ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

Your trusted opinion please...

After months of searching the country specifically for a manual, sport option red Z4 3.0si convertible. And losing out on a few good ones. I am considering a car across the country from me and working through an Auto Broker. The problem is, the CARFAX shows a rear accident reported. The dealer (who of course wants to sell the car) says the owner describes it as a minor accident. No further details. Owner is not available for further info. The auto broker hired a third party inspection which came back - "paint shows no over spray or tape edges, color is uniform on all panels. Tires show even wear. Suspension, Ride, Steering, Performance, and Alignment all get green lights and comment is - Overall this is a very nice car". - There is nothing in the report specifically about signs of damage to the frame.
My question is, since I cannot drive this car myself, without buying it and shipping it, does it sound like too much of a gamble to you? Would I be better off giving up on a color I want and taking one of the thousands of silver's with a clean Carfax. Or, should I make a low ball offer because this car has built in attrition? This car has been on AutoTrader for a couple months so they may be willing to move it. Then again is that a bad sign as well.
What do you, of the esteemed Z4 forum think?
      07-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

The question is what lurks behind the nice bumper repair job. I'd be real leery of a seller selected "third party" that declares all is well. All indeed may be well, but the idea behind getting a PPI is to have a PPI that is working solely on your behalf. Maybe I'm too jaded and suspicious (probably not).

Where is the car you want to purchase located? If you post that up, maybe one of us can look at it and/or recommend a good independent party to do a PPI (at your expense). Perhaps the third party that looked at it can be trusted, but we need more info (and local knowledge) to make that call.

This might be a good deal, and the right car, but I'd want to know more before making a decision.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Where is the car located? Maybe one of us lives close by, could check the car out and give you an unbiased opinion?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
I wouldn't touch it. While there's no guarantees that a car with nothing recorded accident-wise actually hasn't been hit, you can be sure that one that HAS obviously been hit - has been hit. No thanks. Plenty of unmolested cars out there, if you're willing to wait to find the "right" car that is also free of damage repair. I especially wouldn't want any non-factory paint on my "new" car, if I'm spending in this price range. Good luck!
      07-31-2012, 12:29 AM   #5
WAMz4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4 3.0si Roady

It's at 44 Auto Mart in Bardstown KY. Id settle for a local opinion on the dealership themselves without someone checking out the car. I guess I'm just getting tired of waiting. I have been looking for a RED one since December. (There have been hundreds of Black and Silver in that time.) That's half a freakin year! C'mon 3.0si drivers, GIVE UP YOUR RIDES! At this point I can take a color I want and settle for a damaged car, or go with a clean car in a color I don't want. Probably best to be good than to look good.
      07-31-2012, 11:22 PM   #6
E85 Sport
who is this noob
Rep
Drives: from Spartanburg

Run away from a car that's been hit. You never know what headaches lurk beneath the surface.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #7
rkstar9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 X5 3.5D

my z4 had rear damage on the carfax. the woman who owned it said it was someone backing out of a mcdonalds graced it.

The woman who sold it was 65 so I didn't think shed lie to me. Also I drove the car and there were no issues that I could feel.

It could just have been minor bumper blemish. I would have someone drive it either way.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
BruceJ
6 of Diamonds (ret)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is

Keep looking, Hellrot is awesome! This ones all mine
Name:  red Rondels.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  223.4 KB
2011 E93 335is - current fav