BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
SoCal for the week.

I am going to be in socal til the end of the week, would like to meet up and see any sick roads y'all may know about (I'll be around Irvine and Capistrano, most likely.)

What up, SoCal?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
Ortega Highway, Laguna Canyon road (133 from freeway), PCH. Have fun Northerner.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #3
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
You should buy my rims while you are down here! j/k.

Most of us are a bit north of Irvine in LA but as Infinitekid recommended those are good routes.

Here is more info on some of the best Cali roads:

Angeles Crest Highway – a two-lane (one lane of travel in each direction) segment of California State Route 2 in the United States. The road is 66 miles (106 km) in length, with its western terminus at the intersection at Foothill Boulevard in La Cañada Flintridge and its eastern terminus at State Route 138 northeast of Wrightwood. The majority of the route passes through the mountainous terrain located north of the Los Angeles basin. Its alignment passes through the Angeles National Forest in the San Gabriel Mountains. Segments of the road reach altitudes above 7,000 feet (2,100 m), with a summit of 7,903 feet (2,409 m) at the Dawson Saddle, which makes this road one of the highest in Southern California.

C/D: ..a writhing, mountainous, 66-mile facsimile of the Nürburgring..

Forbes: ..much of it is a two-lane road on which motorcycle and sports car drivers love to speed.. (“America’s Scariest Highways”)

Mulholland Drive – a road in Los Angeles, California, United States, named after engineer William Mulholland. The mostly two-lane, minor arterial road loosely follows the ridgeline of the Santa Monica Mountains and the Hollywood Hills, connecting two sections of U.S. Route 101, and crossing Sepulveda Boulevard, Beverly Glen Boulevard, Coldwater Canyon, Laurel Canyon Boulevard, Nichols Canyon and Outpost. It offers views of both the Los Angeles basin and the San Fernando Valley.

Read.

Watch.

Ortega Highway (California SR 74) – rare straight sections.. one of the best driving roads in Southern California.. snakelike undulating curves and bends..

SSL: …a road of two halves; one green and lush, full of sweepers and 60 MPH constant radius turns, and the other a rapid ascent up a canyon and down a mountainside into the high deserts of Riverside County surrounded by scrub brush and tight blind corners…

Little Tujunga Canyon Road (Los Angeles County Foothills) – Little Tujunga introduces itself with a sign- Curves 18 Miles. Then a few gentle weaves offer up the hors d’oeuvres for the first 5 miles riding toward the range. Elevation here is about 1100 feet (at the 210 Feeway) and will climb to about 2700 feet at the summits…

17-Mile Drive – a scenic road through Pacific Grove and Pebble Beach, California, United States, much of which hugs the Pacific coastline and passes famous golf courses and mansions. It also serves as the main road through the gated community of Pebble Beach. Like the community, the majority of 17-Mile Drive is owned and operated by the Pebble Beach Corporation. The 17-Mile Drive is 9.6 miles long, between the entrances at US-1 and Sunset Drive.

Laureles Grade – [also known as] County Route G20… is a steep, winding road running 6 miles (10 km) to connect Carmel Valley with State Route 68 halfway between Monterey and Salinas [California].

Carmel Valley Road – The 50-mile drive from the oceanside hamlet of Carmel-by-the-Sea [California] to the agricultural valley of Greenfield is one of the most challenging driving roads you’ll find in this great land of ours. Essentially a livestock path that cuts over the mountain range separating coast from inland, the barely-two-lane asphalt of Carmel Valley Road clings to the rocky topography for dear life. In several places, the lane narrows to a single car’s width with almost no warning, and iron cattle grates pop up mid-apex in a few corners, just to keep things interesting.

Stewarts Point-Skaggs Spring Rd. from Stewarts Point, CA to Warm Springs Dam, CA – known as the Holy Grail of California motorcyle roads…

Pacific Coast Highway – legendary, but the road between Monterey and Santa Monica is perhaps its definitive stretch. For the drive south, you’ll have the Pacific Ocean outside your right window for almost the entire drive…

1 North from Cambria to Monterey, a.k.a. the Big Sur Coast Highway, has got to be one of the best driving roads in the world, both in terms of scenery and degree of difficulty. This ridiculous ribbon of tarmac snakes along the rim of the Pacific Ocean for miles and miles, 63 of which are particularly glorious…

Watch.

Trinity Highway (Highway 299) – [Northern California,] 100+/- miles (total) of second and third gear turns through the mountains while tracing the path of the Trinity River some four hundred feet down beside you. Steep grades straight into hairpin turns sweeping upwards to the right or left and then a quarter-mile of straight tarmac into more sweeping lefts and rights, back up another part of the mountains and on it goes. Anybody with the chance to drive this road should jump at it. Nothing to regret… Some of the best roads the country has to offer.

