BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-15-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

New york Los Angeles stays?

I know that a lot of you travel so I'm picking brains for my first trip to the US of A.

Where's the best place to stay in New York and Los Angeles? I've heard that the Hollywood area is pretty shitty but most of the things we want to do are around the Northern L.A area. Upper West side / Times square seems to be the place in NY?

Re accomodation - travelling with my adult kids, ( probably for the last time together because it's time for them to start paying for their own bloody stuff ), so I need an apartment or 2 bedroom suite. If anyone knows of somewhere to stay let me know.

We will also be in Las Vegas, San Francisco and Carmel.

Hoping to pick up a bit of historic automobilia while I'm there.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 05:54 PM   #2
BBK
Banned
Rep
Drives: A boring one...

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [5.76]
Budget?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
COZ01M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

We just got back from Vegas & LA. We stayed at the Bellagio in Vegas, which cost $150 per night for 5 nights. Great spot with bus stops at the door & awesome water fountain.
In LA we stayed at the Beverly Hilton, $170 per night for 4 nights good location as it is in nicer area of California & easy access to buses to go to Hollywood, Venice beach etc. the tour company's take care of you for the amusement parks etc. just ask the concierge.
It was just my wife & I traveling.
Hope the info helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

I've always stayed with friends in both places however for in NY I would definitely find accomodation outside Times Square and walk in. A few minutes either way will give you much better places for much cheaper.

I'll find out if there are any places my friends can recommend.
      09-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBK View Post
Budget?
I'm open minded at this stage however it looks as though I will have to allow for around $800 per night for a suite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COZ01M View Post
We just got back from Vegas & LA. We stayed at the Bellagio in Vegas, which cost $150 per night for 5 nights. Great spot with bus stops at the door & awesome water fountain.
In LA we stayed at the Beverly Hilton, $170 per night for 4 nights good location as it is in nicer area of California & easy access to buses to go to Hollywood, Venice beach etc. the tour company's take care of you for the amusement parks etc. just ask the concierge.
It was just my wife & I traveling.
Hope the info helps.
Thanks for that - I think we will be staying at the Jockey club in Vegas. Beverley Hilton sounds good but we like to get suites or apartments with in room cooking when we travel. You get more space and the facilities to make your own meal. Restauarant meals get to me after a while. Especially in Europe where they can be very hit and miss. I expect more consistency in the U.S, i.e. consistently enormous. I've lost nine kilos this year so far and I don't want to put it back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
I've always stayed with friends in both places however for in NY I would definitely find accomodation outside Times Square and walk in. A few minutes either way will give you much better places for much cheaper.

I'll find out if there are any places my friends can recommend.
I hear you re walk to Times Square due to the crowds and noise. The expense isn't really a problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #6
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
I'm open minded at this stage however it looks as though I will have to allow for around $800 per night for a suite.

Thanks for that - I think we will be staying at the Jockey club in Vegas. Beverley Hilton sounds good but we like to get suites or apartments with in room cooking when we travel. You get more space and the facilities to make your own meal. Restauarant meals get to me after a while. Especially in Europe where they can be very hit and miss. I expect more consistency in the U.S, i.e. consistently enormous. I've lost nine kilos this year so far and I don't want to put it back on.

I hear you re walk to Times Square due to the crowds and noise. The expense isn't really a problem.
I agree with the suites and apartments - always nicer especially for longer stays.

There are a lot of short-term rentals in the Manhattan - do maybe search for one of those. I'm a fan of the SoHo and TriBeCa areas for relaxing/lounging - which is mostly what I do on holidays!
      09-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
I agree with the suites and apartments - always nicer especially for longer stays.

There are a lot of short-term rentals in the Manhattan - do maybe search for one of those. I'm a fan of the SoHo and TriBeCa areas for relaxing/lounging - which is mostly what I do on holidays!
Agree with the suites.. we have stayed the last 2 years at Central Park Apartments 240 West 73rd Street, Manhattan .. Cnr of Broadway and 73rd Street..

