BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-27-2012, 07:52 AM   #1
Wrniknbl
It's just not cricket
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i N55

The Definitive Guide to M3 upgrades

I would like to create a list/thread to help those that have started mods and looking for that next 'must have' and for those that are starting out and looking at parting ways with their hard earned for the first time.

After driving my M sport N55 135i around a track then jumping into an M3 the next day I was absolutely impressed with the M3's handling and therefore believe that any M3 bolt on is a must in my books.

Handling
Front End
M3 Front Sway
M3 Control Arm Kit

Rear End
M3 Subframe Bushings
M3 Rear Sway
M3 Rear Guide Rod Kit
M3 Rear Upper Link Kit

Have I missed any M3 upgrades that bolt on to the 135i with M sport suspension?

I'm not talking about ripping entire subframes out and replacing it with an M3 one - more bolt on M3 parts that improve overall handling.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

You will also need new (AHL)headlight links for the new control arms.

M3 tie rods (complete)
M3(1M) steering rack (less turns lock to lock)
M3 strut tower brace

Maybe new strut bearings? I bet the M3 units are beefier.

Ditch the run flats and get some PSS or PS3's tires.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #3
Giveway74
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 130i and MK7 Golf GTI PP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post

Would this affect the stability control ?
Depending on where the sensor is, it could think you have added less lock than you really have and think your over steering.

However i do like the idea for track in particular and will investigate if it fits my 130i
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Good idea...

I'd love to contribute to this thread. BMR sells all the required parts for the M3 upgrades both front and rear (not listed on the website just yet unfortunately) but I'll get onto it ASAP and post back here with some 'packages' containing everything you need, bushings, brackets etc.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

all the major vendors have the "M" upgrade kits you can buy in stages or the whole kit. reminds me I need to tighten up my rear, its a bit flabby
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
You will also need new (AHL)headlight links for the new control arms.

M3 tie rods (complete)
M3 strut tower brace

Maybe new strut bearings? I bet the M3 units are beefier.

Ditch the run flats and get some PSS or PS3's tires.
Is the m3 strut brace worth it over the normal types? It's so much more expensive..

Also, rear subframe bushings (and all others) there are similarly priced/cheaper options than m3 that can be even better for performance (i'm a huge urethane fan personally)
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

http://hpashop.com/BMW-E8X-E9X-to-M3...conversion.htm

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 09:14 PM   #8
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flinchy View Post
Is the m3 strut brace worth it over the normal types? It's so much more expensive..
make sure you get the rignt one for a 1er!! AFAIK the M3 one is the only one that is a 3 point brace all the others I have seen are 2 point.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #9
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335
Quote:
make sure you get the rignt one for a 1er!! AFAIK the M3 one is the only one that is a 3 point brace all the others I have seen are 2 point.
pavo you referring to the one specific to our 1ers right? Hpauto sells one for the 1er specifically - on the link mrblonde posted, the drop down menu for the strut brace has two options. I wonder why only hpauto sell 2 different types? I don't see tischer or anyone else selling 2 different types :
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 09:34 PM   #10
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkatron View Post
pavo you referring to the one specific to our 1ers right? Hpauto sells one for the 1er specifically - on the link mrblonde posted, the drop down menu for the strut brace has two options. I wonder why only hpauto sell 2 different types? I don't see tischer or anyone else selling 2 different types :
Yep, the m3 one will not fit a 1er, afaik the one on hpa has a different centre piece that is specific for the 1er and will fit (well i would trust harold if he says it fits) as for tischer, there fools
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 09:35 PM   #11
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Is there a true 3 point available? The only m3 ones i've seen are an open 'V' shape rather than a closed triangle

Ed: i have read about the changed mounting piece yeah
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #12
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335
Quote:
Yep, the m3 one will not fit a 1er, afaik the one on hpa has a different centre piece that is specific for the 1er and will fit (well i would trust harold if he says it fits) as for tischer, there fools
So.... does it follow then that anyone who upgrades the strut brace for their 1er must buy from hpa? Or at least modify it if bought anywhere else?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 05:11 PM   #13
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

i have a question that may as well go in this thread as well:

rear camber links

so googling/the suspension subforum basically says that to run this you need M3 type shocks... is there further parts/modifications other than this item that would actually be needed to it M3 suspension components (front especially), is the upper strut mount different for example?