California State Route 25 (Highway 25) – one of California’s poster-child motorcycle roads… There are some very long straights on the northern portion so if you’re expecting an adrenalized canyon ride, this isn’t one of them. Just cruise along and enjoy the long straights that stretch off to the distant ridgeline, the twisties will come soon enough…

Peter Schwarzenbauer (President, Porsche Cars North America): includes a wide variety of corners, from slow hairpins to fast sweepers, a smooth road surface and scarce traffic. The perfect sports car road.

Sonora Pass (California State Route 108 from Sonora to Junction US 395) – the climb to Sonora pass is unbelieveable…twisties like you wouldn’t believe, but be careful, there are no warning signs and the road is hard to read… As soon as you get east of Oakdale, the terrain gets interesting. 108 is full of sweepers and hairpin turns. The road is smooth asphalt and generally clean. As you climb in elevation, the temperature drops and the views are unbelievable…

California State Route 33 (Highway 33 from Ventucopa to Ojai) – …a driver’s paradise. It’s a road lacking in everything you hate if you like enjoying fast cars. Highway 33 has no traffic, no driveways, no law enforcement, and often no guardrails… What it does have is curves. Lots of them.

http://motoringconbrio.com/great-driving-roads/
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #4
John Dempsey
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: White 135i M-Sport

Im close to irvine hit me up we will meet up
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #5
Top Gon
Bashar
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I am going to be in socal til the end of the week, would like to meet up and see any sick roads y'all may know about (I'll be around Irvine and Capistrano, most likely.)

What up, SoCal?
I'm also gonna be in SoCal this weekend. (Thursday-Sunday).

I'm gonna be flying then renting a car there.

Thinking of taking the little "corolla or similar" on Mulholand Drive. lol
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
JefryHorizon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bus Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basheezy View Post
I'm also gonna be in SoCal this weekend. (Thursday-Sunday).

I'm gonna be flying then renting a car there.

Thinking of taking the little "corolla or similar" on Mulholand Drive. lol
You should bring your 269s along!!

Just got done with a run on Little Tujunga Canyons, there's a beautiful section of corkscrews you can't miss, the view is epic. I like going down hill more than up so I usually take the 14 north, get off at sand canyon rd then head south. Only down-side is that there's no AT&T coverage at higher altitudes, but who cares...
E82 x1 Sold
E60 x1 Furniture...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 10:39 PM   #7
Top Gon
Bashar
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JefryHorizon View Post
You should bring your 269s along!!

Just got done with a run on Little Tujunga Canyons, there's a beautiful section of corkscrews you can't miss, the view is epic. I like going down hill more than up so I usually take the 14 north, get off at sand canyon rd then head south. Only down-side is that there's no AT&T coverage at higher altitudes, but who cares...
the 264s*? yeah I'm sure they'll qualify as a carry-on. haha

That road does look epic, but it's far north of LA. I'm gonna be stayin in OC. driving up to downtown LA and universal city for a day or 2.

and Verizon ftw!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 01:14 AM   #8
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
mulholland it is! those rims never got sold? dang! well maybe we can come to an agreement while I am here. who knows. pm me and I'll shoot you my number.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #9
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
(tongue-in-cheek) I saw an ///M 135i !! Two cute girls in it too! Right by Mulholland! Anyone know?

If I can grab the pic from my GoPro, I'll add it to this thread.

Mulholland is short and maybe not worth the 1 hour drive, the view in the middle at the top is breathtaking though!
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #10
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dempsey
didn't see your post til just now. where would you like to meet up?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
John Dempsey
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: White 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
didn't see your post til just now. where would you like to meet up?
well im in san diego. Just give me a call 760 two zero seven 6084
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #12
ChristianReyess
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dempsey View Post
Me too I'm in Mission Viejo! ... yeah that’s about it... just wanted to state I exist...

But Ortega highway is the best way to go. And at 1am, no traffic no cops.. Best.

if you get stuck behind a car it becomes the most boring and frustrating drive ever.

It’s about a 20 min drive one way (spirited driving) or about 50-hour drive behind a van -___-
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 10:15 PM   #13
J Lau
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46, E82 ,E89, G30

GMR is fun!!!!
      08-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #14
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lau View Post
GMR is fun!!!!
GMR is fun. VERY twisty compared to Angeles Crest.
      09-10-2012, 05:08 AM   #15
eazyefromli
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i Coupe

I'm new to SoCal, what/where is GMR? I do most of my driving on Angeles Crest/Upper Big Tujunga/Angeles Forest/Little Tujunga Canyon, but I'd like to find some new roads.
Appreciate 0