BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-01-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
Guran
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 135i Coupe

So long and thanks for all the fish

A couple weeks ago I traded in my 135i and bought an MY09 MX-5 roadster coupe. Quite relieved to be rid of a car that I haven't particularly enjoyed for most of the time I've had it. And I'm absolutely loving the NC2. If anyone wants to stay in contact, please send an email via the forum.

Out_with_the_old_and_in_with_the_new by Guran5, on Flickr
      08-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

definitely a very different car! why didn't you enjoy the 1er?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guran View Post
A couple weeks ago I traded in my 135i and bought an MY09 MX-5 roadster coupe. Quite relieved to be rid of a car that I haven't particularly enjoyed for most of the time I've had it. And I'm absolutely loving the NC2. If anyone wants to stay in contact, please send an email via the forum.
Congrats Bryan and enjoy the new car..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 11:30 PM   #4
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Wow didn't realise you still have the 1er! Hope you find more love in the MX :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 12:23 AM   #5
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

MX-5 is one of the all time greats. People don't realise what a wonderful driving experience they are. Enjoy your new car.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 12:48 AM   #6
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Congrats on the new car. Have to admit these new Mx-5's are a real head turner, I think they look fantastic, plus we all know how well they drive. Curious as to how much heavier it is than the previous gen because it looks a lot more solid and slightly grown up. Any particular reason why you chose this over the RWD BRZ/GT86?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 06:23 AM   #7
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Any particular reason why you chose this over the RWD BRZ/GT86?
Not many cars where you can rest your elbow on the transmission tunnel and change gears with a flick of your wrist, plus wind in the hair ( or toupe / blue rinse given the average age of MX-5 owners ), telepathic steering, handling that's adjustable to subtle input at sane speeds, a seating position that is pure roadster etc etc.

Sorry, I know Guran can answer for himself but I am such a fan of these cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 06:31 AM   #8
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
Not many cars where you can rest your elbow on the transmission tunnel and change gears with a flick of your wrist, plus wind in the hair ( or toupe / blue rinse given the average age of MX-5 owners ), telepathic steering, handling that's adjustable to subtle input at sane speeds, a seating position that is pure roadster etc etc.

I understand exactly where you're comign from, most MX5 owners express the same feelings. The 86/BRZ dimensions are very similar to that of the Porsche's though, apparently very low to the ground, low roofline etc. I thought it would be comparable. Not taking anything away from the MX5 though as it's a fantastic car. Was just looking for a comparison as to how it stacks up.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 07:08 AM   #9
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86
Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post

I understand exactly where you're comign from, most MX5 owners express the same feelings. The 86/BRZ dimensions are very similar to that of the Porsche's though, apparently very low to the ground, low roofline etc. I thought it would be comparable. Not taking anything away from the MX5 though as it's a fantastic car. Was just looking for a comparison as to how it stacks up.
If you look at the comparo picture thats floating around, the gt86 is BARELY bigger than an mx5

But with rear seats and a bigger boot (and according to youtube, somewhat faster)
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 07:16 AM   #10
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep

MX-5 is very little to do with practicality and everything to do with Jinba ittai.
Appreciate 0