back end would come screaming out. This was my first time behind the wheel of an M5, and it definitely took some getting used to, and toward the end of the session I successfully achieved a few nice power slides, as did several others in the group.

Next it was behind the wheel of the beloved 1M for some lapping, we did a different course than we did during our performance delivery, but oddly it was the same course as we did 3 years ago during the delivery of our 135. It was a blast. I was the only one there that had a 1M, and everyone was going nuts afterward saying "I can't believe you have one of these". It was a huge hit with everyone, it is just so much fun to thrash around a small track like that.

Our next two exercises were completed in M3s, another lapping session on a different section of the track, and more skid pad work on a oval skid pad. Again, first time behind the wheel of an E90 M3, loved the car. The sound of that V8 is killer, and it was a blast to slide around the skid pad, much easier for a novice like me to drive and control than the M5.

This was all in the morning!!! After an amazing lunch we were back in the M5s for some lapping around the track, we basically did the course that they do during the hot lap after performance delivery. It was a lead follow exercise where we took turns following directly behind the instructor where we received coaching on braking, shifting, and the proper line. This was a blast, that M5 can move and I loved how it handled around a bigger course like that. It was a great progression too, as we were able to use some of the techniques we learned in the morning and put them all together, I did a nice power slide around the skid pad on a few laps, and actually felt in control.

Next up was our first competition: time trials in the M3s around the course we did in the morning. 1 practice lap and then the best out of 5 timed laps, I wish I could say that I did better than I did, but on 2 of the laps I posed great times in the 23s but just nudged out of the finish box, and had one flaw or another on the other 3 laps that put be out of the running. One of the guys in our group took home second place, he was amazing behind the wheel of his M3, and I didn't stand a chance. My wife also beat me with a clean 23:38, she looked awesome!

Our next session was by far my favorite, more lapping in the 1Ms on the newest part of the track at the back of the property, there was a huge sweeping uphill and a nice log strait. I was grinning like an idiot the whole time, and it was amazing. I felt the most comfortable in the 1M, and could consistently get the back end out to help me around the corners with MDM engaged, it easily handled the entire course in 3rd, and we had a nice long session behind the wheel. Not that I needed the any reassurance, but I'm very happy with my purchase of a 1M after the day.

Our last session of the day was another competition, a elimination head to head race on the oval skid pad, called the rat race in the M3s. I made it to the second round, but was nudged out by my aggressive accelerator foot, and some inexperience induced oversteer on the last lap. Had a blast though, my wife was also eliminated in the second round. Everyone was hoping to see us face off (I think she might have beat me at that too, she was definitely in her wheelhouse on the skid pad), but alas it was not meant to be.

We concluded the day with an extra long hot lap with Johan behind the wheel, I just never get tired of that ride, and it's just a bit more evidence how much potential the M5 has with a lot of skill behind the wheel.

TJ

Here are a few pictures from the day:
Attached Images

Last edited by tjm129; 04-23-2012 at 12:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
LOVEM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1m VO

nice.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

SWEET!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

cool
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #5
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
This is good news. I am signed up to go with a buddy to the 2-day M school in July. I can't wait...
      04-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #6
tjm129
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

After doing the 1 day I would seriously consider doing the two day. They are expected to have the F10 M5 in the next month or so. They said their fleet is currently on the boat and there are two manuals. They should be in service by the time you go in July.

TJ
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 09:35 PM   #7
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjm129 View Post
I was the only one there that had a 1M, and everyone was going nuts afterward saying "I can't believe you have one of these".
I have one too, it just wasn't there. I had the sweet GMC with the bike rack, lol.

The event really was a blast and I'm very glad I was able to coordinate that with my trip that I was on last minute. I'm looking forward to the next one. Also if you have info from some of the guys there taking pictures and videos could you PM their email or page if they have one? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #8
tjm129
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sorry I missed that, come to think of it I was in the front when he asked about 1Ms and didn't look around to see if anyone else in the room had one. I'm planning on going again if I can.

Sent you a PM

TJ
Appreciate 0