ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Z4M: Water Pump Service at 80K

I am at 79.5K miles and about 82 track days on the car in the last 5yrs 9mos. I figured its time to switch out the pump just to be on the safe side. I have ordered up a new pump, thermostat, coolant temp sensor and all new gaskets from Tischer but since the pump was special order, I will have to wait until Tue/Wed of next week to put that back in.

Below is what I did to take the pump out of the car.

- Car in service position

- I drained the coolant from the radiator drain plug and block drain last night. I followed the same steps I did at the 50K flush documented below
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=538686

- Underbody panel removed (8mm bolts, Phillips head bolts)

- Airbox with MAF removed (disconnected MAF plug and 7mm socket or flat head screw driver for clamp)

- Thermostat housing and coolant hose on the right. The engine hoist bracket and the thermostat share the 3 long bolts on top.

- Take wire out of the little black plastic clip

- Removing coolant hose to the right of the thermostat housing and the 3 bolts on top. Then carefully pry up and forward the housing. You will not be able to remove it just yet as the coolant hose to the left is still attached.

- Belts removed next using T50 bit for the top belt tensioner and T45 for the bottom tensioner

- Loosen the clamp on the coolant hose to the left of the thermostat housing. I undid the hose off the thermostat housing from under the car. I was careful to not tug on the hose but to slowly work it off the housing.

- Thermostat housing should now lift off the car. In my case the thermostat stayed on top of the water pump and I could lift it away separately.

- Four water pump pulley bolts removed next (10mm box wrench or shallow socket will work). I broke the bolts loose before taking the belt off, but they did not seem super tight so after should work as well. I was able to get to all 4 from the top.

- Pry the water pump pulley off.

- Put aside pulley and thermostat with housing

- Water pump has 5 10mm bolts; 2 long ones on the top, 2 short ones on the right side and one short one under. This last one is hidden behind the crank pulley and I got to it from under the car.

- Water pump removed; I pulled it carefully forward as there is a pipe with o-ring behind the pump. Unlike e46 M3s, we don't have a side pipe going into the pump and that makes life a bit easier.

My water pump plastic impeller was intact and there was no bearing noise or excessive play in the pump. My guess is this is a perfectly healthy pump but I will put a new one in once it comes in.
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
bignosejim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 IB M Coupe

Wow, excellent writeup!! Nice pics. Did you order new radiator hoses also? If not you can get o-rings from bmp design

Do you have plans to replace the plastic hose from the expansion tank? I know people with older Z3M Coupes (s52) replace all plastic cooling system parts by 60k to avoid failures. I've also heard that our OEM pumps are better designed, just wondering what people think about the plastic parts on our cars (radiator end caps and expansion tank also).
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Great stuff here!
Thanks for writing up a very deltailed procedure
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

As others have already said, "thank you"! Wonderful stuff! These DIYs are so incredibly helpful!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
ZStig
instagram 997turbotom
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Z4MR

I had mine recently replaced at 70k miles, along with upper and lower hoses, and thermostat. definitely great for peace of mind. Too bad my $500 engine fan was the issue
      07-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #6
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

Are you installing a lower temp thermostat while you are in there?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
pal
Captain
Rep

No plan to switch hoses this time around. Plan to do that when I do the radiator possibly over the winter. I am still divided on whether I want to get an aftermarket radiator like a Mishimoto or Fluidyne or stick with another stock one??

The stock water pump does not seem to have any indicators of imminent failure but given my mileage and hot track days this summer, I figured it was some added insurance and peace of mind.

seank - I plan to install another stock temp thermostat in there at this time. I have not had issues with OE so far so figured why mess with something that works.

Speaking of OE, I do plan to delete the SAI pump in the near future more for simplifying the engine bay than anything else.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
seank
enthusiast
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal View Post
No plan to switch hoses this time around. Plan to do that when I do the radiator possibly over the winter. I am still divided on whether I want to get an aftermarket radiator like a Mishimoto or Fluidyne or stick with another stock one??

The stock water pump does not seem to have any indicators of imminent failure but given my mileage and hot track days this summer, I figured it was some added insurance and peace of mind.

seank - I plan to install another stock temp thermostat in there at this time. I have not had issues with OE so far so figured why mess with something that works.

