BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
fly_inverted
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i Coupe. Mar 2012

My PPK saga

2 months ago today, i officially took delivery of my brand new 135i. The PPK stage 1 was purchased as part of the contract. Since then, the car has spent 10 days (not consecutively thank god) in BMW workshops trying to get it to work.
The first 4 days resulted in the realisation a new DME (from Germany) had to go in. The next 6 days saw the new DME go in but discovered the licence key for the PPK had 'expired' but was still connected to my VIN number so a new licence key could not be simply put in. It would appear that BMW Germany has to somehow un-expire my original licence key.
And so now we wait. So far its been 3 days.
I must say the dealership has been pretty good about it as they seem to be almost as powerless as i am in this. I've so far enjoyed the courtesy car roundabout of a 118d, a truley awful mini countryman diesel, and currently a rather respectable 318d sport. Next week, i'll see if i can negotiate one of their floorstock 1Ms, :-)
This is the first weekend i've been without my pride and joy and i'm missing it mightily.
Anyway, just thought i'd share with you all the story and i'll let you know how it goes
cheers
Mark.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_inverted View Post
2 months ago today, i officially took delivery of my brand new 135i. The PPK stage 1 was purchased as part of the contract. Since then, the car has spent 10 days (not consecutively thank god) in BMW workshops trying to get it to work.
The first 4 days resulted in the realisation a new DME (from Germany) had to go in. The next 6 days saw the new DME go in but discovered the licence key for the PPK had 'expired' but was still connected to my VIN number so a new licence key could not be simply put in. It would appear that BMW Germany has to somehow un-expire my original licence key.
And so now we wait. So far its been 3 days.
I must say the dealership has been pretty good about it as they seem to be almost as powerless as i am in this. I've so far enjoyed the courtesy car roundabout of a 118d, a truley awful mini countryman diesel, and currently a rather respectable 318d sport. Next week, i'll see if i can negotiate one of their floorstock 1Ms, :-)
This is the first weekend i've been without my pride and joy and i'm missing it mightily.
Anyway, just thought i'd share with you all the story and i'll let you know how it goes
cheers
Mark.
Sad to hear the dramas Mark, you do the right thing and buy a BM PPK, in lieu of an aftermarket job and this is how BMW manages it. Hmmmm a bit amateur really.

Good luck with "one of their floorstock 1M's" they don't exist in Canberra, trust me . One of the guys on the forum, Nelix IIRC, is to pick his up soon and if there is one there it may be his (assuming he is buying out of Canberra I guess). I will have a look this AM, going down there to have a drive of a 328i, for fun.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
1_dez
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1er

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineM3E92 View Post
Sad to hear the dramas Mark, you do the right thing and buy a BM PPK, in lieu of an aftermarket job and this is how BMW manages it. Hmmmm a bit amateur really.

Good luck with "one of their floorstock 1M's" they don't exist in Canberra, trust me . One of the guys on the forum, Nelix IIRC, is to pick his up soon and if there is one there it may be his (assuming he is buying out of Canberra I guess). I will have a look this AM, going down there to have a drive of a 328i, for fun.
there is two VO 1M's on the floor.. i drive past every day =)
i guess it cant hurt to ask!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2012, 12:51 AM   #4
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_dez View Post
there is two VO 1M's on the floor.. i drive past every day =)
i guess it cant hurt to ask!

They, like the other one in the storage yard, are all sold, a long time ago, So is Jillian's Pure Ed II M3.

Saw your car in the workshop (I assume) sad to see it there and not out driving. Hope it is sorted for you soon!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 03:34 AM   #5
fly_inverted
Private First Class
Rep

quick update. got the car back today. the performance tune is finally in.
next step, sheer driving pleasure
:-)
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 03:59 AM   #6
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
quick update. got the car back today. the performance tune is finally in.
next step, sheer driving pleasure
:-)
Spotted you late this mornig on Gundaroo Road, car looked great
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 06:33 AM   #7
100thirtyfiveinjection
Private
Rep
Drives: Jeep Wrangler

Good to hear it got sorted mate! Shame it took so long though..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 08:00 AM   #8
Otaku
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Lemon Chicken

I was trying up avoid writing about this but I had a similar problem earlier this year, and I really thought they would gotten this sorted by now.

First ppk wouldn't load, then it wouldn't unlock, then the DME was incorrect for the tune.

Then it got better, BMW hadn't written the DME for the N55 MY2012 yet, so I had to wait for Germany to write it, as apparently mine was the first to get done this year, so I was told. My car ended up stuck in the workshop hooked up to a computer for over a month, completely undriveable... I was slightly angry...

Two aussie ppk stories now, and for me, never again, it's not worth the cluster...

Glad to hear you got through it mate...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku
I was trying up avoid writing about this but I had a similar problem earlier this year, and I really thought they would gotten this sorted by now.

First ppk wouldn't load, then it wouldn't unlock, then the DME was incorrect for the tune.

Then it got better, BMW hadn't written the DME for the N55 MY2012 yet, so I had to wait for Germany to write it, as apparently mine was the first to get done this year, so I was told. My car ended up stuck in the workshop hooked up to a computer for over a month, completely undriveable... I was slightly angry...

Two aussie ppk stories now, and for me, never again, it's not worth the cluster...

