BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

Mporium BMW

05-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
bchang2001
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Negative effect of an accident on price

I was just wondering how much of a hit an accident on the carfax would effect the price of a car regardless of how big or small that accident was. Say I have 2 identical cars only difference was 1 had an accident and the other didn't. How much less would you pay for the one with the accident even if everything was fixed correctly.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

It usually falls immediately to rough wholesale value

The good thing about CARFAX is also the bad thing about CARFAX. It will tell you something, but not how much. You could disregard a perfect vehicle that had a bumper tapped, but because some idiot filed a police report or made a claim it can effect the long term value.

Negative CARFAX history reports seem to have less effect on the value of the vehicles the older they get it seems.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
mosborn78108
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2013 Frozen Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchang2001
I was just wondering how much of a hit an accident on the carfax would effect the price of a car regardless of how big or small that accident was. Say I have 2 identical cars only difference was 1 had an accident and the other didn't. How much less would you pay for the one with the accident even if everything was fixed correctly.
I had a 2008 Ford Edge the had a $300 hit and run to the very rear plastic bumper. On trade in the wanted to knock off $7,000 for the accident. Sold it privately for the owner sale price.

Mike
------------------
2013 Frozen Blue M3, Akropovic Exhaust
2011 Mini Clubman S
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
saveferris
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

If I am buying I would go with the car without damage - everything else being equal. These days it seems there is always one without damage if you keep looking.

I just bought a 135i and I ran across some that had documented accidents and those cars seemed to be $2-$4k less than similar cars that were accident free. I really didn't look at them but if it's literally a fender bender that's been documented and inspected and it's the car I want would use the damage as a negotiating tool.

On the other side I've sold two cars that had been in accidents, one a 2010 so it was relatively new. I never tried to trade it in and was up front with everyone who looked at it. The damage was all cosmetic but somewhat extensive - $2,500 to replace the front fascia, headlights, fenders...headlights are expensive these days. Since it was basically putting new panels on it didn't make any difference to the people looking at my car and I don't think it had any influence on the price - I had documented the whole thing so had good records. I wanted to see what CarMax would give me and see if I could get a really quick sale. They offered me $24,500 and I sold it private party for $30,00....told me they could not sell it on their lot, yada, yada...
Appreciate 0