Speaking of OE, I do plan to delete the SAI pump in the near future more for simplifying the engine bay than anything else.
Tell us more about sai removal. Will you get a cel?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #9
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by seank View Post
Tell us more about sai removal. Will you get a cel?
There's a SAI pump thread started here.....
http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=777450
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Awesome writeup, thanks for posting!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #11
beta
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Great job on the writeup, thanks for posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal View Post
Have you looked into zionsville?
      07-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #12
pal
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
Have you looked into zionsville?
Zionsville looks real nice and fitment looks perfect. This just went to the top of my list. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
mtrhed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 AW Z4MR/w211 e63 AMG/325XiT

Nice write up! Will definitely use when I do mine. Also like the look of the Zionsville setup.
Anthracite Apex EC-7 9F/9.5R, 245/275 Super Sport's, 17" Kosei K1 255/40r17 Direzza II, SS Lines, Pagid RS29, Ate SuperBlue, VT Comp. MM's, RE trans. mounts, AST 4150, Swift springs, Vorschlag camber plates, RE RSM, H&R swaybars, spherical rtabs, SuperFlex poly fcabs, StrongStrut Braces, Euro Headers, Stromung exhaust, ESS Tune, Eventuri intake
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 09:19 PM   #14
pal
Captain
Rep

Finished the reinstall today and also replaced the coolant temp sensor on a hard coolant line on lower passenger side.

Old seals removed off the 2 coolant pipes. The top one goes into the thermostat housing and the bottom one into the water pump. I used some dish soap on the new o-rings to ensure they did not bind when slid.

Old and new pump. The old pump had a little side to side play compared to the new one when you grab the black pulley mounting disc and moved side to side. Nothing significant but the play could be an indicator of wear starting.

New water pump gasket and bolts.

New water pump, thermostat and o-rings on.

Thermostat housing on and bolts ready to be tightened down.

Put in 2 gallons of water/coolant mixture in, started engine and turned heat and fan to max. Hooked up OBD2 Elm Can cable and started to monitor coolant temp sensor via Rev on iPhone. In parallel I was bleeding air from the system using bleed screw on coolant bottle.

Just past 180ºF, the thermostat opened and the lower hose coming off the thermostat housing on the passenger side got hot.

Put everything back together and took car for a spin. No leaks after the drive or 2 hours after car sat so installed underside panel.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2013, 09:45 PM   #15
seank
enthusiast
Rep

Sweet
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 07:49 AM   #16
Walkurie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 M Roadster / 99 Jaguar XK8

Outstanding! Thank you. Any tips on 'burping' the system when refilling?
      07-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #17
pal
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbalutis View Post
Outstanding! Thank you. Any tips on 'burping' the system when refilling?
If you look at my linked post on coolant flush I have details there. But I basically put about 2 gallons of 50/50 in there, started the car, turned heat to max and fan on full and let it idle. I left coolant cap off to let air bubble out as kept opening and closing the bleed screw on the coolant bottle until frothing stopped and only coolant poured out. I had lots of blue shop towels to not make a mess and was careful as the coolant started to get hot.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 05:49 AM   #18
Vanne
Down Under!!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC

Cool! Thx for the write up mate.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #19
Gt4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 Estoril blue 6mt

You should also consider to change the harmonic damper disc before 100k. They usually split in 2 pieces around 100k when you track the car a lot.

It happened on my E46 M3 and cost me an engine...
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 08:36 AM   #20
pal
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtfour View Post
You should also consider to change the harmonic damper disc before 100k. They usually split in 2 pieces around 100k when you track the car a lot.

It happened on my E46 M3 and cost me an engine...
Wow! First I have heard of this. Maybe I will go to a fluid damper by ATI that VAC sells??

Last edited by pal; 07-26-2013 at 09:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #21
Gt4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 Estoril blue 6mt

You can buy a new OEM replacement, no need for ATI in my opinion if the OEM part last 100k miles.

Take a look at my thread back in 2010. I also had a lightweight flywheel/clutch assy but basically the rubber between the 2 plates of the harmonic balancer gets dry or melt with heat.

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=326722
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2013, 04:51 AM   #22
pal
Captain
Rep

Thanks Gtfour. I have put this on my long list of maintenance items for the coming months.

On the water pump, I did 2 days at Summit Point Main this weekend and the car held together well so I am happy with the service.
Appreciate 0