BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
mephistel
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d coupe

Controlling iPhone Music via Vehicle Controls

Hi Folks,

I need some help. I've looked through various threads without finding a definitive answer on this, so would like to ask the question my self.

Last week I bought a 2010 BMW 120d coupe (E82). It has everything I want on a car, apart from the apparent lack of iDrive and USB connection.

I want to be able to control my iPhone music via steering wheel controls. I have Bluetooth which only seems to be able make and receive calls, and I have an auxiliary input which supports audio only without any control ability. If I press the audio button on the steering wheel I only get 3 options: Radio, CD, Auxiliary

I also have the phone slot in the arm rest which I need to buy the iPhone inlet for, so I have a few questions:

1) If I buy the iPhone inlet, will I be able to control songs on the steering. My understanding is that I won't because I haven't got USB and this would purely charge the iPhone and that's it

2) Is there anyway to get A2DP enabled over bluetooth to give me this mobile streaming capability? Is there a simple option to enable it, or is there a installation or hack that can enable it?

3) Is it possible to get BMW to install the USB slot for a reasonable price?

I guess what I'm looking for any solution which will allow me to control my iPhone over steering wheel controls, I want to avoid any retrofitting options using non-BMW parts, however I will consider this if the above 3 options fail.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
random1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 120d

I just bought a 2008 120d that has the same set-up as you, I have an AUX connection but no USB. From what I've seen on the BMW forums you can not control your iPhone via the stereo controls unless you have the USB connection (and I'd love to be proved wrong).

I too am interested to see if I can get BMW to upgrade me to USB or if I can upgrade it myself by buying the right parts i.e. USB connector to head unit and/or new BMW head unit that supports the USB input. BTW the iPhone inlet not only charges your phone, it is also connect your phone to the car's antenna so that you get a more powerful signal. The price I saw for inlet adapter for the iPhone was £80.
Appreciate 0