BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-18-2012, 02:10 AM   #1
Drifty//
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: A4 quattro 3.2 MT6; E92 6MT

First HPDE: Squealing noise in turns during last run

On my last run, I had forgotten to disable traction control until about 2 laps in. Around that time (maybe after another lap?) I started hearing a whining noise in the corners. At first, I wasn't sure if it was coming from my car, but it did seem to be coming from the rear. I wasn't on the brakes during at least most of the time I heard it.

Since I started to hear it more and more, I got concerned and pitted in. That was my last session for the day.

Is it possible that traction control overheated the rear (stock) pads and I was getting some dragging, even when I was no longer on the brakes?

I also wonder if it could have been the rear diff, since it was always in the turns.

I have not heard any strange noises since that time, and there's plenty of material left on my pads.
      07-18-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

I had some squealing noise during my 2nd session at NJMP Lightning this event and had to pit in. There was a loud noise coming from the rear..I assumed that my brake pads were toast

Having jacked up the car..turns out it was the heat shield behind the rotor bending into it. We used a screw driver and pushed it away from the rotor and voila...problem solved.

Wonder if you have the same issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifty// View Post
On my last run, I had forgotten to disable traction control until about 2 laps in. Around that time (maybe after another lap?) I started hearing a whining noise in the corners. At first, I wasn't sure if it was coming from my car, but it did seem to be coming from the rear. I wasn't on the brakes during at least most of the time I heard it.

Since I started to hear it more and more, I got concerned and pitted in. That was my last session for the day.

Is it possible that traction control overheated the rear (stock) pads and I was getting some dragging, even when I was no longer on the brakes?

I also wonder if it could have been the rear diff, since it was always in the turns.

I have not heard any strange noises since that time, and there's plenty of material left on my pads.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

It is possilble to get the rear calipers very hot in MDM mode (my car) under certain circumstances such as a long fast turn. I could hear one of them wailing (PFC-01) through one particular corner above the wind and engine noise. Both sides got hot enough to bake the paint off the caliper near where the antisqueek spring attaches. Pads were fine though.

Stock pads are normally very quiet but perhaps they were dragging from getting hot.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
arter
collecting toys
Rep
Drives: M3 MCB

While in MDM mode the inside rear brake is often being braked by the car in many turns. It is tried to help you.... whether you want it or not.
Appreciate 0