ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

04-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
sipman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Armour All Extreme Shield Wax Review

I received a sample last year, and only got around to using it this year. Should have tried it last year because there as a $10 rebate on the bottle.

I have to admit to not being a detailer. I try and make my black cars look good, and I've got a porter cable RA polisher, but to be able to express who make what cut, polish etc is a little beyond me.

That said, I've been using Mothers Carnuba, Meguir's Carnuba, and the Meguire's NXT Tech Wax.
I've been pleased with the look of all of them immediately after, but I always felt like the protection declined precipitously. I understand that black cars need washing often, but the beading properties of the above waxes seemed never to exceed a month.

I put the Armour All Extreme Shield wax sample on my wife's car. It looked good, but to be honest, I didn't do the side by side with other waxes to see if the color was 'deep' or whatever other adjectives detailers use to discuss what these things do to the paint. What I can tell you is it is basically wipe on/wipe off. No problems on plastic with white residue.

Man, does this stuff bead water! It's been two months of constant outdoors, and the stuff is still beading. Dirt washes off easier than in the past. Although, dust does dry on the paint. But the funny thing is the dried dust doesn't affect the beading ability.

The closest I can say, this stuff is like Rain-X for paint, only it seems to last longer!

I did two other cars so far, and washed the original two times since the application of Extreme Shield (still going strong).

What I can't tell you is how these work in combo. I once read an early review where someone wanted to put down Carnuba, and then this extreme shield top. I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I haven't tried it.

If you're like me and like a clean car, but have all sorts of demands on your time, I think you'll appreciate this product as you'll probably be able to reduce your previous wash and wax schedule to something like: wash, wash, wash and then wax, instead of having to wax every wash or every other wash.
      05-19-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipman View Post
I received a sample last year, and only got around to using it this year. Should have tried it last year because there as a $10 rebate on the bottle.

I have to admit to not being a detailer. I try and make my black cars look good, and I've got a porter cable RA polisher, but to be able to express who make what cut, polish etc is a little beyond me.

That said, I've been using Mothers Carnuba, Meguir's Carnuba, and the Meguire's NXT Tech Wax.
I've been pleased with the look of all of them immediately after, but I always felt like the protection declined precipitously. I understand that black cars need washing often, but the beading properties of the above waxes seemed never to exceed a month.

I put the Armour All Extreme Shield wax sample on my wife's car. It looked good, but to be honest, I didn't do the side by side with other waxes to see if the color was 'deep' or whatever other adjectives detailers use to discuss what these things do to the paint. What I can tell you is it is basically wipe on/wipe off. No problems on plastic with white residue.

Man, does this stuff bead water! It's been two months of constant outdoors, and the stuff is still beading. Dirt washes off easier than in the past. Although, dust does dry on the paint. But the funny thing is the dried dust doesn't affect the beading ability.

The closest I can say, this stuff is like Rain-X for paint, only it seems to last longer!

I did two other cars so far, and washed the original two times since the application of Extreme Shield (still going strong).

What I can't tell you is how these work in combo. I once read an early review where someone wanted to put down Carnuba, and then this extreme shield top. I don't see why it wouldn't work, but I haven't tried it.

If you're like me and like a clean car, but have all sorts of demands on your time, I think you'll appreciate this product as you'll probably be able to reduce your previous wash and wax schedule to something like: wash, wash, wash and then wax, instead of having to wax every wash or every other wash.
Did you just give the longest detailing product review without a single picture?
      05-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

Since you're short on time, try not to wash your car with water so much. Use Meguiars quick exterior detailer. It also has hydrophobic properties.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #4
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbosock
Since you're short on time, try not to wash your car with water so much. Use Meguiars quick exterior detailer. It also has hydrophobic properties.
Horrible advice unless you love swirls and scratches
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
Jumbosock
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 M coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Maybe my car doesn't get as filthy as yours?? Meguiar's detailer is lubricated just like soap is lubricated. No swirl marks if you know how to do it. You're not even supposed to make a swirl motion.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 07:15 AM   #7
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbosock View Post
Maybe my car doesn't get as filthy as yours?? Meguiar's detailer is lubricated just like soap is lubricated. No swirl marks if you know how to do it. You're not even supposed to make a swirl motion.
No it isn't. Completely false information.

Once you wash the car, it is instantly dirty again. Pollen in the air, along with other dirty particles immediately are on the paint.

Quick detailer with a towel will trap this, and move it all across the paint.

Doubt me if you will, my car is never dirty.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #8
GammaZeta
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbosock View Post
You're not even supposed to make a swirl motion.
Swirls aren't caused by rubbing in swirl motions. Swirls only APPEAR to be swirls because of the reflective properties of the thousands of micro-scratches in the paint.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
StickMon
My other car is on Mars
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 MR

+1^
Trick of the light.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #10
Living Dead
Zed Head
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
I purchased Armour All Extreme Shield last year and it does last quite a while as far as beading the water, in fact it lasted through the whole winter but the shining properties aren't great. The extreme dirt repelling properties seem to only last a week or two.

I've got a black Z4 and other products give a better shine, I've been partial to Turtle Wax Ice because of the ease of application and it give a nice shine and hides the many swirl marks that I haven't had the time to remove properly (I'd rather drive the car than clean it).
Appreciate 0