Glad to hear you got through it mate...
A month

Sorry to hear, they'd want to have given you something nice to drive!
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 02:21 AM   #10
fly_inverted
Private First Class
Rep

Just reactivating this old thread as some of you will know after Saturdays Advan Dyno day it was clear my PPK was missing in action. The Dyno result was only 179kw, compared to Johns almost identical car which returned 211kw.

Tomorrow, my car once again heads into the dealership for exploratory surgery. Maybe the PPK has simply fallen between the cushions of the seat. Mixed in with those missing 5centpieces.

I can hardly wait.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 02:25 AM   #11
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Good luck convincing the stealers..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 02:35 AM   #12
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 6MT 135i

These two accounts are a friggin nightmare, I'm having PPK loaded on my new MY13 baby next week. BMW better have their shit together
      03-18-2013, 05:27 AM   #13
cat-like
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW 135i

I intend to get the PPK shortly after I pick my baby up in May, I hope there are no issues like this!

Has anyone here had it installed by Auto Classic in Perth?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 06:01 AM   #14
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

IMHO the PPK is a waste of money. I'm all for keeping warranty but the PPK tune is so mild that it doesnt make any gains in the real world. The gains seem so minimal I would be hardpressed to notice the difference.

I'd rather save the money and drive a stock n54 or put it towards maintainence or some other mod eg. Spoiler or tyres.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 06:10 AM   #15
UR25IO
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M-SPORT DCT

Quote:
Just reactivating this old thread as some of you will know after Saturdays Advan Dyno day it was clear my PPK was missing in action. The Dyno result was only 179kw, compared to Johns almost identical car which returned 211kw.

Tomorrow, my car once again heads into the dealership for exploratory surgery. Maybe the PPK has simply fallen between the cushions of the seat. Mixed in with those missing 5centpieces.

I can hardly wait.
I had smilar issue with my 2011 135i N55 but the DME was up dated and when I had the PPK stage 1 that all went smoothy and recieved the car back same day,
I did have the car pre dyno, bone stock 179.5kw to PPk 196.1kw

Took the car in for a service a few mothes back and made a point my car was surging forward aggressively while on the brakes.. the dealer re-flashed, but was unable to complete it due to some stupid reason that the ecu wont accept the flash, from the help of BMW Germany ... 6-8 weeks.. missing out on my Shannon Snowy mountain 1000 event I finally recieved my car back with a masive sctrach on the boot..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 12:48 AM   #16
fly_inverted
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UR25IO View Post
I had smilar issue with my 2011 135i N55 but the DME was up dated and when I had the PPK stage 1 that all went smoothy and recieved the car back same day,
I did have the car pre dyno, bone stock 179.5kw to PPk 196.1kw

Took the car in for a service a few mothes back and made a point my car was surging forward aggressively while on the brakes.. the dealer re-flashed, but was unable to complete it due to some stupid reason that the ecu wont accept the flash, from the help of BMW Germany ... 6-8 weeks.. missing out on my Shannon Snowy mountain 1000 event I finally recieved my car back with a masive sctrach on the boot..
how long after you had the PPK installed did you dyno it (196.1kw) ?
i understand they take some time to adjust to your driving.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 01:02 AM   #17
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep

What did the dealer have to say about the "stock" numbers?
      03-19-2013, 03:28 AM   #18
fly_inverted
Private First Class
Rep

the dealer plugged it into the computer and found the 'code' for the PPK was displaying. so the car thinks its installed.

so we've now moved onto the next step.

they've packaged up all the data and the dyno results i provided and sent it all off to BMW Germany as a service problem for them to have a look at. they are hoping for an answer within 5 days. service manager at dealership has been really good, no issues what-so-ever.

my view is that with the number of failed attempts to load the PPK, that maybe the last attempt actually succeeded in setting the code but didn't actually load the software. i think next week it'll probably be a 'unload PPK then load a new PPK' exercise after BMW HQ has a chance to look at it.

will keep u posted.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 03:33 AM   #19
Alpine*
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
the dealer plugged it into the computer and found the 'code' for the PPK was displaying. so the car thinks its installed.

so we've now moved onto the next step.

they've packaged up all the data and the dyno results i provided and sent it all off to BMW Germany as a service problem for them to have a look at. they are hoping for an answer within 5 days. service manager at dealership has been really good, no issues what-so-ever.

my view is that with the number of failed attempts to load the PPK, that maybe the last attempt actually succeeded in setting the code but didn't actually load the software. i think next week it'll probably be a 'unload PPK then load a new PPK' exercise after BMW HQ has a chance to look at it.

will keep u posted.
Good stuff! I have found Rolfe to be good and Patrick, the Dealer Principal, is a good bloke too.

You have some good times ahead, noting that you definitely haven't had the tune and you will have it sooner rather than later and will notice the extra 30 odd kws for sure. Keep us posted
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 04:09 AM   #20
05C4R
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

the krauts should compensate you for the dyno costs and other related costs which should.... add up to about the cost of the PPK
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 04:15 AM   #21
TS135i
piggy in the mirror
Australia
Rep

Quote:

will keep u posted.
Sounds likely, in any case I'd say they will reload PPK from start to finish before too long.
      03-19-2013, 04:22 AM   #22
UR25IO
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M-SPORT DCT

Quote:
how long after you had the PPK installed did you dyno it (196.1kw) ?
i understand they take some time to adjust to your driving.
I think maybe about 2 months after i had it installed
Appreciate 0