ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

How do I remove the Center Grill?

How do I remove the lower grill on my Z4M? Not the kidney grills, the lower grill.

Thx
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

It's a tough one Mike.
I'm in the middle of some work on my bumpers & just did mine.

You will definitely need to remove the bumper from the car.

The grill is held in place by a bunch of bayonet clips (clips are part of bumper)
One by one I had to pry clip down and lever grill off.
There are 16 of the little MOFOs

The rear bumper is even worse because of the smaller size & lack of space.

In short.....
If you don't REALY need to take it off...... Don't
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
It's a tough one Mike.
I'm in the middle of some work on my bumpers & just did mine.

You will definitely need to remove the bumper from the car.

The grill is held in place by a bunch of bayonet clips (clips are part of bumper)
One by one I had to pry clip down and lever grill off.
There are 16 of the little MOFOs

The rear bumper is even worse because of the smaller size & lack of space.

In short.....
If you don't REALY need to take it off...... Don't
I was afraid of that.

I don't actually need to take it off but I do need to get in behind the bumper. I am trying to get access to just above the overhang above the center grill in behind to mount some strong neodymium magnets. I have added some steel to the L part of my Skene brackets and am about to plasti dip those. I want to just be able to magnetically "clip" the plate and bracket assembly into place.

I have taken off the cover in the engine compartment to get down in behind the bumper area but the steel of the bumper and narrow gap for my arm make it impossible for me to get to the overhang from above.

So, I guess I can either get underneath and remove that shield or whatever its called underneath the engine to be able to reach up or take off the bumper. All I likely need to then is just slide the bumper out enough to access the overhang...it may not need to come all the way out. Also wondering if just taking off a kidney grill might give me access. Hmmm...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 07:28 PM   #4
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

I don't think you will get there from below.
Theres way to much congestion with the rad etc.

I did my magnets when I had the bumper off.

Its actually very easy to remove the bumper skin itself.
I've had it off several times now, I can do it in about 15 min.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

OK, I'll give it a shot. Thanks Ian!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 08:02 PM   #6
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW M COUPE

Garage List
I've done it a couple of times and if you have a compressor or electric drill with all the correct sizes of sockets you can do it in half an hour - if you bust up the connectors and the clips inside the fender wells you will not get it back together until they are replaced.

I would certainly pull off the kidney grills - that takes 20 seconds for both and you maybe able to get where you want to >?
2006 M COUPE - 380 total production, 1 of 40Imola Red produced for NA , ESS 455 Supercharger, Speedhut Gauges, VPM CLS wheels, 19" Hancooks, Stromung Exhaust, Carbon fibre accessories and black and white badging,
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 08:05 PM   #7
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MR silver grey

Garage List
Mike, not to hijack your thread, but since you're all up in that area at the moment............. one thing I noticed when I was installing my remote radar detector, was that the block of foam that is behind the bumper (middle section below the kidney grills and above the grill you want to remove) was lose ............. it's just sitting there and can be wiggled all around. Is this normal? I would have thought it would be glued or attached to the back of the plastic somehow.

John
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #8
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Mine was as well -not sure if the movement improves the crushing if hit ? I stuck it on with double sided tape when I had the bumper off - even though foam it clunked around a bit
2006 M COUPE - 380 total production, 1 of 40Imola Red produced for NA , ESS 455 Supercharger, Speedhut Gauges, VPM CLS wheels, 19" Hancooks, Stromung Exhaust, Carbon fibre accessories and black and white badging,
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 08:16 PM   #9
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbvac View Post
Mine was as well -not sure if the movement improves the crushing if hit ? I stuck it on with double sided tape when I had the bumper off - even though foam it clunked around a bit
Thanks, must be normal then.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 08:39 PM   #10
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Yeah, just noticed that myself tonight. Mine is loose as well...may just try to wedge it in there.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #11
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Just popped the kidney grills off (a lot easier than I thought it would be) and I think I will have enough wiggle room to get the magnets in there without removing the bumper.

On a side note, since I have these off, what's the vote...buy black out grills or just spray Plasti Dip on them as others have done?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #12
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike519 View Post
Just popped the kidney grills off (a lot easier than I thought it would be) and I think I will have enough wiggle room to get the magnets in there without removing the bumper.

On a side note, since I have these off, what's the vote...buy black out grills or just spray Plasti Dip on them as others have done?
Plasti Dip is probably cheaper. Since I was planing on mounting my radar antenna behind the grill, and I read that chrome, and even painted over chrome grills might affect the reading (not sure how accurate that is in the case of a plastic piece being chrome painted then blacked out) , I paid $100 for new all black ones, not painted over. I can say they are very nice grills. Try the Plasti Dip first and see how it turns out.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 02:56 PM   #13
drbvac
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike519 View Post

Again - I had all black, black with Chrome edges and now Carbon Fiber from SLeeze Bay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...M+e86&_sacat=0

AND i mounted my radar detector behind the grill and it works - only problem it is pretty low on the cars profile

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=521444
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 03:24 PM   #14
mike519
Captain
Canada
Rep

Just ordered the grills from ECS...on sale for $67.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 03:25 PM   #15
Shipkiller
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Me

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
Plasti Dip is probably cheaper. Since I was planing on mounting my radar antenna behind the grill, and I read that chrome, and even painted over chrome grills might affect the reading (not sure how accurate that is in the case of a plastic piece being chrome painted then blacked out) , I paid $100 for new all black ones, not painted over. I can say they are very nice grills. Try the Plasti Dip first and see how it turns out.
When I had to replace my kidney grills, I bought all new 'blacked out' one's. I got them from Ebay and they were a perfect fit. $45.00/set.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 06:42 PM   #16
antennahead
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipkiller View Post
When I had to replace my kidney grills, I bought all new 'blacked out' one's. I got them from Ebay and they were a perfect fit. $45.00/set.
Yea, they're cheap enough that I would do the same, versus the few dollars saved using Plasti Dip, but not everyone throws money at their Z like I do
Appreciate 0