BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Pocketable programmable universal garage door opener?

Anyone have suggestions for a pocketable, programmable universal garage opener or one that is compatible with Overhead door units?

My GF has an assigned garage at her complex but they only give out one remote.

I would ideally like something that can go on the car key fob. Since I will have it with me, it would be also nice to have something that isn't a fugly block of plastic.

The Sommer units (pic below) looks sweet but I think they need to be paired with their openers. and this is not an option at her place.

for comparison, this is what her remote looks like:

Appreciate any suggestions.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Not the cheapest option, but you could always retrofit in an OEM BMW homelink mirror. Some have an integrated compass if that's something you're interested in as well.
      05-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider
Not the cheapest option, but you could always retrofit in an OEM BMW homelink mirror. Some have an integrated compass if that's something you're interested in as well.
Thanks.

Part of the problem is that the garage is not attached to her unit. We need to have the remote to open the door.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
Exite
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

I think what the other guy meant was you could hit up some junk yards and maybe get the mirror out of a car with the premium package. I would imagine any premium package rear view mirror from any bmw would work. My car has the premium package and the rearview mirror has 3 universal garage door opener buttons. It should work for the gates at apartments too. It clones the signal from the garage door opener.

Otherwise amazon is probably your best bet. Unfortunately Most universal openers I've seen don't look nice and sleek like the one you posted.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #5
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M & 1997 M3

I rigged a garage door opener for my E36 M3 by taking the functional part (the circuit board) out of the unit that came with the door, stuffing it up under the dash with velcro and wiring it to a Radio Shack button that I installed in one of the blank spots for a switch on the dash. Works like a charm.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #6
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the advice guys, but I don't think I was clear in my earlier post.

There are two problems:

1. There is only one remote, so we have to keep switching between ourselves.

2. The garage is a standalone structure with no access door except the main garage door. So, once the cars are parked, to get back inside, you need the remote.

Installing a homelink mirror would solve problem #1 but not #2 and I'm really not that keen on modding the car unnecessarily. A small, remote I can keep on my keyfob would be the ideal solution to both problems.

Appreciate 0