BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-31-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
Dirk Van Driver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: VO1MC

How many UK 1m owners have a front number plate plinth fitted ?

After seeing the perfectly cleaned car in the "Black beauty" thread I thought :

Guys, where's your dignity ?

Number plate "manacled" directly onto your front bumper with a pair of nasty screws ?

Go for the smooth, tailored look . . . . .

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Series 1 m coupe

I also agree about not screwing the plate into that lovely bumper and have used tape strips to fasten it. I do like the plate holder you have painted where did you buy that from?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 02:57 PM   #3
Dirk Van Driver
Private First Class
Rep

J, it's a long story as to why I needed the plinth ! !

But I took a walk around my local BMW dealers forecourt to see what might or might not fit. The closest profile to the 1Ms front bumper was the E60 5 series with M Tec bodykit.

I think (and I do stress the think) the part number is this :

25 Licence plate base primed M 51117897271 $36.15

If you want a definitive answer, bear with me a couple of days and I'll dig out the invoice and confirm the part number is the correct one.
It cost about £40 IIRC (plus painting) You'll need the correct fitting screws of which there were four if not five.
They are however the proper plastic fixing items and will mean that the plinth won't come off (the downside being that you'll be drilling four of five holes in the bumper which once the screws have done their job will leave "outdentations" on the face of the bumper, obviously you cant see them with the plinth in situ, but once removed it won't be a pretty sight I'd wager)

The end result is far more pleasing than the usual dealer "bodge" of fitting the front plate with screws in the top LH and RH corners.

Apologies for the poor picture, the car's in the garage and I didn't have time to shift the other cars to get the 1M outside.

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
Jezzer
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Series 1 m coupe

Understand fixing it with screws to hold it on properly is the best way, but I'm not screwing into my bumper. Do you think this would stay on with strong adhesive tape? Wouldn't mind that part number if you could look it up please.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
Dirk Van Driver
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezzer View Post
Understand fixing it with screws to hold it on properly is the best way, but I'm not screwing into my bumper. Do you think this would stay on with strong adhesive tape? Wouldn't mind that part number if you could look it up please.
Honestly J ? no I don't think the profile is close enough to that of the 1Ms to affix it with tape (also not convinced the plinth has sufficient surface area to enable you to even try)

I know I felt I had to use all four (or five) securing screws to make it look as if the profiles matched.
As for using screws in the first place. Due to a b*lls up by the dealer when they supplied the car new last year (not to me, to the previous owner) I had to fit a plinth . . .

Let me know if you want the part number all the same ?
Appreciate 0