BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i 2010

Question Can I use this 3m product

Searched my local hardware Home Depot and pep boys no one has 3m adhesive tape for cars I searched amazon and found this http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002MO...mw_dp_mpd?pd=1
Will this work? Thanks for help
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

You can, but this is what I would recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Heavy-Duty-...eywords=3m+vhb

Couple of small tips which you may already know: be sure to clean the surface where you are applying the tape with a rubbing alcohol (IPA) and water mix to pull off any product such as wax or sealant before apply the tape. This will ensure a better bond.

Also, heating the panel a bit (hot to the touch but not so hot that you can't put your finger on it) before applying the tape will help the tape adhere. Reheat the tape when you pull off the plastic to make it more pliable for the body piece you are connecting it to.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks alot Che just ordered it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat79 View Post
You can, but this is what I would recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Heavy-Duty-...eywords=3m+vhb

Couple of small tips which you may already know: be sure to clean the surface where you are applying the tape with a rubbing alcohol (IPA) and water mix to pull off any product such as wax or sealant before apply the tape. This will ensure a better bond.

Also, heating the panel a bit (hot to the touch but not so hot that you can't put your finger on it) before applying the tape will help the tape adhere. Reheat the tape when you pull off the plastic to make it more pliable for the body piece you are connecting it to.
Mods:-Berkexhaust -alpinaB3flash -CobbAP -Cobb FMIC -ER charge pipe tialQ bov -M3 front sway bar -M3 subframe bushings -M3 front upper and lower control arms -M3 guide rods -M3 rear upper control arms -Mfactory LSD -defiv lockdown kit -TC Kline SA coilovers /camber plates- HP rear toe arms
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep

Glad to hear it. Let us know your impressions. Just a fyi- the tape plastic is pretty tough to get off. Use a little razor knife or small screwdriver to pull it up.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I would prep the surface with 3M adhesive remover. You want to remove all the wax and silicone on the paint surface for the adhesive to adhere to the surface. This stuff always comes in handy when working on cars.

http://www.amazon.com/Specialty-adh-...hesive+remover

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
MLSavage
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i AW 6MT

Isn't there something other than tape we can use to affix the spoiler to the car? I thought I remembered something else being talked about.
      03-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #7
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSavage View Post
Isn't there something other than tape we can use to affix the spoiler to the car? I thought I remembered something else being talked about.
Yes, it is called "Beta link". I believe you can buy it direct from BMW. But be very careful... bc if you get the install wrong... it can be murder to correct your install mistakes.

Removing CF Spoiler Installed with Betalink
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=497842

CF Spoiler Install using the Betalink Adhesive
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212096

CF spoiler install DIY...

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
MLSavage
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i AW 6MT

Yikes, yeah I'll be using the tape when I do my install.
      03-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the tips sir

Quote:
Glad to hear it. Let us know your impressions. Just a fyi- the tape plastic is pretty tough to get off. Use a little razor knife or small screwdriver to pull it up.
And ill be sure to post pics
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2013, 01:36 PM   #10
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
I would prep the surface with 3M adhesive remover. You want to remove all the wax and silicone on the paint surface for the adhesive to adhere to the surface. This stuff always comes in handy when working on cars.

http://www.amazon.com/Specialty-adh-...hesive+remover

Always looking out for your fellow 1ers
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 08:08 AM   #11
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

What's up guys going to install my spoiler today , how log should I wait till I drive the car after the install?
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 09:14 AM   #12
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep

It doesn't take long to cure at all. When you push the spoiler down, hold it there for 90 seconds or so after heating up the tape. Be sure to do this with both sides.

You'll be able to feel how firm it sets. Pull on it a bit to see if it comes up- if you've prepped the surface of both the car and the bottom of the spoiler correctly, it should bond perfectly and be ready to drive right away.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #13
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Again thanks for the help

Quote:
It doesn't take long to cure at all. When you push the spoiler down, hold it there for 90 seconds or so after heating up the tape. Be sure to do this with both sides.

You'll be able to feel how firm it sets. Pull on it a bit to see if it comes up- if you've prepped the surface of both the car and the bottom of the spoiler correctly, it should bond perfectly and be ready to drive right away.
can't wait to put it on
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #14
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep

looking forward to seeing it. just make sure you line it up right- one that stuff bonds its a pain in the ass to move the lip
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #15
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

When you install the CF spoiler... I think I would use some large plastic clamps or those clamps on sliders with a soft rubber end(s). I would also use some blue painters tape to make the alignment of where the spoiler will go before adhering it to your trunk. I would also not drive the car for a day to let the 3M tape "cure".

