BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #1
MIAblu1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Monaco Blue 135i

Low pressure fuel sensor woes

So recently I've posted about my car throwing an "engine malfunction" message after having changed my spark plugs. Long story short, I'd give it gas and it would act terribly sluggish and throw the message and being that it happened literally after changing plugs I assumed it was an issue with the plugs or coils. Got a scan done and it revealed fuel pump failure causing it to go into limp mode. I'm no longer under warranty so I made sure to get a diagnosis to be sure I'd be covered and since the pumps are covered for failure up to 100k miles, I took it to the dealer with full confidence I'd be covered.
A few hours after dropping off the car I got a call from my service rep saying the issue is the low pressure fuel sensor failing, causing the pump to cut out & of course that's NOT covered. For this $80 part I was looking at $135 for the diagnostic, $124 for the sensor and of course labor costs which racks up to $500. Needless to say I paid the $135 & took the car to buy the sensor on my own and do the swap which as I've been told is an hour's worth of work.
Let my experience serve as a lesson for you guys before heading to the stealership...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
ErvGotti
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i 6MT

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.00]
Unfortunately as you found out unless you have their OBD program that they run to test sensors fuel pressures in the rails and such there's no way to know exactly if it's the pump or sensor. Even a good Indy shop with the right troubleshooting tools usually charges a diagnostic fee though likely a lot less.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
MIAblu1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 Monaco Blue 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErvGotti View Post
Unfortunately as you found out unless you have their OBD program that they run to test sensors fuel pressures in the rails and such there's no way to know exactly if it's the pump or sensor. Even a good Indy shop with the right troubleshooting tools usually charges a diagnostic fee though likely a lot less.
I was actually wondering if there was a scanner/program we can buy personally to have on hand for such things. I know theres the one's on Burger Tuning's site, but i was wondering if it'd be worth it to buy not knowing if it could read such codes like sensors
Appreciate 0