BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-10-2012, 12:46 AM   #1
gtappers
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Question OT: The best drive + food combos in your area?

Hi folks..

I've been thoroughly enjoying some weekend drives around the Sydney area, and if there's a stop-off or destination that involves an A+ bite to eat then all the better!

Anyone want to shout out for a top feed combined with a top drive? I'm sure there's some more obvious ones, but who knows what hidden gem you lot may have.

I'll kick off with two suggestions for those around Sydney that I've enjoyed:

Bells Line of Rd, Bilpin - Pie In The Sky Roadhouse.
I've tried the chunky steak pie, minced meat pie and their apple pies and they're all absolutely sensational. I reckon the chunky steak is my personal favourite. It's bloody cold up in the hills in the mornings lately though, so a nice hot pie is just right for a warm up and stomach recharge.

Broke Rd, Broke Petrol Station cafe
Real mixed business with a mixed patronage, but I used to stop here regularly when driving to/from the Hunter for work and their hamburgers and chips were always nice. Bloody slow, but nice! The outdoor seating is nice enough to watch cars and people go by. This low-speed stretch of township road is a favourite for the police watching those misbehaving, so do mind yourself and others.

Send over your suggestions!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtappers View Post
Bells Line of Rd, Bilpin - Pie In The Sky Roadhouse.
Well I'll be damned!

I was unaware that there was a PITS other than on the "old Highway" to the north.

Clearly, I need to get out more.....
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
Giveway74
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 130i and MK7 Golf GTI PP

On another forum we used to do

Sydney -> Wisemans ferry -> wollombi (sometimes pub for lunch) -> Hunter Valley (Harrigans pub) -> Putty rd -> Syd.

Is a long day and we usually met up early around 7am and i was not getting back till 5pm

You can start later and skip wisemans and do OldPac to Wollombi.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #4
gtappers
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Is Wiseman's Ferry Rd worth it? I keep wanting to add WF into my weekend runs, but it adds such a big chunk of time to the loops I've planned so far that I keep skipping it.

If it's worth the effort then I'll stick around for a lunch at their pub, which is meant to be pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtappers View Post
Is Wiseman's Ferry Rd worth it? I keep wanting to add WF into my weekend runs, but it adds such a big chunk of time to the loops I've planned so far that I keep skipping it.

If it's worth the effort then I'll stick around for a lunch at their pub, which is meant to be pretty good.
You can do a loop in either direction, but going counter-clockwise, it takes in the "Old Highway", up to Peats Ridge & Central mangrove. Left onto Wisemans Ferry Rd, down to Spencer, along the river to the ferry. Cross on the ferry - Lunch at the pub. then back via old Northern Rd thru Dural and West Pennant Hills. Or via Galston Gorge to Hornsby, if you want some tight twisty bits.

It's a good run, but not as long as Wollombi.

The road from Central Mangrove to Spencer can be tricky (especially on a bike) because of the road surface, and shady / mossy patches. But if you're alert and carful, not too bad.
Appreciate 0