BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #1
wibbit
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i

Unhappy Fault on new 135i unrepairable

So, not long after I picked up my brand new 135i, I noticed an issue. Small, but annoying, it was a small squeaking sound that seemed to be emanating from just behind my right ear, somewhere near the top of the B pillar. It happens consistently on initial acceleration (ie from 0-20km/h)

I took it back to the dealer, who after a quick inspection promptly informed me that it is not uncommon and that I should have the car back by day's end.

4 weeks later, BMW (the dealer, Australia head office, and global HQ) inform me that the noise is likely to be caused by chassis flex and friction between metal panels around the B pillar structure. This was found after apparent major efforts to rectify the issue; including pulling almost every nearby component out; including trim, seating, restraints and windows.

BMW accepted that the issue has not and cannot be resolved in any reasonable timeframe. Consequently, I asked for a replacement car, to which the dealer agreed (in principle). Luckily, the dealer holds an almost identical AW coral red 135i on the floor (except with more options). I suggested that we could work something out for the showroom 135i, again, to which the dealer agreed in principle.

After another 2 weeks, BMW continues to struggle internally to decide to what degree should I be compensated for a new replacement vehicle. Specifically, they seem reluctant to reimburse any tax component that I paid with the purchase price - which would leave me many tens of thousands of dollars out of the pocket.

The matter remains unresolved and ongoing. In total 6 weeks and counting. I have just about had enough with BMW... And although I really hope that it will work out in the end, I will now review options for civil action should I receive a non acceptable outcome.

I thought I would share this story with the community and wish that it never happens to anyone else. My confidence in BMW has been severely dented, which is a real shame given what a great car the 135i is.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

The noise made me think of this post (2nd paragraph)
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=208

And check out this saga for a guy with a bad engine with less than 100 miles:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=554085

Brand new 135i, bad engine and it went back and forth between him, dealership and BMW and he didn't get a replacement until almost 2 months later. (But in his case it was much quicker to diagnose the problem immediately, in your case it took 4 weeks).

Regardless, I'm sure this is incredibly frustrating and I'm sure it would sour anyone on BMW going through these types of ordeals. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Sorry to hear, tell them you are amazed that with the high tech manufacturing process and focus on quality control that something as basic as this could get through, "I wonder if aca would be interested in running a story on it". Never know you could be driving out in a 1m.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
RadiuM
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i, 97 GTR VSpec

Hmmm I use to have a little squeek behind the drivers seat too and I found it to be the colored leather insert above the rear passengers arm rest. I pushed it in harder and separated the colored leather from the black and fixed it. That was when it was new

Just this week I took the car out and have noticed this squeek you mentioned right behind my ear at the b pillar. Never heard it before and it was annoying. So I just went faster . The car just hit 70kkms
      07-31-2012, 02:37 AM   #5
SFYP
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hi wibbit, Thanks for sharing your story. Any updates on your faulty car? I am in similar situation - problems with locking/unlocking the boot of my nearly new Series 3 BMW and the dealer cannot find where the problem is. Very disappointing.... : (
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 05:35 AM   #6
wibbit
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i

Thanks guys.

Week 7: I got some feedback today and it seems head office are willing to do a swap deal for a minimum (less than $1000) gap. If so, I will have reason to be forgiving of BMW with the additional options: sunroof, sat nav, HK, mirror pack.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 06:38 AM   #7
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbit View Post
Thanks guys.

Week 7: I got some feedback today and it seems head office are willing to do a swap deal for a minimum (less than $1000) gap. If so, I will have reason to be forgiving of BMW with the additional options: sunroof, sat nav, HK, mirror pack.
Well done.. Great that its working out in your favour after this long wait.
Appreciate 0