Name:  clamps   3393532-769418-black-plastic-clamps-isolated-on-white.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  45.2 KB

Name:  clamps Quick-Grip-Clamp-with-ABS-Plastic.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  44.9 KB

This thread might come in handy... (Note the use pf tape and MF towels)

BMW OEM Carbon Fiber Spoiler Installed
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=607510

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #16
Joeyb7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M Sport - AW

I just installed my new performance spoiler today. A few things that I found helpful:

- Definitely heat up the old spoiler a bit first, then use floss to pull up a corner and insert a microfiber towel. It's tough, but the towel breaks the seal and it comes right off.

- Resist using adhesive remover right away....take it from me, if you can use your thumb to roll off the gunk left behind then do it. Use the adhesive remover only for the residual left over after rolling the bulk of it off.

- Polish the area either with a rotary or by hand. There will definitely be some dirt and faint lines left over from the stock spoiler. Polishing removed all of the existing dirt/adhesive marks. I did all of this on day one and left the install for the next day.

- tape up the spoiler with 3M double-sided tape. Definitely cover as much as possible and get it close to the edge, especially the corners.

- prep the trunk lid with alcohol, heat up the lid, remove the tape from the spoiler and then heat up the tape. To install I measured the night before just how much space should be left on each side of the spoiler. To install I started with a corner, laid the corner down lightly and lightly laid down the rest if the spoiler. I then pressed rather hard all across the spoiler for a few minutes....The bond was set. If you lay it down using its own weight first it's possible to pick it back up without having to use a soap/water mixture. I then used auto-grade painter's tape to tape the spoiler towards the edges.

After reading a number of posts that said that you need to cure the tape, weight down the edges for hours, etc I simply didn't have this experience. When this spoiler is down it's not going anywhere. While I taped mine down I can tell you that it's only to get a tighter seal, but I really don't think that it was necessary. Maybe this is the case with poor quality aftermarket spoilers, but my JBSpeed spoiler fit like a charm. I also would advise doing the removal one night and install the next.

Hope this helps! PM me if you new a hand.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #17
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyb7 View Post
After reading a number of posts that said that you need to cure the tape, weight down the edges for hours, etc I simply didn't have this experience. When this spoiler is down it's not going anywhere. While I taped mine down I can tell you that it's only to get a tighter seal, but I really don't think that it was necessary. Maybe this is the case with poor quality aftermarket spoilers, but my JBSpeed spoiler fit like a charm. I also would advise doing the removal one night and install the next.
I also had this experience. For me, the big difference was with the heating of the tape/surface. I think a lot of people skip (or don't know about) this step.

Once I heated them both and pushed the spoiler down for a minute or so, it was STUCK on there.

I'll also echo your sentiments about using adhesive remover for the old tape from the factory spoiler. Keep it as dry as possible and push it up with your thumb to remove it as much as you can. The remover will make the tape gummy and tacky and generally a pain in the ass to take off.

The remover is very helpful for getting the leftover residue, though. Like the poster above mentioned, proper prepping of the area is essential to creating a good bond. Make sure you use an alcohol solution to break down whatever detailing products you may have applied around the area.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #18
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the input

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyb7 View Post
I just installed my new performance spoiler today. A few things that I found helpful:

- Definitely heat up the old spoiler a bit first, then use floss to pull up a corner and insert a microfiber towel. It's tough, but the towel breaks the seal and it comes right off.

- Resist using adhesive remover right away....take it from me, if you can use your thumb to roll off the gunk left behind then do it. Use the adhesive remover only for the residual left over after rolling the bulk of it off.

- Polish the area either with a rotary or by hand. There will definitely be some dirt and faint lines left over from the stock spoiler. Polishing removed all of the existing dirt/adhesive marks. I did all of this on day one and left the install for the next day.

- tape up the spoiler with 3M double-sided tape. Definitely cover as much as possible and get it close to the edge, especially the corners.

- prep the trunk lid with alcohol, heat up the lid, remove the tape from the spoiler and then heat up the tape. To install I measured the night before just how much space should be left on each side of the spoiler. To install I started with a corner, laid the corner down lightly and lightly laid down the rest if the spoiler. I then pressed rather hard all across the spoiler for a few minutes....The bond was set. If you lay it down using its own weight first it's possible to pick it back up without having to use a soap/water mixture. I then used auto-grade painter's tape to tape the spoiler towards the edges.

Hope this helps! PM me if you new a hand.
Thanks man I was gunna do it the other day but was afraid it was to cold out here in Long Island I'm dying to install it!
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #19
Joeyb7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M Sport - AW

Good luck. I'm in the northeast too, but lucky enough to have a garage and a little room to work.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 08:29 AM   #20
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

What's up guys finally installed my spoiler today it's suppose to rain by 6-7 tonight here should I take precautions so the tape doesn't get ruined? Or 6-8 hours in the sun will cure it enough?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #21
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep

It'll be fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #22
Zombie1
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Alright great! Thanks
Appreciate 0