BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
OAM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sitting

Charge Pipe Sound Generator

So I broke my second stock charge pipe last week. I had the car at the dealer for a replacement and when I got my car back I heard the familiar *POP pulling out of the dealer driveway! I made a u turn and brought the car back. I looked at the charge pipe and everything seemed to be fine, but upon closer inspection I found a rubber pipe, that looks like it's coming off the side of the charge pipe, had blown off, it was only secured by a ring clamp. They took it to the back and put it back on for me and said they had replaced that rubber pipe and the new one had some lubricant on it, which caused it to pop off. It was pouring rain that day so I didn't have a chance to really look at it till I got home in my garage and it looks like it's slipping off again, it actually looks pinched by the ring clamp. You can see this in the attached picture, the blue arrow is the charge pipe and the red is the rubber pipe I'm talking about. I took a look on real OEM and it looks like this part is called the Sound Generator. Now I'm looking to get an aftermarket charge pipe, since I'm tired of going to the dealer every 3 months. However I don't see an outlet for this part on any of the aftermarket pipes. Am I missing something? Is this part not needed? What does it actually do?

Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

The OEM CP and that sound generator is removed when an aftermarket CP is installed. I highly recommend the ER pipe.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #3
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuned1M View Post
The OEM CP and that sound generator is removed when an aftermarket CP is installed. I highly recommend the ER pipe.
Excuse the noob question but wtf is the purpose of this "sound generator"? I mean... are they serious? lol
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
OAM
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99 View Post
Excuse the noob question but wtf is the purpose of this "sound generator"? I mean... are they serious? lol
I was wondering that myself. Does it really just generate....... sound?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
I didn't realize the N54 had this, but if it is indeed a sound pipe it's supposed to transmit engine sound to the cabin. The Scion FRS/Subie BRZ engine has a sound pipe as well.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #6
1'M Blue
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: 1M

Yea i'de recomend an ER Charge pipe
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #7
schnite
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E82 1M

ERcharge pipe?how much ? i want to buy
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 06:20 AM   #8
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

I have a slightly used one with tial bov that I will sell at a great price. All parts are black and it has a single bunge option as well. Original box and instructions included. No parts missing! Pm me if you're interested. I'm at the track until Sunday night but I can email a pic I took last week.
      09-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #9
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Why are you selling Dan? Are you going back to OEM?

EDIT: I forgot about the situation with your car Dan so disregard.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #10
Chachirims
Rated ///M for Mature
Peru
Rep
Drives: 2012 Alpine White

I installed my charge pipe last weekend and can immediately feel the difference in throttle response. Install was very easy and I found a post with step by step instructions with pics on the 335 forum

Here is the link to the ER charge pipe site:
http://www.evolutionracewerks.com/node/53

Here is an explanation from ER about that so called "sound generator"

"* On the factory diverter valve chargepipe features a sound baffle for the diverter valves.* This sound baffle is connected on the side of the factory diverter valve* charge pipe which splits airflow.* This causes turbulence inside the pipe which slows the charge intake air velocity (speed of the air traveling inside the pipe).* By removing this turbulence (by eliminating the factory diverter valve sound baffle), increased throttle response, decrease turbo lag and ultimately higher maximum power potential can be realized.* Our Diverter Valve* Charge Pipe eliminates this sound baffle and thus eliminating the unneccesary turbulence in the diverter valve pipe, keeping charge intake air velocity at it's maximum.* "
Appreciate 0