BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i 6MT MSport

Rear camber bolts?

Quick question but are there rear camber adjustments available on a stock 135i?

I havnt even taken a look at them myself, but i figured someone would know. I just need a tad more camber to not have to roll my fenders.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 12:04 PM   #2
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

Yes there is camber you can add back there.
      04-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions
Yes there is camber you can add back there.
Sweeeet. Do I need to adjust toe after the camber adjustment? I know that with my old Subaru, any camber adjustment required toe afterwards but the rear suspension design is not the same coil-over setup.
      04-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
bogart
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N55 DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [7.06]
There's an eccentric bolt on the lower control arm that can be used to adjust camber on the lower part of the suspension. The issue in the rear when talking about rubbing or not rubbing are the upper control arms. They don't have camber adjustment, only toe. So, that's why people switch over to adjustable control arms up top. Also, yes, you will have to make an adjustment to toe when a camber adjustment is made.
      04-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #5
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogart
There's an eccentric bolt on the lower control arm that can be used to adjust camber on the lower part of the suspension. The issue in the rear when talking about rubbing or not rubbing are the upper control arms. They don't have camber adjustment, only toe. So, that's why people switch over to adjustable control arms up top. Also, yes, you will have to make an adjustment to toe when a camber adjustment is made.
So trying to dial in a bit more negative camber to prevent rubbing isn't really feasible without adjustable UCAs?
      04-24-2013, 09:38 PM   #6
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
I was hoping someone would comment on this topic before I took my car to the shop. Also when I spoke to Harold at HPA he seemed to think that you could barely add any camber without causing toe issues.

I took my car in and I do not have any aftermarket adjustable rear parts and they were able to add 1.3deg more negative rear camber on each side. I had installed PSS's the same "size" as my prior Toyos which never rubbed and it rubbed pretty bad with the PSS's. This extra camber seems to have fixed most of my rubbing.

I plan to leave my car maxed out on rear camber like this for a while as I make other suspension adjustments, etc. The funny thing also to me is how each shop gets different measurements. This shop seemed to measure my camber about 0.5 deg less than other shops had before. Anyways, according to this shop I'm now at -2.3deg L and -2.7deg R rear camber. I have more toe than I want but this shop liked it because now it's within BMW specs, whereas before I had less toe than recommended..lol.

For some reason my front camber is even more uneven than in the rear. Actually I think this shop has the best alignment machine, the main annoying issue was the dorky front office tech. He kept arguing about which of my measurement were not within BMW specs, but I didn't want BMW specs. I'm sure I'll use this shop again so hopefully I'll get another tech. I also think next time I'll get them to start with 1M stats, they are much closer to what we want when our cars are lowered, etc.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 09:46 PM   #7
vantagesc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
I was hoping someone would comment on this topic before I took my car to the shop. Also when I spoke to Harold at HPA he seemed to think that you could barely add any camber without causing toe issues.

I took my car in and I do not have any aftermarket adjustable rear parts and they were able to add 1.3deg more negative rear camber on each side.
Not that I've investigated the amount of toe change per degree of camber, but I don't think you could classify an increase of 1.3 degrees as a situation where you "barely add any camber". To the contrary, that seems like a fairly significant change that makes it worth resetting toe. But I guess it depends on how precisely you like to align your car.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #8
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Yep Vantage, I agree. I told the shop they'd probably barely be able to add any, and they were able to add more than I wanted. You can just glance at my car now and tell I'm running tons of rear camber.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 11:15 PM   #9
Bordia
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Black 2009 135I

Saying both shops machines are accurate the difference may be fuel level was the car with a full tank on both?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 06:33 AM   #10
b1aze
Just one more taste...
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordia
Saying both shops machines are accurate the difference may be fuel level was the car with a full tank on both?
No way you can pick up 1.3* of camber in the rear from a full tank of gas. The rear suspension geometry doesn't react that way.
      04-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #11
cheshirecat79
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 370z & 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vantagesc View Post
Not that I've investigated the amount of toe change per degree of camber, but I don't think you could classify an increase of 1.3 degrees as a situation where you "barely add any camber". To the contrary, that seems like a fairly significant change that makes it worth resetting toe. But I guess it depends on how precisely you like to align your car.
Agreed- that much of a camber change will necessitate an update of the toe alignment if you don't want the inside of your tires to scrub off.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #12
Bordia
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Black 2009 135I

The difference between a empty tank and full tank should vary camber by around 30min or half a degree. What is your toe at because it is possible to get large amounts of camber but your toe ecentrics will be maxed out and still to possitive.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #13
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
My post must be confusing so I'll clarify if I can.

I took my car into an alignment shop to see how much rear camber could be added. They measured my pre-adjustment readings at 1.0deg R and 1.4deg L. After maxing out the stock rear camber bolt I now have 2.3deg R and 2.7deg L camber. My toe is within BMW specs but too high for me, 0.17 deg on each side. This is where the alignment shop wanted to set it and I had to leave for work so I'm not sure if you can get that much camber and still have 0 or close to zero toe.

Shops I had been to before had told me I had more like 1.7R and 1.9L camber but you could be right, that might just be gas, spare tire, etc.

Last edited by Eyeman; 04-25-2013 at 05:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2013, 05:52 PM   #14
int2str
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
I'm not sure if you can get that much camber and still have 0 or close to zero toe.
No problem.

I am now running -2 camber and 0 toe.
Before I was running even more camber @ 0 toe.
Appreciate 0