BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-15-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
xHoon
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i

Does getting a LSD fix loss traction problem?

I feel like I need a LSD on my 135i! when i put my foot down on either 1st or 2nd gear, the car lose traction but feel like only 1 wheel is spinning. And the car loose balance.
      07-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
kmli5
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHoon View Post
I feel like I need a LSD on my 135i! when i put my foot down on either 1st or 2nd gear, the car lose traction but feel like only 1 wheel is spinning. And the car loose balance.
Stock open diff will keep spinning the wheel with least traction.

Yes to your question. Gets power to the ground big time even with my 130i that has less power & torque than 135i. You really feel the LSD working especially when accelerating hard out of corners.
      07-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

LSD is not going to stop the tires from spinning, you need better tyres for that. It allows you to put power down to both wheels. The nannies don't interfere as much but I still recommend turning them off at least half way.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

I don't think that's the 'car losing balance' rather your tyres aren't up to the job of putting the power to the ground, and your car is starting to fishtail. Modulate your throttle to suit and it should be fine. Our eLSDs are quite good at putting the power down in a straight line.

LSD will certainly reduce the difference in speed between the two rear wheels but if your tyres and driving at the problem, it'll tend to fishtail even more since now both tyres are losing traction at around the same speeds.

LSD is much more useful in getting power down when your car is coming out of corners, where the weight transfer tends to spin the inside wheel. A mechanical LSD will help distribute the power more evenly when there are differing amounts of traction between the wheels.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #5
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
Our eLSDs are quite good at putting the power down in a straight line.

Too many people on here have apparently never driven a RWD car with an actual open diff before....
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
A LsD will help you with your traction issues but some good wide tires may remedy most of your traction issues for much less.

Are you on stock run flats?

My car tuned with run flats had traction issues, I went ER wide body and got some nice tires all around, most of the traction issues were remedied, then the LSD pretty much eliminated it. I can still spin wheels but the car does so without pulling to the side. It feels much safer.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

My thoughts:

Grip
+ 1 to BMW86. LSD doesn't stop the wheels from spinning. It provides both wheels with torque which is a double edged sword in that - both wheels get traction. Both wheels can lose traction.

Acceleration
What can happen is that instead of just one wheel spinning and the e-LSD doing it's thing, it's possible to just sit there bogging down with wheelspin.

This was none more than evident at my recent visit to the drags:

Best Quarter mile times:
Before LSD: 12.79
After LSD: 12.85

Conditions were very similar, if not slightly in favour of 'before LSD'

The first run after I had the LSD installed saw a 13.1 and a bad 60ft. This was because I was thinking I'd have heaps of grip and I could launch the same way as I did previously (a bit of brake boost, feed it in gradually in gear 1 and then mash it gear 2 onwards).
This method with the Quaife showed a lot of wheelspin and a slow time, so obviously I had to learn a new launch method.
After practicing a bit I saw a 12.85, but there's definitely more improvement to be had.

Handling
MASSIVE increase. Way less wheelspin coming out of corners.
Can provide a full review after next week's visit to Wakefield.
The car just wants to get sideways now.... quite fun and very predictable. Really lets you appreciate the BMW's chassis balance.

Burnouts/drifting/skidpans etc
Not possible before (or very hard)
Definitely possible with LSD
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

That's strange cos the elsd brakes the car, to get traction, where you should be able to get to the same level of acceleration without the braking
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 11:07 PM   #9
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
The e-diff is more for addressing safety than performance/handling
in 4WD parlance it is called a poor mans locker.....The poor chap who cant afford a Detroit Locker modulates the hand brake in mud or loose dirt/sand in order to transfer power to the wheel with more grip.
      07-16-2012, 12:19 AM   #10
kmli5
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Today was the first time I took my car out for a blast at the mountains (black spur) after I got LSD. It was wet and rainy, but man the LSD works a treat. It really improves your exit speed out of corner. Definitely worth it if you do some spirited driving.
      07-16-2012, 12:49 AM   #11
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

You will need to up your car control skills with a LSD. Sure there will be more traction but the point at which you lose traction will be higher than before and it will be both rear wheels spinning, so steering input, road camber, surface grip, etc is magnified. There have been times when having the inside wheel spin up ( without LSD that is ) tells me that I'm going fast enough.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 01:44 AM   #12
xHoon
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeef Beef View Post
I don't think that's the 'car losing balance' rather your tyres aren't up to the job of putting the power to the ground, and your car is starting to fishtail. Modulate your throttle to suit and it should be fine. Our eLSDs are quite good at putting the power down in a straight line.