considering that M3 coilovers (at least in the brands i'm looking at) don't have a price difference over non-M, if it's that simple, may as well get it done before i get coilovers in the first place lol
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #14
pavo335
Banned
Rep

Quote:
i have a question that may as well go in this thread as well:

rear camber links

so googling/the suspension subforum basically says that to run this you need M3 type shocks... is there further parts/modifications other than this item that would actually be needed to it M3 suspension components (front especially), is the upper strut mount different for example?

considering that M3 coilovers (at least in the brands i'm looking at) don't have a price difference over non-M, if it's that simple, may as well get it done before i get coilovers in the first place lol
You'll need someone far smarter than I to comment on the first bit but my only suggestion would to do it all at once if you can. The reason I say this is I have the M3 front components along with V2's all round and WHOA baby you really notice the arse end wiggle all over the place, its not a nice feeling to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #15
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
You'll need someone far smarter than I to comment on the first bit but my only suggestion would to do it all at once if you can. The reason I say this is I have the M3 front components along with V2's all round and WHOA baby you really notice the arse end wiggle all over the place, its not a nice feeling to say the least.
that's my thought exactly, spent the last week planning front conversion + rear subframe bushings and non-m coilovers

now it's popped up about if you do certain parts, non-m struts won't fit - i'm happy that i can still go out and get the front stuff, but if non-m coilovers will no longer bolt up, i'd like to find out it actual m-stuff will. would be pretty painless then lol, rather than get normal coilovers now and want to finish it all off later for much more $$$
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #16
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
that's my thought exactly, spent the last week planning front conversion + rear subframe bushings and non-m coilovers

now it's popped up about if you do certain parts, non-m struts won't fit - i'm happy that i can still go out and get the front stuff, but if non-m coilovers will no longer bolt up, i'd like to find out it actual m-stuff will. would be pretty painless then lol, rather than get normal coilovers now and want to finish it all off later for much more $$$
You'e planning to do all these suspension mods to a 130?

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 10:51 PM   #17
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

Quote:
So.... does it follow then that anyone who upgrades the strut brace for their 1er must buy from hpa? Or at least modify it if bought anywhere else?
Just the centre bit that's different. I have a part number somewhere...

I believe Justin @ Advan was the first to discover this as he attempted to fit a 3-series set on.

There's a 1series specific and a 3series specific.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #18
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

: I was going to say something too flinchy but I figured you know what you're doing
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #19
flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
You'e planning to do all these suspension mods to a 130?
can't see why not? $1000~~ worth of parts (plus the coilovers themselves and an alignment),

what's the issue? lol

no different to you guys doing it to 135's

Ed: fwiw, i have a family member moving to the uk for 2.5 years soon who's bringing me a car back (how nice right) - so i have no real desire to change to a (much more expensive) 135i when this is an amazing daily (and handy for work) - just want more funsies
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 05:22 AM   #20
Wrniknbl
It's just not cricket
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
Good idea...

I'd love to contribute to this thread. BMR sells all the required parts for the M3 upgrades both front and rear (not listed on the website just yet unfortunately) but I'll get onto it ASAP and post back here with some 'packages' containing everything you need, bushings, brackets etc.
Hey BMR am looking at pulling the trigger on the rear end upgrade - front is already installed and now really need to balance the car out before hitting the track again.

PM me if you prefer.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2012, 06:46 AM   #21
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmroxm5 View Post
Good idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrniknbl View Post
Hey BMR am looking at pulling the trigger on the rear end upgrade - front is already installed and now really need to balance the car out before hitting the track again.

PM me if you prefer.
I'm keen too BMR. I did the front end a couple of years ago & I'm keen to do the rear soon. If you can get close to the prices I can get o/s I'd rather buy local.
      08-30-2012, 11:04 PM   #22
Wrniknbl
It's just not cricket
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
I'm keen too BMR. I did the front end a couple of years ago & I'm keen to do the rear soon. If you can get close to the prices I can get o/s I'd rather buy local.
"Group Buy"
Appreciate 0