Not the flashiest of places, but clean and modern.

Plenty of quality shops and dining in the area.

2/3 bedrooms with heaps of room.. Very central and close to all amenities.
2 minute walk to the 72 street subway, 3 stops to Time Square.

Also..My wife just got back from Vegas and stayed at the Aria... If you like latest in high tech mod cons and bling, this is the place..

Last edited by Zuzu; 09-15-2012 at 11:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #8
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

I've not stayed in New York but I tend to browse http://slh.com for that something different.

I've stayed at The Huntington in San Francisco, great area.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 12:46 AM   #9
lexem
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I've been to Vegas a few times and stayed at Bellagio, MGM, Venetian, Aria, Mirage...the one I enjoyed most was Mandarin Oriental and Wynn
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #10
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep

Thanks guys, plenty to work with there.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 01:38 AM   #11
bmw1mc
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M Coupe

Vegas probably best to stay at the Aria or the Cosmopolitan as they are the newest and will have all the latest in room tech like Joe said. I just got back but this time stayed at the Venetian which has the better night spots/pool parties, plus copped a free upgrade for one of their large suites......Encore is also very cool hotel.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 01:42 AM   #12
Doing it for TV!
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

*MUST* Do this in Vegas:

http://www.exoticsracing.com/

Try to get the Aventador, but as of end of last week it was in for repairs/servicing, Superleggera and 458 are weapons and worth it too.
2015 M3 - Alpine White, HUD, Ext Leather
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 04:48 AM   #13
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555 View Post
*MUST* Do this in Vegas:

http://www.exoticsracing.com/

Try to get the Aventador, but as of end of last week it was in for repairs/servicing, Superleggera and 458 are weapons and worth it too.
That does look tempting. It would have to be the McLaren. May not ever see one of those let alone drive one.

Wish there was a similar experience for classic racers. Never happen because the damned things break so easily and cost a friggin fortune to repair. Can't get parts so everything has to be fabricated. But I digress.

Booked one hotel in upper East side and one near Times square. Both worked out to over $1200 per night. A bit more than I had anticipated.

Probably booking Four Seasons in SanFrancisco.

In L.A. have booked a place close to Hollywood and Vine. Has a 2 bed / 2 bath suite with experiential design influence by Phillipe Stark and Matthew Rolston and it's absolutely to die for daaaarrrrleeengs.

I'm having fun looking at Vegas options. Some of the suites are like mini palaces. The Wynn is looking good because I can play golf.... in the desert!

Ah me, decisions decisions.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 08:51 AM   #14
///Chase
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 16' m4

When i got o NYC i always stay in The Marriott Marquis Times Square, Its smack bang in the middle of times square! Such a nice hotel

And in LA, i always stay in the Roosevelt, nice hotel.. good prices aswell

have fun.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #15
Doing it for TV!
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazz View Post
That does look tempting. It would have to be the McLaren. May not ever see one of those let alone drive one.

Wish there was a similar experience for classic racers. Never happen because the damned things break so easily and cost a friggin fortune to repair. Can't get parts so everything has to be fabricated. But I digress.

Booked one hotel in upper East side and one near Times square. Both worked out to over $1200 per night. A bit more than I had anticipated.

Probably booking Four Seasons in SanFrancisco.

In L.A. have booked a place close to Hollywood and Vine. Has a 2 bed / 2 bath suite with experiential design influence by Phillipe Stark and Matthew Rolston and it's absolutely to die for daaaarrrrleeengs.

I'm having fun looking at Vegas options. Some of the suites are like mini palaces. The Wynn is looking good because I can play golf.... in the desert!

Ah me, decisions decisions.
Maybe a Mac vs 458 back to back comparo ? The instructors are pretty good, if you half follow their instructions they will let you go harder.. but if you act up from the onset.. well.. you know.
2015 M3 - Alpine White, HUD, Ext Leather
Appreciate 0