LSD will certainly reduce the difference in speed between the two rear wheels but if your tyres and driving at the problem, it'll tend to fishtail even more since now both tyres are losing traction at around the same speeds.

LSD is much more useful in getting power down when your car is coming out of corners, where the weight transfer tends to spin the inside wheel. A mechanical LSD will help distribute the power more evenly when there are differing amounts of traction between the wheels.
Dont think the tyre is the problem, the 255 michelin pss is not too bad doing the job when the car was stock. But after the dp and jb4 it's hard to get the power down.
      07-16-2012, 02:12 AM   #13
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz
You will need to up your car control skills with a LSD. Sure there will be more traction but the point at which you lose traction will be higher than before and it will be both rear wheels spinning, so steering input, road camber, surface grip, etc is magnified. There have been times when having the inside wheel spin up ( without LSD that is ) tells me that I'm going fast enough.
And a big thing with an lsd is learning that sometimes a bit of gas around a bend can have a little more traction than none, since that's when the lsd is working its magic
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 02:30 AM   #14
Jeef Beef
Lord Captain Commander
Australia
Rep
Drives: a sleeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHoon View Post
Dont think the tyre is the problem, the 255 michelin pss is not too bad doing the job when the car was stock. But after the dp and jb4 it's hard to get the power down.
Don't go full throttle without modulating your input.

E82 135i M-sport: SGM/6MT/Black
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 02:32 AM   #15
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

LSD good for circuit racing, not much difference for drag racing. No difference for street use.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 02:37 AM   #16
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
And a big thing with an lsd is learning that sometimes a bit of gas around a bend can have a little more traction than none, since that's when the lsd is working its magic
Sure, I agree ... kind of. My point is that when you lose traction through wheelspin with a LSD both wheels are spinning compared to one spinning and the other slipping via the diff' without 100% drive. I would rather have more drive but if my skills aren't up to it I won't be ready for full loss of traction. You tube is full of people spearing off the road due to loss of control during burnouts with a locking diff' . Far less likely with a one wheel burnout. Not as satisfying, but safer.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 03:32 AM   #17
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde
LSD good for circuit racing, not much difference for drag racing. No difference for street use.
How come not drag racing? I mean, the e-lsd in my 130i sucks ass, is it good in the 135's? I mean, WAY better? Losing power off the line (an possibly upshifts) is losing power no?

Also, i find lsd's loss of traction on both wheels much safer than randomly 1 wheel, far greater control
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 03:47 AM   #18
Gumball
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: A45

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
Yep except for one thing - bumpy back roads the traction light does not come on nearly as much as before.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 05:04 AM   #19
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
Do you only sit in traffic jams on the street? haha
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 06:16 AM   #20
MMorbo
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i, 08', Sedona Red

I am in a similar position so this thread is good.

was considering a LSD rather then upgrading the RFT's... (specially given the price of a set of Michelin PSS's)

So have we established unless you are tracking your car not to worry?
      07-16-2012, 06:21 AM   #21
_Ryan_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E87 130i

Garage List
2005 BMW 130i  [5.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ryan_ View Post
Do you only sit in traffic jams on the street? haha
You not going to notice an LSD on the street.... I fitted one in my 135i. Good difference on the track and skid pan, but not on spirited street driving really.
I have done LSDs on street cars before, I notice the difference...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 06:58 AM   #22
kmli5
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMorbo View Post
I am in a similar position so this thread is good.

was considering a LSD rather then upgrading the RFT's... (specially given the price of a set of Michelin PSS's)

So have we established unless you are tracking your car not to worry?
If you enjoy driving, like to drive fast through the mountain and sick of the DTC cutting power all the time. Then get a LSD. However, the price of installing LSD on a 135i can be significantly more expensive than the same thing on a 130i.